Final degree classification

Watch this thread
flyhigh234
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm a bit confused about the overall degree classification. I know 1st year isn't counted, 2nd year makes up 25% without a placement, and 3rd year is 75%.

In the general regulations:
10.2.3 Borderline candidates
a) Candidates who are 0.5% or less below a boundary will be promoted automatically to the higher class.
b) Candidates whose mark falls within a 2.0% band below automatic promotion will be considered for promotion to the higher class.
c) Any candidate who has 50% or more of the 16 eligible units in the higher classification should be promoted automatically.

So by (b), technically if a student's final average is a minimum 67.5%, being 2% below the automatic promotion of 69.5%, they are still eligible for a promotion to the higher class, providing they get at least half of their overall grades in the higher classification? Or does the 2% band stops at 68%?

Thanks
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flyhigh234)
Hi, I'm a bit confused about the overall degree classification. I know 1st year isn't counted, 2nd year makes up 25% without a placement, and 3rd year is 75%.

In the general regulations:
10.2.3 Borderline candidates
a) Candidates who are 0.5% or less below a boundary will be promoted automatically to the higher class.
b) Candidates whose mark falls within a 2.0% band below automatic promotion will be considered for promotion to the higher class.
c) Any candidate who has 50% or more of the 16 eligible units in the higher classification should be promoted automatically.

So by (b), technically if a student's final average is a minimum 67.5%, being 2% below the automatic promotion of 69.5%, they are still eligible for a promotion to the higher class, providing they get at least half of their overall grades in the higher classification? Or does the 2% band stops at 68%?

Thanks
Hi there,

The mystery of classification regulations can be highly confusing. I believe that C does in fact correlate with the fact that that student also needs to fall into the prior 2% bracket. Without that logic you could technically be awarded a first class mark with an overall of 55%

Take it as you need to fulfill section B to have section C apply to you but let me look into this further for you and ask the people who wrote the regulations.

Josh
Drummer001
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hi there,

The mystery of classification regulations can be highly confusing. I believe that C does in fact correlate with the fact that that student also needs to fall into the prior 2% bracket. Without that logic you could technically be awarded a first class mark with an overall of 55%

Take it as you need to fulfill section B to have section C apply to you but let me look into this further for you and ask the people who wrote the regulations.

Josh
This is something that I would like confirming. Does this apply to 67.5% or is it 68% to be considered for upgrade to a first class degree?
ravens.requiem
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It says 2.0% BELOW automatic, therefore 67.5%. Devalues getting a first though if you just allow people getting a 2:1 to be promoted. However if you've got 8 modules as firsts but the other 8 drag you down, it seems that 67.5% becomes automatically a first. I doubt they'd invoke C without B being in play first though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (23)
26.14%
It went fairly well (37)
42.05%
It didn't go too well (16)
18.18%
TERRIBLE! (12)
13.64%

Watched Threads