The Student Room Group

Anyone read Haruki Murakami?

basically I've read Norwegian wood (it's amazing btw) and now reading Colourless. anyone recommendation of any other authors whose novels are of a similar type/style?
Reply 1
Can't think of any other writers of the top of my head but it's nice to meet someone else who's read something by Haruki Murakami!
I simply had to comment on this thread, as I've literally just added a quote from Norwegian wood by Haruki Murakami to our bookmarks.

If you haven't heard, Wordery's an online bookshop and with every order we add a free bookmark, which includes a quote and today we choose a new one to be printed on the next batch, which so happens to be from Haruki Murakami.

It's great to see some fans of his :smile:
Original post by harrypotter121
basically I've read Norwegian wood (it's amazing btw) and now reading Colourless. anyone recommendation of any other authors whose novels are of a similar type/style?

Hope you don't mind me posting but here's a couple of recommendations for you; David Peace, Kazuo Ishiguro and David Mitchell. :smile:
Original post by Sarah at Wordery
Hope you don't mind me posting but here's a couple of recommendations for you; David Peace, Kazuo Ishiguro and David Mitchell. :smile:

thank you!!
Reply 5
Haven't read Murakami but I did read Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, which was extraordinary. It left quite a deep impact on me after reading it.
Interesting that people seem to be seeking commonality in "Japaneseness", since Murakami is the least Japanese of all Japanese authors, and neither belongs to nor has created a school of Japanese mundane magic realism. Obvious similarities and even clear influences can be found in Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Thomas Pynchon and Don DeLillo.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel
Interesting that people seem to be seeking commonality in "Japaneseness", since Murakami is the least Japanese of all Japanese authors, and neither belongs to nor has created a school of Japanese mundane magic realism. Obvious similarities and even clear influences can be found in Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Thomas Pynchon and Don DeLillo.

I wasn't really seeking commonality in Japaneseness; I mentioned Ishiguro because he had been mentioned a couple of posts previously and I so enjoyed the book of his I read.
My friend is practically begging me to read her copy of Norwegian Wood. He's certainly an author I've had an interest in, along with Ishiguro, Mitchell and most of the other authors mentioned in this thread.
Given that my friend is offering me Norwegian Wood, and I own The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go, and most of David Mitchell's books on by TBR pile, any recommendations for what to go with first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending