Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've started doing practice 12 mark questions in sociology but I'm really not sure about how exactly I'm supposed to structure it.
    The question I'm writing about is about how far sociologists would agree that men in society are more powerful than women; I know that I need to write about certain perspectives such as Marxists, functionalists and feminists and what they think but from that I don't know how to write it, do I put in a conclusion, do I compare and contrast etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm assuming this is GCSE and having just taken my GCSEs in this, this is what we get taught to do:
    •Introduction
    Stay brief and basically just say 'some sociologists e.g. Feminists agree with this statement, whereas others disagree e.g. Functionalists (you could list your factors)
    •3 paragraphs agreeing with statement
    - Radical Feminists believe men are the most powerful sex in society and use their power to exploit women
    - Marxists Feminists believe ruling class men are more powerful than women and the lower classes
    - In general feminists see men as more powerful in the institutions of society- talk about separate conjugal roles in the family, most head teachers being male and the lack of women in politics
    • 3 paragraphs against the statement
    - Functionalists believe society is completely equal and see society through 'rose-coloured spectacles', they also believe society is a meritocracy and therefore men are not more powerful and both women and men have equal chances and power in society
    - Liberal Feminists do believe men are more powerful, but believe that in recent years society has become more equal between men and women- talk about the 'March of Progress' of women
    - Some sociologists in general believe society is now equal e.g. Due to the equal pay act and sex discrimination acts in the 1970s which prevented sexism in the workplace- you could also say now there are joint conjugal roles in the family and many more women have highly respected professions and are found more often in politics (for example with Margaret Thatcher)
    • Brief conclusion
    - Therefore some sociologists agree whereas others disagree (summarise previous points briefly) and add your own view- but only a simple one-statement sentence of what you think as it is the main body of your essay that really counts

Please don't just copy what I've put- expand and try to think of your own points Hope I've helped and feel free to private message me if you need any other help with sociology as I do really enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan_)
    Hi I'm assuming this is GCSE and having just taken my GCSEs in this, this is what we get taught to do:
    •Introduction
    Stay brief and basically just say 'some sociologists e.g. Feminists agree with this statement, whereas others disagree e.g. Functionalists (you could list your factors)
    •3 paragraphs agreeing with statement
    - Radical Feminists believe men are the most powerful sex in society and use their power to exploit women
    - Marxists Feminists believe ruling class men are more powerful than women and the lower classes
    - In general feminists see men as more powerful in the institutions of society- talk about separate conjugal roles in the family, most head teachers being male and the lack of women in politics
    • 3 paragraphs against the statement
    - Functionalists believe society is completely equal and see society through 'rose-coloured spectacles', they also believe society is a meritocracy and therefore men are not more powerful and both women and men have equal chances and power in society
    - Liberal Feminists do believe men are more powerful, but believe that in recent years society has become more equal between men and women- talk about the 'March of Progress' of women
    - Some sociologists in general believe society is now equal e.g. Due to the equal pay act and sex discrimination acts in the 1970s which prevented sexism in the workplace- you could also say now there are joint conjugal roles in the family and many more women have highly respected professions and are found more often in politics (for example with Margaret Thatcher)
    • Brief conclusion
    - Therefore some sociologists agree whereas others disagree (summarise previous points briefly) and add your own view- but only a simple one-statement sentence of what you think as it is the main body of your essay that really counts

Please don't just copy what I've put- expand and try to think of your own points Hope I've helped and feel free to private message me if you need any other help with sociology as I do really enjoy it!
    Never been interested in Sociology
    But from what you just wrote Sociology sounds amazing!
    But then I know way too many people picking up Sociology AS thinking it would be okay/great and it turns out it's rubbish ( for them)
    Is Sociology GCSE good ? What topics do you study? Will you be taking it up to AS or not? Could you please give me a brief evaluation of the course content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmosandy)
    Never been interested in Sociology
    But from what you just wrote Sociology sounds amazing!
    But then I know way too many people picking up Sociology AS thinking it would be okay/great and it turns out it's rubbish ( for them)
    Is Sociology GCSE good ? What topics do you study? Will you be taking it up to AS or not? Could you please give me a brief evaluation of the course content?
    I absolutely love sociology and find it really, really interesting- not least because it's something I had never studied before GCSE so I was very keen to learn everything I could! With AQA you study 6 topics out of 7- split into 2 exams each lasting 1 hour 30 minutes. At my school we study:
    -Studying society/research methods (where you learn the theories such as functionalism, types of sampling, ethical issues, key terms etc- probably the easiest section of the exam as often the questions have the same pattern but some say it is the most boring)
    -Education (you learn about differences in educational achievement due to Class, Ethnicity and Gender and Government policies to raise attainment)
    -Family (you learn types of families, debate whether or not the family is symmetrical- i.e. whether men and women are equal in the family, and learn what factors influence whether the family is symmetrical and why the family has become more child-centred etc.)
    -Crime and Deviance (learn about the typical criminal, why certain people are more likely to commit crimes and appear in crime statistics and again Government policies to reduce crime)
    -Mass Media (learn theories about media influence, whether the portrayal of people by the media is realistic or stereotypical and how the media is regulated)
    -Social Inequality (basically an accumulation of everything previously learnt- why and in what circumstances there is inequality between groups in society and the consequences this can have)
    The other topic is Power, but I'm not entirely sure what that entails due to not having studied it!

It is probably harder to take up AS Sociology if you haven't done it for GCSE; however, most schools start from the beginning as to allow people who previously didn't take sociology to take it which means it is easier than taking up other subjects you haven't previously studied.

I wish I was taking A Level sociology but I'm moving schools for sixth form and my new school unfortunately do not offer it! I'm considering studying it at university though or as joint honours with another subject as I enjoy it so much!
    I would certainly recommend sociology to anyone looking to try a new subject, but there are quite a few definitions to learn (and Government Policies) and it is a very essay-based subject as the exam is mostly made up of 4 to 12 mark questions and the timing in the exam is very tight with only a minute per mark. Having said that, I still believe it is an incredibly interesting subject, but maybe ask your own school what exam board they do and do some of your own research from that! The grade boundaries also tend to be quite high, but this shouldn't be a problem if you enjoy it and thus do not mind revising it!

Hope that helped somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hz_mia)
    I've started doing practice 12 mark questions in sociology but I'm really not sure about how exactly I'm supposed to structure it.
    The question I'm writing about is about how far sociologists would agree that men in society are more powerful than women; I know that I need to write about certain perspectives such as Marxists, functionalists and feminists and what they think but from that I don't know how to write it, do I put in a conclusion, do I compare and contrast etc?
    talk about patriarchy srry if I spell wrong

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.