Failing modules in first year? How does it work?

Watch
sticky0wl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

Okay I'm doing Mechanical Engineering and I'm in first year.

Please no comments of 'It's only first year, your grades don't count' because I'm not worried about getting a 2:2 or a 2:1, I am talking in the context of actually not getting the minimum 40% overall on some modules.

I've really struggled with personal issues this year, and have put in for some mit circs but I don't know how much that will aid me. Anyway, I've had 4 exams and so far done 2 out of 4.

I am pretty certain to around 90% that I've got less than the points I needed to get the minimum 40% module overall mark.

So can someone tell me what happens when this occurs?
I know there are resits in august and they have to be paid for.

But what if I failed more than 2 modules? I feel like I may only get 3 out of 6 modules passed.

Will it be as simple as applying for 3 resits in august and nothing else is said? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, as you can imagine I'm pretty nervous right now.
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 5 years ago
I'd imagine you would just pay for the 3 resits. Have you checked your course handbook properly?
sticky0wl
Rep:
?
(Original post by FreedomCostsTax)
I'd imagine you would just pay for the 3 resits. Have you checked your course handbook properly?
This sounds daft but I honestly don't remember getting one.

I've tried asking my tutor but he likes to explain things in a very convoluted manner and I get very very confused.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It obviously depends on your uni, so ask your head of department.

Some unis just require you to pass overall, even if you fail in a couple of units. Others will offer you the opportunity to resit if you fail - some requiring you to resit all the modules you failed (even if you passed overall), not just enough to scrape a pass.
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sticky0wl)
This sounds daft but I honestly don't remember getting one.

I've tried asking my tutor but he likes to explain things in a very convoluted manner and I get very very confused.
It should be available on your VLE. Try not to worry too much though. If you do fail, you won't be the only one. The first year is just about getting used to things, so low marks and retakes are nothing unusual.
sticky0wl
Rep:
?
I am told that with mine, even if you attain a 40% overall for the entire year, you still require a 40% minimum in all 6 modules to pass the year which is fair.

But is there a chance they can say 'No, you failed too many modules and therefore we won't let you resit'?
sticky0wl
Rep:
?
(Original post by FreedomCostsTax)
It should be available on your VLE. Try not to worry too much though. If you do fail, you won't be the only one. The first year is just about getting used to things, so low marks and retakes are nothing unusual.
Thank you Yah I don't think I'll be alone at all in this situation. I'm just worried in case they say I cannot resit for some reason?

I'm 24, this is sort of my last chance really and it just happens I've had a bad year so I fell in some modules in places and it meant I needed a high % of my exams to pass which I am certain I can't get.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads