Driving Theory Help???

Watch
GonvilleBromhead
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I failed due to really weird questions about things I have never seen in the highway code or practice material for example 'Are you allowed to have someone in a caravan if its being towed' or 'what does this sign mean (googled it after and it was literally the sign for like fish leaping the road or something) and I wonder if anyone has a link to a more comprehensive collection of material because I have never been asked so many obscure and inane questions in all my life.

Whilst I am complaining can someone explain the logic of questions about exact stopping distances (wtf does 53m look like on a road), about the car itself (ie what is a catalytic converter for as somehow knowing this benefits me?) or the difference between a pelican and toucan crossing. I know the two second rule (four in rain), that the car has emissions and that I cant run people/horses/fish over particularly so at crossings so why do I need to answer questions that have no relevance to anything other than being needlessly pedantic?

As you can probably tell, quite frustrated as I feel cheated given I got 68 on the perception bit and have been driving for a long time prior (mock practical's vary between 1 - 6 minors) so any help would be appreciated

EDIT - GCSE did teach me what a catalytic converter is aha but thanks to the only person who replied so far =) I just don't see why its on the theory test
kandykissesxox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey the catalytic converter remove CO, NOx and unburned hydrocarbons from the exhaust gases and turn them into ‘harmless’ CO2, N2and H2O.
They are ceramic and are covered in a thin layer or Palladium, Rhodium or Platinum which gives a large surface area
PsychNerd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
x
No you’re not allowed in any circumstances to have someone in a caravan whilst it’s being towed, mainly due to safety e.g. if there’s an accident then chances are that person is going to be seriously injured.

I think the sign you’re talking about is the one of the toad? It basically just means you’re near a toad crossing point.

Pelican crossings have a flashing amber light which requires you to give way to pedestrians on the crossing, if it’s safe to go whilst the amber light is flashing then you can. Usually they have a beeping sound when pedestrians are crossing.

Toucan crossing is a crossing used by both pedestrians and cyclists.

Most of the questions are based on common sense, but all of the road signs and questions about crossings are in the highway code you just have to read it thoroughly.

For my theory I just practised by doing mock tests such as this - http://toptests.co.uk, the first few are easy and then it gets harder, but I’d say if you get all of those questions right then you’d be fine in your theory test. But do look at the highway code as well!

Hope this helps
GonvilleBromhead
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Cheers, clearly I didn't retain as much of the book as I thought lol. I find it frustrating all the ridiculous stuff you need to know when realistically you don't as I asked the questions to relatives who have been driving upwards of twenty years and they didn't know either yet they are great drivers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads