The Student Room Group

Rabbit killed live on air in Denmark

Hi, I don't know if any of you guys have seen reports of this story? It's been reported on Sky news, NBC, the BBC, and the Guardian, Independent, and probably everywhere else by now too. Basically some Danish radio presenter thought it would be a good crack to beat a baby rabbit to death live on air to 'highlight the hypocrisy' of meat-eaters who claim to support animal rights. His name is Asger Juhl, and a quick google search will supply you with all the horrific details.

I was so angry about this, that I used google translate to find a feedback form to the radio station, Radio24syv, and gave them a piece of my mind. The form can be found here: http://support.radio24syv.dk/hc/da/requests/new

The way this radio station has used an animal's suffering and killing to try to garner publicity and titillate its listeners is despicable. Most of you guys probably do eat meat (I've been veggie since I was 14), and I totally respect people's choice to do so. But there is a massive difference between killing and eating an animal because of hunger or to stay healthy, and using its gratuitous killing to self promote yourself, like this guy has done. Animals are living creatures, and they're not property to be dispatched on a whim as you see fit, for people's entertainment. Nor is there any intellectual merit in killing one on air, to 'prove' your ridicuous point. This is the kind of thing you would expect from Azerbaijan or Russia, or some other ****hole country with no respect for life - human or otherwise. So please, people, tell these people just what a disgrace they are to Denmark and to the whole EU!

PS: I also have two pet bunnies myself, so this story has really upset me :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i dont like the act but understand the principle-
we are massive hypocrites- you love your pet bunnies but (unless you're veggie) eat animals like cows and pigs- that are actually far more intelligent just bc we have abstractly decided that they are 'farm animals' and thus edible..

edit- i saw you said you're a veggie so im sorry aha!
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you a vegetarian because you think it is morally wrong to kill anaimals or because you don't like meat?

I don't really see the problem with what this guy did to be honest, he humanely (as far as I can tell) killed the animal and then responisibly took the rabbit home and ate it.

I have killed probably over 100 rabbits for multitide of reasons not just for the meat. Killing animals is not a simple black and white "killing is worng unless it is for survival".
Maybe next they'll kill some migrant workers in Qatar to show that watching the World Cup in 2022 whilst also thinking people shouldn't die for no reason is hypocritical.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Are you a vegetarian because you think it is morally wrong to kill anaimals or because you don't like meat?

I don't really see the problem with what this guy did to be honest, he humanely (as far as I can tell) killed the animal and then responisibly took the rabbit home and ate it.

I have killed probably over 100 rabbits for multitide of reasons not just for the meat. Killing animals is not a simple black and white "killing is worng unless it is for survival".

then let's just start killing all the migrants from Africa, considering they provide no use for us but money.
Nobody in the west eats meat for survival these days, people eat it because they like it. And it's not healthier, vegetarians have higher life expectancies than meat eaters, as evidenced by the Sims 3.

What's the difference between killing an animal for the pleasure of eating it and killing an animal for the pleasure of killing it? That's what I fail to understand.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joshale
then let's just start killing all the migrants from Africa, considering they provide no use for us but money.

African migrants don't provide us money
Reply 7
Original post by Wahrheit
African migrants don't provide us money

I know, I meant they cost us money, million or billions.
if it had to be done in this country then surely the rabbit slayer would have to be:

Spoiler

:getmecoat:
Original post by Joshale
I know, I meant they cost us money, million or billions.

Ah ok then, Was confused for a sec :smile:
Reply 10
What's the difference between killing an animal for the pleasure of eating it and killing an animal for the pleasure of killing it? That's what I fail to understand.

I don't know why you fail to understand that. Pleasure of eating is normal. Pleasure of killing is not normal. ... What more is there to say?
Definitely agree with the hypocrisy as many are saying, despite the absolutely unnecessary murder of the bunny. Anyone who finds this shocking should also realise that there is no difference between killing a calf, piglet or lamb. And those who don't find it shocking because he "responsibly went home and ate it" should question why they think it's okay to kill and eat animals despite living in a society where there is no need to anymore.
The reason for death - be it for self-promotion or 'survival' - is irrelevant; murder is murder.
Original post by Reord
I don't know why you fail to understand that. Pleasure of eating is normal. Pleasure of killing is not normal. ... What more is there to say?

Pleasure of eating a dead animal is normal but pleasure for making an animal a dead animal isn't? Wut?
Original post by Deathinmycoffee
Definitely agree with the hypocrisy as many are saying, despite the absolutely unnecessary murder of the bunny. Anyone who finds this shocking should also realise that there is no difference between killing a calf, piglet or lamb. And those who don't find it shocking because he "responsibly went home and ate it" should question why they think it's okay to kill and eat animals despite living in a society where there is no need to anymore.
The reason for death - be it for self-promotion or 'survival' - is irrelevant; murder is murder.

You should pick up a dictionary. Murder can only be committed by humans to humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the life of living being on earth. We live in the world of exploiting. Humans kill animals. Animals kill humans. Humans kill humans. Animals kill animals. But humans just like making publicity for themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by DiddyDec

Well, initially I went veggie during the Mad Cow disease scare 18 years ago because the whole thing (pictures on the news of piles of dead cows, grotesque and unnatural profiteering through the industrialism of the meat industry, etc) seemed really disgusting and the cavalier disregard for public health was shocking. But after a couple of years of not eating meat, I kinda stopped viewing it as 'food' (in the same way most people would not look at a human carcass and think 'dinner'), and I became a bit more sympathetic to the ethical arguments. But don't get me wrong- my boyfriend eats meat, I'm not a psycho about it (although I have been vegan for over a year now, haha).

I get why people would kill rabbits to protect their crops, or stop their property being damaged, and I get that most people don't mind eating meat. What I find so objectionable about what the radio station did was that they've framed this stunt as being about 'awareness raising', and to call out other people's hypocrisy. But, rather like beating a young child on air to highlight how awful people's cruelty to children is, they're the hypocrites themselves for perpetrating this. The rabbit did not have to die so this jerk could make a point.

And I don't think clubbing a rabbit round the head three times in a studio actually is a humane way to kill it (a nine week old bunny's skull is like paper and it should not take more than one blow to kill it), and I also wonder how many young kids were scarred for life hearing this on the radio. Or how many unhinged people might think it's an acceptable thing to do to local wildlife/stray pets. There's a reason killing animals goes on in either private countryside hunts, or in abattoirs, and it's because the majority of people, both meat-eating so-called 'hypocrites' or vegans like me, absolutely do not want to see it happen. It's not entertainment, it's not 'pushing the boundaries'- it's just sick and wrong to use a defenceless animal's killing to cast yourself as some kind of heroic pioneer. An animals death shouldn't be a publicity stunt- that's despicable.
Attention and controversy seeking junky is what this is all about.
Pleasure of eating a dead animal is normal but pleasure for making an animal a dead animal isn't? Wut?

I enjoy eating bacon. I wouldn't enjoy killing a pig. I think that's a pretty common viewpoint, tbh.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I enjoy eating bacon. I wouldn't enjoy killing a pig. I think that's a pretty common viewpoint, tbh.

Yeah I know, it's more of a "what a weird world we live in when you take a step back from it" comment, but I think eating meat is just too engrained in people's heads. Personally I find the idea abhorrent, I'd much sooner kill a pig than eat one.
Yeah I know, it's more of a "what a weird world we live in when you take a step back from it" comment, but I think eating meat is just too engrained in people's heads. Personally I find the idea abhorrent, I'd much sooner kill a pig than eat one.

Weirdly enough, all this talk has made me consider going veggie myself. Any sort of animal cruelty makes me want to be sick but I know that's what happens whenever I eat delicious, delicious meat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending