The Student Room Group

Do girls like being told they look like someone?

I plan to compliment a girl by saying she looks like an actress who is really pretty.
Do girls like this or would they be insulted?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I plan to compliment a girl by saying she looks like an actress who is really pretty.
Do girls like this or would they be insulted?

Depends on the girl but if it's a beautiful actress, then probably not.
As long as the comparison is pretty there's no prob
Reply 3
"you look like <insert name of attractive actress/model/singer/etc>" - good
"you look like gollum/any man ever" - bad

Simple.
i did it once and the girl kept saying nooo, nooo.. and my other mates were like damn yes you do..

too bad she didn't accept it. The actress I was comparing her to was really pretty
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski

Simple.

I learned this one the hard way :/ we were good friends so i took the liberty of describing her as looking like she could be Anton Du Beke's sibling... she didnt talk to me for weeks :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by thecatwithnohat
As long as the comparison is pretty there's no prob

Original post by Drewski

Simple.

Original post by Ripper Phoenix
i did it once and the girl kept saying nooo, nooo.. and my other mates were like damn yes you do..

too bad she didn't accept it. The actress I was comparing her to was really pretty

The actress I am talking about is Anna Camp... opinions?
Original post by Anonymous
The actress I am talking about is Anna Camp... opinions?

She's very pretty and elegant, don't see why the girl in question would get offended :h:
So long as the person is not ugly or male, it should be fine.

My friend told me gleefully last year that I look like Daniel Radcliffe. I'M A BLOOMIN GIRL. I would not speak to him for the rest of the morning, I was so upset. :bawling:
Original post by Maid Marian
So long as the person is not ugly or male, it should be fine.

My friend told me gleefully last year that I look like Daniel Radcliffe. I'M A BLOOMIN GIRL. I would not speak to him for the rest of the morning, I was so upset. :bawling:

Maybe he means you're bad at acting.

I told a girl she looked like a glamour model as a compliment once though and she got mad lmao.
It obviously depends on who you're comparing them to.
Everything that I could say has been said - simply if it's for a pretty actress or someone who you genuinely think is funny / pretty then it's good. If it's not, then you'll get a very angry girl

However, I've been compared to celebrities before and although it was very kind it made me feel a bit uncomfortable, as they are so pretty and I know I'm not as attractive as them. Then again, the reason you're complimenting her is to make her feel better, so hopefully she has a bit more self confidence in her looks than I did.

Mo
Its not insulting: as long as you dont have any bad intentions by making that comment.

Personally, i dont like being compared to anybody, on what ever basis. I think its the feeling of not being perceived as an individual, perhaps, that i dont like.
I think it's kinda strange you're planning a compliment in advance...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well isn't this Mr Collins-esque...

And it's fine I think if there is a bit of resemblance (GOOD resemblance, not like 'You look like her ugly twin'....) oh and if the person in question doesn't detest the actor/singer/whatever.
Surely you know the answer to this before you asked?
Yeah she would get flattered
I got compared to emma stone and lucy hale. It was a massive ego boost even though I look nothing like them. If the celebrity is pretty, then the girl will appreciate it massively.
For me, it depends on the personality of the comparison actress and whether or not I agree with the similarity in our appearance.

Eg. Once I was told I looked like Jennifer Lawrence which I was happy with because, in the photo in question, I could see the resemblance and also because Jennifer Lawrence seems to be an intelligent, conscientious person.

If someone told me I looked like Kristen Stewart, however, I would not be happy because I don't look anything like her (so I would be suspicious of the person's eyesight/intelligence/motives) and because she seems to be drippy, immoral and can't act.
Original post by Plumstone
For me, it depends on the personality of the comparison actress and whether or not I agree with the similarity in our appearance.

Eg. Once I was told I looked like Jennifer Lawrence which I was happy with because, in the photo in question, I could see the resemblance and also because Jennifer Lawrence seems to be an intelligent, conscientious person.

If someone told me I looked like Kristen Stewart, however, I would not be happy because I don't look anything like her (so I would be suspicious of the person's eyesight/intelligence/motives) and because she seems to be drippy, immoral and can't act.

Original post by Emily.97
Its not insulting: as long as you dont have any bad intentions by making that comment.

Personally, i dont like being compared to anybody, on what ever basis. I think its the feeling of not being perceived as an individual, perhaps, that i dont like.

My concern is that she is 14 and the actress in question is like 30... (even though she doesn't look it).
My intention is to compliment and be nice, not to be mean!

How am I supposed to know what her opinions are of the actress anyway? Or even if SHE thinks Anna Camp is pretty..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending