Nutella_Balls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've got a maths, sorry, mathEMATICs exam real soon and i don't know when or where or how to use the Sine and Cosine rule...someone help me and i'll bring your rep uuuup!
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nutella_Balls)
I've got a maths, sorry, mathEMATICs exam real soon and i don't know when or where or how to use the Sine and Cosine rule...someone help me and i'll bring your rep uuuup!
Name:  TriangleABC.gif
Views: 146
Size:  1.1 KB
So if we look at the labelled triangle.

Use the sine rule if you have two sides and their corresponding angles. For example A and a, with B and a. Your missing angle/side will be part of these pairs.

You can use the sine rule to find an angle or a side. Whatever you're finding will be the numerator. So if you're finding a side, both numerators are your side lengths (one which is unknown and one which is known) and the denominators will be your angles - remember to do sin(90) if the angle is 90 not just 90.

If you're finding an angle, you do the opposite, so the two numerators will be the sine angle things. When calculating an angle, ensure than you do the inverse sign of it - i.e. sin^-1(your rearranged formula).

Use the cosine rule if you have two sides and an angle between those two sides. You can then rearrange it for different lengths and angles.

Watch a video on youtube if it doesn't make sense. Also make sure you're confident in rearranging the sine rule!
Nutella_Balls
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
Name:  TriangleABC.gif
Views: 146
Size:  1.1 KB
So if we look at the labelled triangle.

Use the sine rule if you have two sides and their corresponding angles. For example A and a, with B and a. Your missing angle/side will be part of these pairs.

You can use the sine rule to find an angle or a side. Whatever you're finding will be the numerator. So if you're finding a side, both numerators are your side lengths (one which is unknown and one which is known) and the denominators will be your angles - remember to do sin(90) if the angle is 90 not just 90.

If you're finding an angle, you do the opposite, so the two numerators will be the sine angle things. When calculating an angle, ensure than you do the inverse sign of it - i.e. sin^-1(your rearranged formula).

Use the cosine rule if you have two sides and an angle between those two sides. You can then rearrange it for different lengths and angles.

Watch a video on youtube if it doesn't make sense. Also make sure you're confident in rearranging the sine rule!
Whatchu talkin' bout...REARRANGING the sine rule?? Surely they won't ask me that....will they?
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whatchu talkin' bout...REARRANGING the sine rule?? Surely they won't ask me that....will they?
Yeppers - it's easy to rearrange you just flip everything upside down. (Not sure how to post formulas on TSR, but Google it you'll see the rearranged version)

On an unrelated note, you also need to be able to rearrange the cosine rule, which I find awful to rearrange - best idea is to learn the rearranged version (as they give you the normal one), unless you are confident in rearranging.
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They will and it's super duper easy!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  498.1 KB
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  0.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  15.2 KB - sine rule, normal and rearranged. Very simple to do
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Perhaps a trip to YouTube to help you fully understand it.
Nutella_Balls
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
Perhaps a trip to YouTube to help you fully understand it.
I took that trip two weeks ago. Not useful. Any channels in particular?
Oh but thats for that pic, I'll be sure to make it my screensaver
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took that trip two weeks ago. Not useful. Any channels in particular?
Oh but thats for that pic, I'll be sure to make it my screensaver
https://www.youtube.com/user/jayates79 - he is amazing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (360)
84.11%
No (68)
15.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed