The Student Room Group

Should Gay people be able to adopt?

What is your opinion i think they should be able to because the arguement that no because they will have no father or mother figure is stupid as many people are raised by a single parent they have no father or mother figure and they are normal. Some say no because they think the children will be gay and the humans will go extinct this is ridiculous and what if they are and many people raised by straight parents are gay. Also the Bible days treat others how you want to be treated.As well as straight parents can also be bad so don't say gay parents are all bad

What do you think the old generation does not really agree with me

Scroll to see replies

Of course they should. There's not much more to say about it.
Yes
I don't think white people should be allowed to adopt black kids because they might change their skin colour.
Reply 4
No, they shouldn't be able to get married either.
Reply 5
Original post by al_94
No, they shouldn't be able to get married either.

What's your arguement for this answer?
Reply 6
Original post by Maria1812
What is your opinion i think they should be able to because the arguement that no because they will have no father or mother figure is stupid as many people are raised by a single parent they have no father or mother figure and they are normal. Some say no because they think the children will be gay and the humans will go extinct this is ridiculous and what if they are and many people raised by straight parents are gay. Also the Bible days treat others how you want to be treated.As well as straight parents can also be bad so don't say gay parents are all bad

What do you think the old generation does not really agree with me

No i dont think they should be able to adopt imo
Your sexuality doesn't affect your ability to raise a child, so yes.
Reply 8
Original post by cokeed
No i dont think they should be able to adopt imo

People give me your arguements please
I'm not too fond of gay people adopting or having children. I'm uncomfortable with it. They can get married though.
Reply 10
My best freind has two mothers and they havent allowed her to see her father she has a younger brother too and he has no male influence in his life which every child needs in my opinion if they have the oppotunity. Lesbian women in my experience are selfish when it comes to having children and often dont allow the fathers to have any input in the childs life, which is totally unfair. I am going off my own experiences and so far i dont think they should be able to adopt because i believe that a child should have a mother and father.
Original post by Maria1812
People give me your arguements please
Original post by BioStudentx
I'm not too fond of gay people adopting or having children. I'm uncomfortable with it. They can get married though.

Why are you uncomfortable with it? It doesn't affect you.
Original post by blackened_sky
Why are you uncomfortable with it? It doesn't affect you.

When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.
Original post by cokeed
My best freind has two mothers and they havent allowed her to see her father she has a younger brother too and he has no male influence in his life which every child needs in my opinion if they have the oppotunity. Lesbian women in my experience are selfish when it comes to having children and often dont allow the fathers to have any input in the childs life, which is totally unfair. I am going off my own experiences and so far i dont think they should be able to adopt because i believe that a child should have a mother and father.

I grew up with zero male influence. It isn't a necessity.

On them not allowing her to see her father - that's wrong, but not something that is restricted to gay couples. And a singular experience like that is in no way reflective of all the other families that are headed by a gay couple.
When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.

If you were raised by gay parents you wouldn't know any different, it's not like they're going to pass on their sexuality.
Definitely, I think that your sexuality doesn't define what type of parent you will be. There are tons of kids that dont live in a good home and are unloved and there are tons of gay couples willing to share the love. Is it better for a child to live in a home where they dont recieve love and care with a straight couple than for the child to live in a home with a gay couple who will love and nuture the child. Also it teaches the child to be more accepting in its future and not to prejudge others based on societies concept of a "normal family"
Original post by cokeed

Oh so because you know one example of this happening, you made that sweeping generalisation? Pathetic. Also, loads of children don't grow up with a father but that doesn't mean they have no 'male influence' (other family members, teachers, friends...)

Why?
Reply 17
I know a lot of gay/bisexual people, im not really against it in all honesty i just dont think it is ideal. I undestand your point though.
Original post by blackened_sky
If you were raised by gay parents you wouldn't know any different, it's not like they're going to pass on their sexuality.

Nothing to do with passing on sexuality. I'd rather have a mum and a dad. Also I wouldn't like it if either of my parents "talked camp".
Reply 19
Original post by katemate98
Oh so because you know one example of this happening, you made that sweeping generalisation? Pathetic. Also, loads of children don't grow up with a father but that doesn't mean they have no 'male influence' (other family members, teachers, friends...)

Why?

I know more than one example, im just against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending