AQA Classical Civilisations 3C - Greek Tragedy

Watch
Heatherrose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been struggling to think up 5-8 themes that could be asked that apply to all the plays (Oedipus Tyrannous, Antigone, Medea and Hippolytus).
What do you think are the main themes we could be asked about?
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a look at the past papers and try doing essay plans/timed essays. That will give you a good idea of themes that come up pretty often. Some of the previous ones are: conflict between generations (young vs. old), use of myth, whether the main characters deserve what happens to them, women in all four plays, family theme, what makes a tragic hero?, role of the gods.

Some of the questions can be about the structure, too - use of only three characters plus the Chorus, use of dramatic irony, or how dramatically effective do you find the openings/endings of the plays? For these questions, think about what 'dramatically effective' could mean!

Hope this helps... feel free to PM me if you're still struggling!
sos_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm honestly so nervous for this paper. It's my first A2 exam!
I'm having issues with the 40 mark essay question! Such a limited time frame to discuss all 4 plays.

In terms of other themes you could look at the portrayal of love too. I would make sure that you know some technical language as well to really impress the examiner (I.e hamartia, etc).

How are you revising the plays? I don't know whether I should learn key quotes? I'm really struggling with remembering the sequence of events in each play. Those pesky 5 markers 'explain the circumstances that have led up to this point in the drama' really do not sit well with me.
Heatherrose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks you x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads