The Student Room Group

Frustrated with Student Finance..

Hi all,

Basically just wanted to rant over how annoyed I am about Student Finance. I'm currently finishing first year undergoing exams, in case anyone wonders.
So my parents split up around a year or more ago (Divorce was final before I applied for Student Finance), and I live with my dad when not at uni. My mum took the family business since she put more money into that to begin with (not sure of the details). However that left my dad unemployed, therefore he hasn't had a stable job since. He does do PAs for bands locally when he can get the job to do them, but that doesn't earn him more than maybe £100 a go. His income is therefore very low.
This entitled me to around £7k student loan for my first year, I had also gotten a scholarship, giving me this year's tuition for free.

The problem is, SFE is now asking for £4k of that back, and we have to pay that this year for some reason. I don't really know why since there's no way my dad earns more than the maximum amount, as far as I know. He barely has any income at all! And as a 57 year old man he probably isn't that likely to get a stable job anymore.
My accommodation cost £5k this year too so I don't have the money to pay it back myself.

Also, I applied for Student Finance for my second year a few months back in March I think, and they said I'm only eligible for £3.7k! My rent is going to be £4.4k that year so I will have nothing to live off and will need a proper job to be able to afford it..
I'm also heading towards an overall 1st this year so I really don't want to have to drop out of uni because Student Finance isn't helping me and I won't be able to afford it!

Okay that's my rant over.. I was also wondering if anyone else is having this kind of problem too?

Plus I get no financial help from my family, only the odd bit of help from my mum if I really need it for food for example. I did also manage to get a bursary from my uni too, which saved me this year so I could buy food, I didn't touch my loan unless I really needed to, so I would have some of it left to pay back.
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiai
Hi all,

Basically just wanted to rant over how annoyed I am about Student Finance. I'm currently finishing first year undergoing exams, in case anyone wonders.
So my parents split up around a year or more ago (Divorce was final before I applied for Student Finance), and I live with my dad when not at uni. My mum took the family business since she put more money into that to begin with (not sure of the details). However that left my dad unemployed, therefore he hasn't had a stable job since. He does do PAs for bands locally when he can get the job to do them, but that doesn't earn him more than maybe £100 a go. His income is therefore very low.
This entitled me to around £7k student loan for my first year, I had also gotten a scholarship, giving me this year's tuition for free.

The problem is, SFE is now asking for £4k of that back, and we have to pay that this year for some reason. I don't really know why since there's no way my dad earns more than the maximum amount, as far as I know. He barely has any income at all! And as a 57 year old man he probably isn't that likely to get a stable job anymore.
My accommodation cost £5k this year too so I don't have the money to pay it back myself.

Also, I applied for Student Finance for my second year a few months back in March I think, and they said I'm only eligible for £3.7k! My rent is going to be £4.4k that year so I will have nothing to live off and will need a proper job to be able to afford it..
I'm also heading towards an overall 1st this year so I really don't want to have to drop out of uni because Student Finance isn't helping me and I won't be able to afford it!

Okay that's my rant over.. I was also wondering if anyone else is having this kind of problem too?

Plus I get no financial help from my family, only the odd bit of help from my mum if I really need it for food for example. I did also manage to get a bursary from my uni too, which saved me this year so I could buy food, I didn't touch my loan unless I really needed to, so I would have some of it left to pay back.

Well i think you should look into other financing, i.e bursarys outside of your university and i'd call the SFE to discuss your situation with someone else and find out EXACTLY why they are demanding that 4k now, particularly as everyone else is required to pay back over the next 30 years, why are you different when you're still in your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Lulu24
Well i think you should look into other financing, i.e bursarys outside of your university and i'd call the SFE to discuss your situation with someone else and find out EXACTLY why they are demanding that 4k now, particularly as everyone else is required to pay back over the next 30 years, why are you different when you're still in your degree.

We have tried to call them numerous times, my dad has also been trying since I'm very busy at the moment. Most of the time we do not get through, i.e it's almost like they don't pick up the phone. I've not been able to get anything out of them about why I have to pay some back either, it's like they can't tell me because it's my dad's financial information. My dad says they're saying his earnings are higher than stated but he has no job and I just don't understand why. Unless my dad has other earnings but I'm not sure what they could be, especially to get over the £25k threshold.
Reply 3
We have tried to call them numerous times, my dad has also been trying since I'm very busy at the moment. Most of the time we do not get through, i.e it's almost like they don't pick up the phone. I've not been able to get anything out of them about why I have to pay some back either, it's like they can't tell me because it's my dad's financial information. My dad says they're saying his earnings are higher than stated but he has no job and I just don't understand why. Unless my dad has other earnings but I'm not sure what they could be, especially to get over the £25k threshold.

Really? I tried once and got through :/ that's odd. I'd just say try again or go through a different route, i.e Don't go through like the "problems" route on the phone, just click whatever in order to at least get through to someone who can then give you a direct number or transfer you over. Have your dad with you when you call them and ask them for proof of the claim that his earnings are higher.

But yeah ; Apply for other finances too i.e "future for women" (if you're female) or you can apply for a student bank account, i.e HSBC which has a non interest overdraft of up to 3k pounds so as long as you dont go over the over draft you just top up and take whenver you want.
Or ask your mum for a loan perhaps?

I am not taking the student finance loan, only the maintenance grant and this is what i have been doing.
Reply 4
Original post by Lulu24
Really? I tried once and got through :/ that's odd. I'd just say try again or go through a different route, i.e Don't go through like the "problems" route on the phone, just click whatever in order to at least get through to someone who can then give you a direct number or transfer you over. Have your dad with you when you call them and ask them for proof of the claim that his earnings are higher.

But yeah ; Apply for other finances too i.e "future for women" (if you're female) or you can apply for a student bank account, i.e HSBC which has a non interest overdraft of up to 3k pounds so as long as you dont go over the over draft you just top up and take whenver you want.
Or ask your mum for a loan perhaps?

I am not taking the student finance loan, only the maintenance grant and this is what i have been doing.

Thank you for that link! And yes, I am female.
It is quite odd, it's happened so many times to us when we call them no matter what method we use to get through to them. Last time I was home we asked them to tell us why I'm only getting the minimum next year and they told us they would look into it and get back to us by April. It's now been almost 2 months and we haven't heard back.

I would ask my mum for a loan but the business she's running is not going too well currently so I'm worried about her earnings. I'm hoping that will get better one day.

When I am finished with exams in a few weeks and back at home my dad and I will try and contact them again and try and find out what's happening, if they pick up.
And I will look into other methods of funding as well. This is all just very stressful for me, on top of exams too. Thank you though for your suggestions :smile:
3.7k wow that's super low.

I get 4.3k and my household income in well over 55k.

I'd call them if I was you. Something doesn't seem right. You're not getting paid enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lewif002
3.7k wow that's super low.

I get 4.3k and my household income in well over 55k.

I'd call them if I was you. Something doesn't seem right. You're not getting paid enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've been trying to contact them, but every time they say they'll look into it for us they take months to sort it out. That's why I applied for it super early this year, because we've had troubles with them all the time. They were supposed to have looked into it for us by April.
4.3k with over 55k income? That's crazy, I thought the maximum if you're over the threshold was 3.7k wow haha.
Well, apparently not!! Haha

I'll keep my mouth closed then :tongue:

Good luck with your situation just keep ringing and eventually one of the advisors should do something about it x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lewif002
Well, apparently not!! Haha

I'll keep my mouth closed then :tongue:

Good luck with your situation just keep ringing and eventually one of the advisors should do something about it x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah I guess not! Oh well, I just got unlucky for some reason :smile:
Thank you! We will keep trying to pester them and hopefully this will get sorted one day. x
Reply 9
Thank you for that link! And yes, I am female.
It is quite odd, it's happened so many times to us when we call them no matter what method we use to get through to them. Last time I was home we asked them to tell us why I'm only getting the minimum next year and they told us they would look into it and get back to us by April. It's now been almost 2 months and we haven't heard back.

I would ask my mum for a loan but the business she's running is not going too well currently so I'm worried about her earnings. I'm hoping that will get better one day.

When I am finished with exams in a few weeks and back at home my dad and I will try and contact them again and try and find out what's happening, if they pick up.
And I will look into other methods of funding as well. This is all just very stressful for me, on top of exams too. Thank you though for your suggestions :smile:

Yeah S'ok :smile: I can relate. Good luck!
It looks like they've non-income assessed you. Has your dad sent them details of his divorce / proof that he's single too?
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
It looks like they've non-income assessed you. Has your dad sent them details of his divorce / proof that he's single too?

I can't say I was there with him when they did that but I'm assuming so. Do you think that next time I'm home we should check that with them? Just in case that's what's caused this because I suppose it is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending