The Student Room Group

Year 9 Summer

So this september I will start year 10, and my GCSEs, I'm not sure whether during the summer I should be looking over the lessons and specifications I'll be doing for my GCSEs so I understand everything better when we do it in class, because I'm aiming for as many A*s as possible, or doing absolutely nothing because it'll be pretty much the last holiday where I have no exams to stress over. What's better?
I sound like such a stress head, but I am, not gonna deny it
Thankss:smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bellchez
So this september I will start year 10, and my GCSEs, I'm not sure whether during the summer I should be looking over the lessons and specifications I'll be doing for my GCSEs so I understand everything better when we do it in class, because I'm aiming for as many A*s as possible, or doing absolutely nothing because it'll be pretty much the last holiday where I have no exams to stress over. What's better?

I'd say relax in the first half and revise by the second half cause by yr 11 you won't have much freedom. Schools will generally try and discourage parents to take their children on holidays.

With the specs change you might encounter stuff that you haven't seen before. Generally, they might release the new spec before the start of the school year on september so you don't actually know what to revise yet, I think.

Just don't do what I did and am still doing right now which is relax and barely revise, you can do better than that. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Firenze26
I'd say relax in the first half and revise by the second half cause by yr 11 you won't have much freedom. Schools will generally try and discourage parents to take their children on holidays.

With the specs change you might encounter stuff that you haven't seen before. Generally, they might release the new spec before the start of the school year on september so you don't actually know what to revise yet, I think.

Just don't do what I did and am still doing right now which is relax and barely revise, you can do better than that. Good luck :smile:

Okay thanks! :smile: Yeah we have to do the new specs for Maths and English and they've already been released but I don't think the teachers have even thought about the new specs tbh
Okay thanks! :smile: Yeah we have to do the new specs for Maths and English and they've already been released but I don't think the teachers have even thought about the new specs tbh

Yeesh, seriously? Well, if you ever need any help or just want to ask some questions, people here might be able to help.

Good luck and be careful with past papers, they'll probably be completely different to the new exams so check out the specimen paper first to find out the new exam style.
Original post by Firenze26
Yeesh, seriously? Well, if you ever need any help or just want to ask some questions, people here might be able to help.

Good luck and be careful with past papers, they'll probably be completely different to the new exams so check out the specimen paper first to find out the new exam style.

I will do thanks, we've been shown how it's going to be set out but it was only on an end of KS3 assessment so it wasn't so hard as gcse but I'll check out the specimen paper
I will do thanks, we've been shown how it's going to be set out but it was only on an end of KS3 assessment so it wasn't so hard as gcse but I'll check out the specimen paper

What GCSEs are u doing out of curiosity?

Easy, it's moderation. A bit of revision on a couple of evenings and the rest of the time you have free. You'll have plenty of time to do both. GCSE's are only stressful if you make them, if you plan it out they're stress free.:smile:
Wow I'm surprised how many people are telling you to revise, you're in year 9 for god sake!!! Don't do anything, you wont be taking an exam until the end of year 11 and you haven't even started the GCSE course yet so what is the point? Go outside, breathe the fresh air, enjoy not having to worry about work for a whole summer

Yes, i would revise some of the topics before school starts in September so that you would have a head start and familiarise myself with the specification because there are going to be some GCSE changes.

Edit:Past papers are definitely key.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loki123456
What GCSEs are u doing out of curiosity?

Geography
History
French
English
Maths
Separate science(Although I've emailed my teacher to ask to swap out of separate science into computing):yy:
Original post by German123
Yes, i would revise some of the topics before school starts in September so that you would have a head start and familiarise myself with the specification because there are going to be some GCSE changes.

Edit:Past papers are definitely key.

Okay thanks, I'm gonna do that:smile:
My god if any of you were revising in your year 9 summer I feel very sorry for you, I can't stress enough how unimportant it is to revise for a course you haven't even started, you have the whole of year 11 to worry yourself to death about exams so why start now.

I'm trying to tell you to enjoy your summer but if you insist on doing past papers it's your loss
Reply 12
Original post by jordan12341
My god if any of you were revising in your year 9 summer I feel very sorry for you, I can't stress enough how unimportant it is to revise for a course you haven't even started, you have the whole of year 11 to worry yourself to death about exams so why start now.

I'm trying to tell you to enjoy your summer but if you insist on doing past papers it's your loss

I completely agree with you! "pre-revising" is crazy, especially at GCSE!

Also, how the hell does he/she expect to do past papers before they've even started the course? Save the past paper revision for the spring/summer of year 11!
Okay thanks, I'm gonna do that:smile:

:smile:
What u could do is buy a textbook for GCSE Maths and try to work through it a bit by bit so u at least u can pinpoint your weaknesses. I do agree with the fact that doing past papers is pointless before starting a course unless if you're curious to see how good you are.

Chemistry (you will need to learn it for Double or Triple): start to learn concepts like electronic configuration, ionic and covalent bonding on websites like BBC Bitesizes because these concepts take some time to understand (expect a few 'wth' moments early on) so if you can get a good grasp of it then it will be a step in the right direction.

Also do you have any helpful older siblings because they could help you with anything hard u find with GCSE Maths.

French: Nail down those tenses so you can do it with a gun to your head. Memorising vocab is pointless unless if you have a fantastic long-term memory so u can remember it in year 11.

Present Tense:
If it’s an –er verb:
(I) Take away –er + e
(Tu) Take away –er + es
(Elle) Take away –er + e
(Nous) Take away –er + ons
(Vous) Take away –er + ez
(Ils) Take away –er + ent
If it’s an –ir verb:
(Je) Take away ir + is
(Tu) take away –ir +is
(Elle/Il) take away –ir + it
(Nous) take away –ir + issons
(Vous) take away –ir + issez
(Elles) take away –ir + issent
If it’s an –re verb:
(Je) take away –re + s
(Tu) take away –re + s
(Elle) take away –re + nothing
(Nous) take away –re + ons
(Vous) take away –re + ez

(Elles) take away –re + ent

Perfect Tense:

If the word isn’t irregular then using the followingconjugation rules

Er to e (with an accent) e.g manger (to eat) comes J’aimange (with an accent) (I eat)

Ir to I e.g. finir (to finish) comes J’ai fini (I finish)

Re to u

MRS.VANDETRAMP verbs:

Mourir to die

Rester to stay

Sortir to go out

Venir to come

Aller to go

Naĭtre– to be born

Descendre to go downέ

Tomber to fall

Retourner to come back/ to return

Arriver to arrive

Monter to go up

Partir to go down

If its a MRS. VANDETRAMPverb:

Je suis

Tu es

Nous sommes

Vous ĕtes

Il/Elle/ On est

Ils/Elles sont

If it isn’t a MRS.VANDETRAMP verb :

J’ai

Tu as

Elle/Il/On a

Nous avons

Vous avez

Ils/Elles ont

Example of conjugation:

Manger (to eat) Wanted Sentence: He ate a hamburger

Manger isn’t irregular. Manger has an –er ending so itsreplaced with an e (with an accent)

Manger isn’t a MRS.VANDETRAMP verb so we use Il a mange(with an accent) un hamburger

Near Future Tense (I am going to ….):

Je vais + infinitive

Tu vas + infinitive

Elle va + infinitive

Nous allons + infinitive

Vous allez + infinitive

Ils vont + infinitive

Future Tense (I will go to):

3 verb endings of an infinitive:

-er add this to the following steps below

-ir add this to the following steps below

-re take away e and this to the following steps below

+ai (for I)

+ as (for you)

+ a (for he/she)

+ ons (for We)

+ ez (for They)

+ ont (for ils/elles)

e.g. I will eat manger(the infinitive) + ai (verb ending for I) = Je mangerai

e.g You will finish finir (the infinitive) + as (verb ending for You) = Tu finiras

e.g. She will drink boire (the infinitive) e = boir + a(verb ending for she) =Elle boira
Sorry if u already learn this. I also have rules from Conditional to Perfect Subjunctive. I just copied and pasted these notes from my notes in word.

Just relax kid you're in year 9 enjoy you're summer make memories relax with your family and friends GCSEs are not that hard for you to be revising 2 years before exams!! 2 weeks before exams is understandable but to be revising before you've even started the course is too much
Original post by Hussein Osman
Just relax kid you're in year 9 enjoy you're summer make memories relax with your family and friends GCSEs are not that hard for you to be revising 2 years before exams!! 2 weeks before exams is understandable but to be revising before you've even started the course is too much

There is a difference between revision and preparation
Geography
History
French
English
Maths
Separate science(Although I've emailed my teacher to ask to swap out of separate science into computing):yy:

What job do u think u want to do in the future? You should consider this in your GCSE choices
There is a difference between revision and preparation

Maybe so. You still dont need either
What u could do is buy a textbook for GCSE Maths and try to work through it a bit by bit so u at least u can pinpoint your weaknesses. I do agree with the fact that doing past papers is pointless before starting a course unless if you're curious to see how good you are.

Chemistry (you will need to learn it for Double or Triple): start to learn concepts like electronic configuration, ionic and covalent bonding on websites like BBC Bitesizes because these concepts take some time to understand (expect a few 'wth' moments early on) so if you can get a good grasp of it then it will be a step in the right direction.

Also do you have any helpful older siblings because they could help you with anything hard u find with GCSE Maths.

French: Nail down those tenses so you can do it with a gun to your head. Memorising vocab is pointless unless if you have a fantastic long-term memory so u can remember it in year 11.

Present Tense:
If it’s an –er verb:
(I) Take away –er + e
(Tu) Take away –er + es
(Elle) Take away –er + e
(Nous) Take away –er + ons
(Vous) Take away –er + ez
(Ils) Take away –er + ent
If it’s an –ir verb:
(Je) Take away ir + is
(Tu) take away –ir +is
(Elle/Il) take away –ir + it
(Nous) take away –ir + issons
(Vous) take away –ir + issez
(Elles) take away –ir + issent
If it’s an –re verb:
(Je) take away –re + s
(Tu) take away –re + s
(Elle) take away –re + nothing
(Nous) take away –re + ons
(Vous) take away –re + ez

(Elles) take away –re + ent

Perfect Tense:

If the word isn’t irregular then using the followingconjugation rules

Er to e (with an accent) e.g manger (to eat) comes J’aimange (with an accent) (I eat)

Ir to I e.g. finir (to finish) comes J’ai fini (I finish)

Re to u

MRS.VANDETRAMP verbs:

Mourir to die

Rester to stay

Sortir to go out

Venir to come

Aller to go

Naĭtre– to be born

Descendre to go downέ

Tomber to fall

Retourner to come back/ to return

Arriver to arrive

Monter to go up

Partir to go down

If its a MRS. VANDETRAMPverb:

Je suis

Tu es

Nous sommes

Vous ĕtes

Il/Elle/ On est

Ils/Elles sont

If it isn’t a MRS.VANDETRAMP verb :

J’ai

Tu as

Elle/Il/On a

Nous avons

Vous avez

Ils/Elles ont

Example of conjugation:

Manger (to eat) Wanted Sentence: He ate a hamburger

Manger isn’t irregular. Manger has an –er ending so itsreplaced with an e (with an accent)

Manger isn’t a MRS.VANDETRAMP verb so we use Il a mange(with an accent) un hamburger

Near Future Tense (I am going to ….):

Je vais + infinitive

Tu vas + infinitive

Elle va + infinitive

Nous allons + infinitive

Vous allez + infinitive

Ils vont + infinitive

Future Tense (I will go to):

3 verb endings of an infinitive:

-er add this to the following steps below

-ir add this to the following steps below

-re take away e and this to the following steps below

+ai (for I)

+ as (for you)

+ a (for he/she)

+ ons (for We)

+ ez (for They)

+ ont (for ils/elles)

e.g. I will eat manger(the infinitive) + ai (verb ending for I) = Je mangerai

e.g You will finish finir (the infinitive) + as (verb ending for You) = Tu finiras

e.g. She will drink boire (the infinitive) e = boir + a(verb ending for she) =Elle boira
Sorry if u already learn this. I also have rules from Conditional to Perfect Subjunctive. I just copied and pasted these notes from my notes in word.

Thank you!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest