barefootdempsey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm a Student Support Officer and I have a student who is currently unable to access student funding.

The person is a mature student who originally started the course 10 years ago but had to withdraw after the first year due to financial difficulties and health concerns.
During those 10 years before returning the student was declared bankrupt so unable to get credit or a loan. They also completed an online diploma with the International Correspondence School.

They are just about to complete their first year (which was self funded) and would like to know if they are eligible for any funding from the second year?

Hope all the above makes sense and thanks in advance.

BFD
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi barefootdempsey

What level of diploma did they complete and how many years did this take? How many years was spent on the initial course that the student has withdrawn from? And finally, how many years is the course the student is currently on?

Thanks.
barefootdempsey
Rep:
?
Hi Mark

The level of diploma, I believe (just waiting for confirmation), is a BTEC level 2.

The initial course had only one year completed

The current course is 3 years.

Thanks for the help
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi again,

Yes, the student can apply to us for the full package of support. We only consider previous study taken at Higher level 4 and above so the BTEC would not be included in our calculations and we don't need to be notified of this.

All students are entitled to one repeat year or '+1' year as it's commonly known so this effectively is cancelled out by the previous study on the other course, assuming this was of level 4 or over meaning the student will still have full funding for all years of the current course.

Thanks.
barefootdempsey
Rep:
?
Great, thanks for the help
wyseq
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I have a very simmilar question. I've studied before in Poland. On my first uni I completed 1full year + one semester. On my second uni I also completed 1 full year + 1 semester of second year. Both of those courses were described as Higher education, and If I had completed them I would have got barchelors qualification. I haven't received any qualification form both courses.

Can you advice if I am egible for full finance support in the UK?

Also, what do you undestand by previous study? Is it the time I've spent stuidying at university, no matter if I received or not qualification? Is it number of completed years at university, cofirmed with qualification? What if I have spent there couple of years but I didn't get any Higher Education qualification? I was trying to find a proper explanation on your website but there is no such thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%