The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE Info and ideas 2/06/2015 OCR

Well so we have this exam in a couple of days and it's worth 60%

How does your school tell you to manage your time and how much time should you save for section B?

Also are there any specific techniques i'm meant to use? (like an extended metaphor perhaps?)

Also how do you feel approaching this exam, i'm nervous.
I didn't do my exam with the OCR exam board— is your exam two hours and fifteen minutes long?
Reply 2
Original post by cherryblossoming
I didn't do my exam with the OCR exam board— is your exam two hours and fifteen minutes long?

i wish, it's 2hrs
Original post by ehlamleyla
i wish, it's 2hrs

Haha, good luck! My English Language GCSE exam was two hours and fifteen minutes, and our teachers advised us to spend an hour or so on section A and then the remaining hour and fifteen minutes on section B, so pretty even.

I would look at the exam as working through it methodically, though, rather than spending an hour on section A and an hour and fifteen minutes on section B (though of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep an eye on the clock!). Some people find it easier to start on section B to guarantee those marks, and then go backwards, but it all depends on your personal preference, so maybe do some past papers and experiment with which method is more effective?
Original post by ehlamleyla
Well so we have this exam in a couple of days and it's worth 60%

How does your school tell you to manage your time and how much time should you save for section B?

Also are there any specific techniques i'm meant to use? (like an extended metaphor perhaps?)

Also how do you feel approaching this exam, i'm nervous.

Yeah, 60% English Language 😰. Gosh, I'm so scared. The timings? My school told us to put 1 hour and 10 minutes on section A and 50 minutes in section B.

For section A they told us to give
Q1 10 mins for article
15 mins for summary
Q2 20 mins for essay
Q3 5 mins for article
20 mins for essay
For section b
5 mins planning and 45 mins writing

You don't have to use specific techniques but apparently you always need to acknowledge LIS (Language version) which is Language, Info and Structure. You always use Language but most people miss out either structure or Info or both so don't forget them Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest