The Student Room Group

AQA History A2 International Relations 1945-2004 HIS3N 2015 prediction

Heya,

I'm doing the International Relations 1945-2004 History exam by AQA
And I was wondering what your predictions are for this years 2015 paper?

My prediction are:
- the beginning of the Cold War
- The Cuban Missile Crisis
- Detente
- America's actions are driven by self-interest in the post-cold war era

Scroll to see replies

How did you come up with these predictions? I am also going to be doing this exam on the 8th
Reply 2
Original post by Maleek Randley
How did you come up with these predictions? I am also going to be doing this exam on the 8th

The teacher's in my school have predicted these sections are most likely to come up. But its not set in stone (since sometimes they get it wrong) so I was wondering what other people predict.
Hi guys, signed in for the first time in about a year just for this, I was waiting for someone to make this thread. Can we make this the official thread for HIS3N?

And yeah Suadfu I think you're right, when was the last time we got a US Post Cold War Actions question though?
Reply 4
Yea we can make this the official thread. 😊👍🏼

Well I was looking at the past papers and these are the questions that have come up for the U.S...

June 2010: the years 1969 to 2004 the United States consistently places its own global self interest above any consideration for international relations ?

June 2013: to what extent was the USA's response to international relations based solely on protecting its own national interests in the years 1991 to 2004?

However I think that this year a questions like this might come up.... (As a broad question)

The USA's actions in the years 1969 to 2004 determined the course of international relations.

I don't know... What do you think?
Cuba hasn't been there for a while has it? Since 2010 it hasn't come up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's always an early period question, we're due a good one. I think something from 45-89?

Yeah a question like yours was in the specimen haha.

Has there ever been an EU question?
Reply 6
Yea Cuba has only come up once, so I think it is highly likely, but also detente. I agree with an early period question, that will deffo come up, I think.

Well a question specifically on the EU won't come up. The lead examiner guy came to our school and said we won't get a question like that.
But a question relating to the comparisons effectiveness of the EU, UN, USAs intervention might I guess.
Highly unlikely tho, since last year the effectiveness of the UN was a question I think.
Reply 7
It better not be on the EU or UN
Reply 8
Original post by Suadfu
Yea Cuba has only come up once, so I think it is highly likely, but also detente. I agree with an early period question, that will deffo come up, I think.

Well a question specifically on the EU won't come up. The lead examiner guy came to our school and said we won't get a question like that.
But a question relating to the comparisons effectiveness of the EU, UN, USAs intervention might I guess.
Highly unlikely tho, since last year the effectiveness of the UN was a question I think.

Thank GOD
Relieving as hell. Cheers mate.

So what's your essay structure? Say the question is "The Cuban missile crisis was a triumph for the Soviet Union" Mine goes something like:

Intro outlining issue and arguments, pick a judgement based on one side, say "The Cuban missile crisis was a failure for the Soviet Union and a relative success for the USA"

Three fat paragraphs with judgements, like
US secured removal of missiles and bolstered advantage in military capability
Humiliated communism and showed containment to be a success
Would weaken Russia by China rebelling more due to perceived 'failure'

In each of those paragraphs I'd give an alternative viewpoint, and then me saying why I think overall my view is correct and not the alternatives'.

Then I'd conclude by answering the question again, judgement with evaluative statement, rounding the answer with everything that has just been discussed.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to write mine in detail so I could compare it to yours, just wandering what your approaches are if you could post them here plz? :smile:

And how are you guys revising it? If you've heard of the app quizlet someone has made some amazing notes in bullet point form for this exam there, quizlet has a website too go on it search 'his3n' or similar to find them :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Sathya_James

So what's your essay structure? Say the question is "The Cuban missile crisis was a triumph for the Soviet Union" Mine goes something like:

And how are you guys revising it? If you've heard of the app quizlet someone has made some amazing notes in bullet point form for this exam there, quizlet has a website too go on it search 'his3n' or similar to find them :biggrin:

Yea overall I would agree with you, that seems like a sound structure. :badger:

My general structure would look something like this (sometimes I may change my structure depending on the question)
- Introduction - introducing the question, quick explanation on what i'm going to talk about, and my view
- 3 points (paragraphs) agreeing with my judgement
- 2 points (paragraphs) Disagreeing with my view - But at the end of these points, I will have a ending line that contradicts it.
- Conclusion - Summering up everything and stating my argument again, this time with more authority.

Also: Within all of my points, I will try and add some facts/statistics/quote of someone significant. (As this will give your points more depth and understanding)

And I will also try to link my point with another time period. For example if i'm my point is about the Arms Race in 1949 I will say something like... the arms race was a major source of tension during this period, and even continued to be a source of tension after 1950. Or like if i'm talking about terrorism and about Al Qaeda, I may add something like, This is still something that the USA struggles with even in modern society in the from of ISIS.

(just a linking sentence will make you seem like you have a more in depth understanding and are able to link events together, even dates that are outside the specified time period)

My Cuban Missile Crisis plan is hidden in the spoiler, because I thought my message would have been too long and taken up too much space. Sorry.

Spoiler

Sorry for the Long message
Reply 11

Oh I forgot to answer this section.... yea quizlet is good, however my revision is just planning essays, and doing as many practiced timed essays. I feel like this helps me the most, and makes me feel ready for the real exam.
Yeah I would agree with a lot of what you're saying and might modify my approach to be similar to yours actually, it sounds better.

The outside time period thing are you sure about? Like if the question says 'Between 1945 and 1949' is it good or bad to reference say 1950 I don't know what are your thoughts?

And I like your Cuba answer too, I really hope we get a question on that this year
Reply 13
Yeah I would agree with a lot of what you're saying and might modify my approach to be similar to yours actually, it sounds better.

The outside time period thing are you sure about? Like if the question says 'Between 1945 and 1949' is it good or bad to reference say 1950 I don't know what are your thoughts?

And I like your Cuba answer too, I really hope we get a question on that this year

You can mention 1950, it will be considered as making links which is really good. Iv'e been reading past paper answers and examiners comments on them. Doing that is a good thing
BUT....
not too much, only mention it if its relevant and will strengthen your argument. don't go into complete depth because you main focus has to be on the years that have been provided.

and sammee, I hope we get a Cuba question and not a Detente question.
Yeah just briefly skirt outside your unit to make answers smarter and more mature, I get you.

Hope we see a few more people on this thread
I have been praying for this thread for MONTHS!
I was wondering how everyone feels about the "interpretations", I'm personally not using them and hoping to hit high level 4 without them.
What do you mean by that drew?
Reply 17
Interpretations are important! you need them if you want a level 4.
If you don't use them the highest you can get is level 3.

I took a photo of the Mark Scheme... It's bellow in the spoiler. Hopefully The photo came out okay and your able to see it

Spoiler

What do you mean by that drew?

At the beginning of our course were supposedly meant to include interpretations such as orthodox, revisionist, post revisionist etc. However at a conference AQA said themselves it's best not to use them bcos they only get used at a low level and drop overall grades.

Does anyone know what last years questions were, and if there's anything I could definitely cross off the revision list?
Original post by Suadfu
Interpretations are important! you need them if you want a level 4.
If you don't use them the highest you can get is level 3.

I took a photo of the Mark Scheme... It's bellow in the spoiler. Hopefully The photo came out okay and your able to see it

Spoiler

Sorry for the double post- see where level 4 says "May refer to historical debate", that's the interpretations, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending