The Student Room Group

WJEC LT4 English Literature Predictions

Does anyone have any predictions for the English Lit LT4 exam under the WJEC? I have been unable to find a thread which offered a solution to my question/s.

I am studying Woodsworth & Coleridge (Lyrical Ballads) for poetry and King Lear and Oedipus Rex for the drama text.

As well as predictions, does anyone have any good Lear/Oedipus quotes that could interlink into any theme? My teacher suggested that we learn 10-15 quotes from King Lear and 3-5 critical opinions and for Oedipus; 3-5 quotes and 1 critical opinion. Therefore I do not want to have to learn more than 15+5 quotes for individual theme/s. Remembering 10-15, plus another 3-5 quotes, excluding critical opinion and poetry quotes is hard enough.

Also themes in which could interlink would be helpful.

Many thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Hey alexr7,
I'm also doing this exam with King Lear for the drama text, and stressing out would be an understatement!
My teachers haven't given me any predictions :frown: but I would definitely recommend this resource: http://a2englishlearningcommunity2010.wikispaces.com/file/view/A2+Oedipus+Lear+course+outline.doc
It's giving me that slight bit of hope before the exam...
Sorry I can't help much as I'm feeling pretty useless, but just something else I found helpful when considering individual interpretations as well as with Oedipus was reading what Aristotle has written on Greek Tragedy.

Good luck with your exam, and thanks for starting this thread, as I will be following it!
Reply 2
Original post by buttered
Hey alexr7,
I'm also doing this exam with King Lear for the drama text, and stressing out would be an understatement!
My teachers haven't given me any predictions :frown: but I would definitely recommend this resource: http://a2englishlearningcommunity2010.wikispaces.com/file/view/A2+Oedipus+Lear+course+outline.doc
It's giving me that slight bit of hope before the exam...
Sorry I can't help much as I'm feeling pretty useless, but just something else I found helpful when considering individual interpretations as well as with Oedipus was reading what Aristotle has written on Greek Tragedy.

Good luck with your exam, and thanks for starting this thread, as I will be following it!

Just realised I have posted this under the 'law' study help! :/ Silly me...

Anyhow, I will be sure to have a look at that website tonight :smile:

My teacher didn't either! However, he did say that the theme of 'justice' had never come up before and said theme could possibly be a good one to answer, if asked of course.

Also, my teacher did state that unlike LT1, in which we were asked to write about a particular topic, which did not allow us, in most cases, to include other themes, LT4 allows us to do so. Almost all themes, to an extent, could theoretically interlink e.g. blindness/sight - justice/injustice/ - nothingness - love/loyalty and so forth. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alexr7
Just realised I have posted this under the 'law' study help! :/ Silly me...

Anyhow, I will be sure to have a look at that website tonight :smile:

My teacher didn't either! However, he did say that the theme of 'justice' had never come up before and said theme could possibly be a good one to answer, if asked of course.

Also, my teacher did state that unlike LT1, in which we were asked to write about a particular topic, which did not allow us, in most cases, to include other themes, LT4 allows us to do so. Almost all themes, to an extent, could theoretically interlink e.g. blindness/sight - justice/injustice/ - nothingness - love/loyalty and so forth. :smile:

Omg thank you, just talking about the subject gets me cementing my ideas and gives me confidence. You seem like you know a lot! I'll definitely revise Justice now :smile:
If only we started revision weeks ago like we should have!!
Reply 4
Omg thank you, just talking about the subject gets me cementing my ideas and gives me confidence. You seem like you know a lot! I'll definitely revise Justice now :smile:
If only we started revision weeks ago like we should have!!

You're most welcome. :smile:

Do I? Well as long I give that impression in the exam haha! :wink:

Ikr! However, all is not doomed... Theoretically, if we were to revise for 12 hours everyday leading up to our exam, which is in 2 weeks, we could accomplish 160 hours of revision. Of course 12 hours a day is unrealistic, but even so, scientific studies have shown that it takes only 20 hours to become very good at something; that is just over one hour a day in our case.

Personally, as I have 3 A2 exams left, all of which are in somewhat close succession, I am therefore realistically looking at revising anything from 2-6 hours a day on English Literature alone (both poetry and drama of course).

One more example I thought I may give is (it gives me piece of mind venting my thoughts haha); imagine you bought a book, starting read said book and finished it within 2 days. You enjoyed the book to such an extent that you took it upon yourself to further investigate how it was written, why is what written and what certain parts mean. Of course, you will also have favourite quotations from the book, which you would most likely be able to remember. And all of a sudden within 3 days or so you are ready to narrate the book to a family member or friend.

The point I am trying to convey is that of hope. Two weeks is a sufficient amount of time in order to achieve one's desired grade (A/A*), even for someone who had never studied the books/poetry before.

The more you try to enjoy what you're doing, the easier it gets. Just say to yourself you're doing it because you want to, rather than have to. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alexr7
You're most welcome. :smile:

Do I? Well as long I give that impression in the exam haha! :wink:

Ikr! However, all is not doomed... Theoretically, if we were to revise for 12 hours everyday leading up to our exam, which is in 2 weeks, we could accomplish 160 hours of revision. Of course 12 hours a day is unrealistic, but even so, scientific studies have shown that it takes only 20 hours to become very good at something; that is just over one hour a day in our case.

Personally, as I have 3 A2 exams left, all of which are in somewhat close succession, I am therefore realistically looking at revising anything from 2-6 hours a day on English Literature alone (both poetry and drama of course).

One more example I thought I may give is (it gives me piece of mind venting my thoughts haha); imagine you bought a book, starting read said book and finished it within 2 days. You enjoyed the book to such an extent that you took it upon yourself to further investigate how it was written, why is what written and what certain parts mean. Of course, you will also have favourite quotations from the book, which you would most likely be able to remember. And all of a sudden within 3 days or so you are ready to narrate the book to a family member or friend.

The point I am trying to convey is that of hope. Two weeks is a sufficient amount of time in order to achieve one's desired grade (A/A*), even for someone who had never studied the books/poetry before.

The more you try to enjoy what you're doing, the easier it gets. Just say to yourself you're doing it because you want to, rather than have to. :smile:

Reading that was so uplifting! I guess you're right, now I've got this new found spark to read and investigate - English lit is my favourite subject after all. If you think if I was to spend 100% of my studying time giving 100% of my effort, then results could be made in the limited timespan given. Hope you intended to give, and hope you have successfully granted. Just one more question: as we're on the topic of Greek tragedy, I was wondering if you knew how to pronounce the word hamartia?
Reply 6
Reading that was so uplifting! I guess you're right, now I've got this new found spark to read and investigate - English lit is my favourite subject after all. If you think if I was to spend 100% of my studying time giving 100% of my effort, then results could be made in the limited timespan given. Hope you intended to give, and hope you have successfully granted. Just one more question: as we're on the topic of Greek tragedy, I was wondering if you knew how to pronounce the word hamartia?

You're very welcome! And that's exactly right! :biggrin:

Ahhhh hamartia... One of my favourite words.

Personally I pronounce it ha-mar-sha. However I know many people who pronounce it ha-mar-tia. I find the latter to sound rather unappealing haha, but I cannot not say for sure.

If you would ever like a revision session via facetime/skype, feel free to message me (this is my first ever time on here, thus still getting to grips with it). :smile:
Yeah, my teacher's a moderator and he definitely knows whats coming out. Apparently for Lear, it could be sight and blindness.
Good luck guys xx
Original post by alexr7
you're most welcome. :smile:

do i? Well as long i give that impression in the exam haha! :wink:

ikr! However, all is not doomed... Theoretically, if we were to revise for 12 hours everyday leading up to our exam, which is in 2 weeks, we could accomplish 160 hours of revision. Of course 12 hours a day is unrealistic, but even so, scientific studies have shown that it takes only 20 hours to become very good at something; that is just over one hour a day in our case.

Personally, as i have 3 a2 exams left, all of which are in somewhat close succession, i am therefore realistically looking at revising anything from 2-6 hours a day on english literature alone (both poetry and drama of course).

One more example i thought i may give is (it gives me piece of mind venting my thoughts haha); imagine you bought a book, starting read said book and finished it within 2 days. You enjoyed the book to such an extent that you took it upon yourself to further investigate how it was written, why is what written and what certain parts mean. Of course, you will also have favourite quotations from the book, which you would most likely be able to remember. And all of a sudden within 3 days or so you are ready to narrate the book to a family member or friend.

The point i am trying to convey is that of hope. Two weeks is a sufficient amount of time in order to achieve one's desired grade (a/a*), even for someone who had never studied the books/poetry before.

you ****in faggot
Yeah bud
Does anyone have any predictions for tempest Faustus? :smile:
Is anyone doing Hamlet or Wife of Bath? :smile:

edit: nvm this is an old thread lool :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I am doing Hamlet this year!
I am doing Hamlet this year!

Oh thats good :biggrin:! How are you revising/preparing for it? and what do you think it'll be on this year? Im really struggling with english this year :/
Original post by aladdin818
Oh thats good :biggrin:! How are you revising/preparing for it? and what do you think it'll be on this year? Im really struggling with english this year :/

I've planned 15 paragraphs on points/key events I can discuss (examples are the ghost's speech marking initial corruption, Hamlet's grief , Ophelia's death, death as an equaliser in the grave digger scene, the final purging of sin etc...) with all assessment objectives in, and have memorised these 15 paragraphs. I hope to add a few more but these should be able to fit to any question. I then practise making these into essay plans and writing the essays in exam conditions.
I have gotten full marks in my past 5 essays I've done under timed conditions so this is definitely what works for me :-)
Good luck
I've planned 15 paragraphs on points/key events I can discuss (examples are the ghost's speech marking initial corruption, Hamlet's grief , Ophelia's death, death as an equaliser in the grave digger scene, the final purging of sin etc...) with all assessment objectives in, and have memorised these 15 paragraphs. I hope to add a few more but these should be able to fit to any question. I then practise making these into essay plans and writing the essays in exam conditions.
I have gotten full marks in my past 5 essays I've done under timed conditions so this is definitely what works for me :-)
Good luck

Oh wow thats great :smile:! You memorise like part of a dialogue from key points of the play? Thats really good. My english teachers being slow this year - haven't started any practice exam questions :[.
Original post by aladdin818
Oh wow thats great :smile:! You memorise like part of a dialogue from key points of the play? Thats really good. My english teachers being slow this year - haven't started any practice exam questions :[.

Not dialogue, but I pick two/three quotes from a section that I know I can really analyse, pair it with a comparison, critical quote and context point. For example: "Serpent... Now wears his crown" and "the whole ear of Denmark/is rankly abused" for King Hamlet's Death
Hello,

I am doing King Lear and Oedipus for one half, and Blake for the other.

I'm finding Oedipus Rex really hard to revise for as our teacher wasnt great at giving notes, and I cant seem to find much help online.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or help for me!?

Thank you in advance!! Help will be greatly appreciated!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest