The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieisit
First of all, you do not "need" FP to purse engineering at uni. They re-teach all the same stuff anyway in 1st year. I didn't do FM and I got accepted to all the unis I applied to for Engineering (even top ones like Durham) if you think FM will be an overload, do not do it. If you think it's too hard, reconsidering going into mathematical fields like Engineering and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which universities did you get offers from?
Oxbridge prefer f/maths and imperial too. In fact unless your college doesn't offer f/maths if it isn't one of your as/a levels you'll be at a disadvantage applying there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Which universities did you get offers from?
Oxbridge prefer f/maths and imperial too. In fact unless your college doesn't offer f/maths if it isn't one of you as/a levels you'll be at a disadvantage applying there.

Durham, Manchester, Bristol, Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
Durham, Manchester, Bristol, Sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one are you firming? Durham?
Which one are you firming? Durham?

I firmed Durham [this was last year]

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could do both :smile:
Loughborough offers an engineering physics course iirc
Or you could do applied physics

I am in the exact same position as you. I love physics and engineering. In America you can do both at the same time. Its called a double major.

Right now my problem is taking up further maths. Apparently it's important for both courses and it isn't part of my alevel choices

Yeah, the engineering physics course looks right up my street! :smile:

Arieisit, what grades did you get for those offers? Not doing FM doesn't seem to have hindered you too much. Either way, I think that it would make an application look a bit better but of course it doesn't make all the difference.
Original post by MatOnMotors
Yeah, the engineering physics course looks right up my street! :smile:

Arieisit, what grades did you get for those offers? Not doing FM doesn't seem to have hindered you too much. Either way, I think that it would make an application look a bit better but of course it doesn't make all the difference.

All AAA offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by MatOnMotors
Huy guys,

I'm currently in year 12 studying maths, physics, economics and ICT. I've been thinking about what is the best path to follow for my degree. I've been unsure as the whether to look more towards engineering or physics.

Engineering seems to offer good opportunities as there are loads of jobs available, plus you can switch between some of the difference disciplines if you've had enough of the one you're doing. Its likely that an you won't need to for too long to get a pretty good job. This is the direction that my parents have pushed me towards. Anytime I say to anyone that "I'm considering physics or engineering at university", they always seem to ignore the suggestion of physics and talk to me about engineering instead. Is engineering more prestigious/interesing?

Physics, meanwhile, looks like it could be great fun - particularly areas like astrophysics and particle physics. The issue for me is where would I go once I've done a degree in these areas? A job here seems less likely as it is quite a niche profession. I know that I'd love the subject but I'm not certain that it would give me such good career prospects.

For my career, I really don't want to do a 'regular' job. I'd like something where I can create, innovate and achieve new things, plus impress people when I tell them about my job. Working at CERN or ESA seems like my dream job but it will inevitably be really difficult to get in there. Sometimes I doubt whether I have what it takes to make it in such a profession but I do think ambitiously and I will work hard to get there.

Also, I was just interested in opinions on physicists and engineers. I hear some banter about engineers being stupid compared to physicists. Is physics really that much harder than engineering? I know the opinions of others shouldn't really count but I'm just interested in this. :smile:

What degree you did you take? What are you doing now? Bro please help me. I am now going through the same problem as you. I love physics and mechanical engineering. I am always on top of everything for physics. I remember, when I was in year 10, I googled some topics of physics that seemed interesting to me. One of them was quantum entanglement and schrondingers cat. I understood both of them very well and was able to explain very well like a professional teacher while others (YouTubers and commenters on youtube) struggled to understand and even explain it. I think Physics and understanding about the world is my passion. But my passion is also to build objects (though I haven't build any). That's why I want to pursue a degree in both physics and engineering if possible. But for now, which one should I pick? PLease answer me bro and help me.