The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do Black people still follow Christianity?

They seem more eager than anyone else to worship Jesus but they [former African slaves and occupants of conquered colonies] were converted from their original religions by the enslavers [white people] to Christianity. Why on earth are they still following the doctrine that was used as a tool to oppress their ancestors?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are you so obsessed with Christianity?
Reply 2
They also used darwin's theory of evolution to justify the slave trade and the status quo.
Why on earth do they decide to learn more about it?
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
Why are you so obsessed with Christianity?

Why is TSR obsessed with Islam? Questions questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bottled
They also used darwin's theory of evolution to justify the slave trade and the status quo.
Why on earth do they decide to learn more about it?

Are you adding questions to my post or asking me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Arieisit
Why is TSR obsessed with Islam? Questions questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you aim to lower yourself to that level?
Reply 6
Are you adding questions to my post or asking me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

eh, a bit of both. Your question is rightfully sound, but you can make that point about anything. Why do black people say the N word, despite it being used as a slur, Keep dogs, despite them being used against them, become policemen, despite being abused by them?

the main issue is that the people you're talking about this generation were not explicitly affected by slavery
Reply 7
They seem more eager than anyone else to worship Jesus but they [former African slaves and occupants of conquered colonies] were converted from their original religions by the enslavers [white people] to Christianity. Why on earth are they still following the doctrine that was used as a tool to oppress them?

Ok, you know what, i'm getting very OFFENDED by your posts and your trolling. Give it a REST. we get it, you hate christians, no one is forcing you to become one.

So close this thread and continue your sinful life for christ sake. Bringing race into this SICKENS ME.
Thanks fo the generalisation OP. I've never been a christian in my life. Bore off with your trolling.
Reply 9
Original post by Arkasia
So you aim to lower yourself to that level?

No, I was mocking your question. I am not obsessed with Christianity. I am rising issues I see fit to be discussed which have been on my mind for some time.
Reply 10
Original post by bottled
eh, a bit of both. Your question is rightfully sound, but you can make that point about anything. Why do black people say the N word, despite it being used as a slur, Keep dogs, despite them being used against them, become policemen, despite being abused by them?

the main issue is that the people you're talking about this generation were not explicitly affected by slavery

I've fixed the op to address your concerns about it not affecting people alive today.
(edited 8 years ago)
They seem more eager than anyone else to worship Jesus but they [former African slaves and occupants of conquered colonies] were converted from their original religions by the enslavers [white people] to Christianity. Why on earth are they still following the doctrine that was used as a tool to oppress them?

First of all, don't generalize - I know almost as many black people (albeit mostly youth), myself included, that are skeptical of or just don't believe in Christianity as people who are religious. Secondly, Christianity being the religion of enslavers doesn't make it inherently bad as a result. That's like saying "Why do countries that were colonised by Britain still speak English?", it makes no sense. Thirdly, black people now might have descended from slaves and occupants of conquered colonies but that doesn't mean that we are thus "former" slaves and occupants. Every race has ancestors with all sorts of labels, I see no reason for those labels from the past to applied to the present - we are who we are now.
Reply 12
Original post by O.Ozz
Ok, you know what, i'm getting very OFFENDED by your posts and your trolling. Give it a REST. we get it, you hate christians, no one is forcing you to become one.

So close this thread and continue your sinful life for christ sake. Bringing race into this SICKENS ME.

Your feelings have no bearings on my opinions. I do not care what sickens you. It is a legitimate question. Or you cannot come up with a response because you do not know your history or because the pastor/bible did not say anything about it?

Original post by bassbabe
Thanks fo the generalisation OP. I've never been a christian in my life. Bore off with your trolling.

You have no clue how to answer my question, therefore I must be a troll. Ok, now I know what I'll be dealing with.
Obviously not all black people are Christians but I am speaking about the ones who are.
Reply 13
Original post by localblackguy
First of all, don't generalize - I know almost as many black people (albeit mostly youth), myself included, that are skeptical of or just don't believe in Christianity as people who are religious. Secondly, Christianity being the religion of enslavers doesn't make it inherently bad as a result. That's like saying "Why do countries that were colonised by Britain still speak English?", it makes no sense. Thirdly, black people now might have descended from slaves and occupants of conquered colonies but that doesn't mean that we are thus "former" slaves and occupants. Every race has ancestors with all sorts of labels, I see no reason for those labels from the past to applied to the present - we are who we are now.

But yet former colonies want repatriations from the conquering country? The people alive today are only but 2 steps behind everyone else only what it is convenient to say so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Your feelings have no bearings on my opinions. I do not care what sickens you. It is a legitimate question. Or you cannot come up with a response because you do not know your history or because the pastor/bible did not say anything about it?

It's clear you're going to get sectioned by the amount of threads your making. I don't need to explain to you about why Christianity is the one true religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, I was mocking your question. I am not obsessed with Christianity. I am rising issues I see fit to be discussed which have been on my mind for some time.

You certainly seem obsessed as the only topic you 'see fit' to discuss is Christianity and its apparent idiocy.
But yet former colonies want repatriations from the conquering country? The people alive today are only but 2 steps behind everyone else only what it is convenient to say so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Former colonies such as? And 2 steps behind are still steps behind regardless, with that logic I could call all Germans Nazis.
Reply 17
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
You certainly seem obsessed as the only topic you 'see fit' to discuss is Christianity and its apparent idiocy.

By that logic you must be obsessed with my threads because you're on all of them. :laugh:
By that logic you must be obsessed with my threads because you're on all of them. :laugh:

Difference being I'm just responding to things. You on the other hand keep bringing up and 'deeming fit for discussion' this one topic.
Reply 19
Original post by localblackguy
Former colonies such as? And 2 steps behind are still steps behind regardless, with that logic I could call all Germans Nazis.

Loads of former colonies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2451891/14-Caribbean-nations-sue-Britain-Holland-France-slavery-reparations.html

No, you cannot. Did I call black people alive today slaves?

Latest

Trending

Trending