Do exam boards have to test every part of a specification? Watch

hibs_h
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Especially before the spec changes, for example, in PSYA3 (AQA Psych), the 'role of genes/hormones in gender' has never come up in an exam and we've been told that AQA is bringing out a new psychology spec for next year. Would it be safe to assume that the role of homones/genes in gender will be tested on this year?

Thanks (:
X_cheerio_girl_X92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd consider it wise to revise it well enough that a question on it won't faze you. I always saw specs as something that were there to provide a guide to keep both teachers and students on track for what to cover in lessons. That way, there's no chance of people moaning 'we weren't taght that' as the exam board can point to the spec and say 'well it's on there, so it should have been covered'

I don't too much like the tradition of trying to predict questions (expect in exam cases such as with pre-release materials etc) and prefer to make sure there is no question an exam could ask me that I wouldn't have anything to say in response. So my advice is to keep referring back to that spec. and then looking at your notes to check a large patch isn't left un-revised.

Best of luck! (PM me if you wanna ask anything else/see notes - I did Eating Behaviour, Relationships and Sleep for PSYA3 and Media, OCD and RM for PSYA4)
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. They don't HAVE to test everything on the specification. They can test whatever they like.

Ensure that you've covered everything equally well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope, i don't think any do to be honest.

This means you can predict (not tell for certain. Remember that.) a lot of the time what is likely to come up in the exam by looking at past papers
hibs_h
Rep:
?
(Original post by X_cheerio_girl_X92)
I'd consider it wise to revise it well enough that a question on it won't faze you. I always saw specs as something that were there to provide a guide to keep both teachers and students on track for what to cover in lessons. That way, there's no chance of people moaning 'we weren't taght that' as the exam board can point to the spec and say 'well it's on there, so it should have been covered'

I don't too much like the tradition of trying to predict questions (expect in exam cases such as with pre-release materials etc) and prefer to make sure there is no question an exam could ask me that I wouldn't have anything to say in response. So my advice is to keep referring back to that spec. and then looking at your notes to check a large patch isn't left un-revised.

Best of luck! (PM me if you wanna ask anything else/see notes - I did Eating Behaviour, Relationships and Sleep for PSYA3 and Media, OCD and RM for PSYA4)
Definitely going to revise all of it so that I can answer any/every question that comes up. And I'm doing Gender, Aggression and Perception for PSYA3 and Schizophrenia, Addiction and RM for PSYA4 but thanks anyway!
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hibs_h)
Especially before the spec changes, for example, in PSYA3 (AQA Psych), the 'role of genes/hormones in gender' has never come up in an exam and we've been told that AQA is bringing out a new psychology spec for next year. Would it be safe to assume that the role of homones/genes in gender will be tested on this year?

Thanks (:
They have to examine everything over a certain period of time, but never in a particular exam i.e. AQA economics needs to examine the entire syllabus every 3 years (might be 4).
NineTailedFox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks (:
They do have to test everything on the specification at least once.
One of my psychology teachers has been teaching for years and he feels like sleep walking will come up this year in bio rhythms as it hasnt came up once and has told us that they need to cover everything

EDIT: There are still next years papers so topics could come up then.
TheIndecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks (:
I don't think so because sol many teachers were confident that that was going to happen last year. Maybe focus on everything but know evolutionary 100%
(kinda got carried away with psay3)
username1229433
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks (:
No, revise everything. If the "role of genes/hormones in gender" does not come up, you won't feel worried.

It's never good to assume things in the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hibs_h
Rep:
?
Mixed answers so just going to revise everything, but pay a bit more attention to things that have yet to come up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?