Amararaza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Exam is on Tuesday and I'm extremely stuck, I need a way to structure my answers especially 8 mark ones as I always lose crucial marks there.

If I fail this I have to resit 😭😭

If anyone has practice answers or techniques to break down and decode the questions I would be more than grateful x
Jay Rye
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amararaza)
Exam is on Tuesday and I'm extremely stuck, I need a way to structure my answers especially 8 mark ones as I always lose crucial marks there.

If I fail this I have to resit 😭😭

If anyone has practice answers or techniques to break down and decode the questions I would be more than grateful x
If you follow this structure well you can get full marks in the reading section ( if you're doing higher aqa GCSE )

1. The first question is always what do you understand about .....
You write 4/5 points and use the structure:

I understand.......because "........." suggests ...... and .........

2. The question always asks how effective the headline, and the picture is ( sometimes a sub heading and a caption as well)
You write 4 points in total ( TEAL paragraphs)

Technique - things like metaphors, similes, alliteration, facts and there is usually symbolism and juxtaposition in the picture
Evidence - a quote or a description of the picture
Analysis - what a word in the quote suggests or what the aspect of the picture suggests ( e.g "red" suggests pain, and anger), and what effect this has on the reader
Link to the text with a quote ( for example, if the technique suggests something is huge, link it to a statistic in the article telling you how big it actually is)

3. This question always asks you about thoughts and feelings
You write 4 or 5 points (PEA paragraphs)

Paraphrase - make a point by stating the feeling or thought but use different words to what is in the quotation ( e.g if the quotation was " she suddenly jumped" your point would be: she felt surprised)
Evidence - a quote from the text
Analysis - what a word suggests from that quote ( like before), and what this tells you about what the character is feeling at that time and why they feel this way by saying how the situation they were in may have caused this feeling to occur.

You may also want to say how their feelings change though about the text. And you could include alternative interpretations ( what the word you commented on could also suggest), but you probably won't have time to have alternative interpretations.

4. This question always asks you to compare the language techniques used in two out of the three sources ( you will be able to chose one)
You must aim for 8 points (4 on each source). They should be alternating and have a conective between every other point

Point on Source 1
Connective.
Point on Source 3

X4

Structure: TEA
Technique - pair similar techniques together ( like two similes), it doesn't matter if all or none of the techniques are paired to similar techniques ( they can all be different), but the techniques must be language techniques, not structure!
Evidence - quote
Analysis - what a word suggests in the quote ( like before), what this tells you, what effect the technique has on the reader ( a feeling), and what are the authors intentions (e.g it could be to show how scary and threatening so thing was).

Unless you have extra time, spend 12 minutes on the first 3 questions and 24 minutes on the forth question. The timings are tight so practice writing using these techniques and if you get stuck on a paragraph in the exam, just move on to the next paragraph.

Let me know if any of it ( or all of it) doesn't make sense , and good luck on Tuesday, I have the same exam.
raghad.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jay Rye)
If you follow this structure well you can get full marks in the reading section ( if you're doing higher aqa GCSE )

1. The first question is always what do you understand about .....
You write 4/5 points and use the structure:

I understand.......because "........." suggests ...... and .........

2. The question always asks how effective the headline, and the picture is ( sometimes a sub heading and a caption as well)
You write 4 points in total ( TEAL paragraphs)

Technique - things like metaphors, similes, alliteration, facts and there is usually symbolism and juxtaposition in the picture
Evidence - a quote or a description of the picture
Analysis - what a word in the quote suggests or what the aspect of the picture suggests ( e.g "red" suggests pain, and anger), and what effect this has on the reader
Link to the text with a quote ( for example, if the technique suggests something is huge, link it to a statistic in the article telling you how big it actually is)

3. This question always asks you about thoughts and feelings
You write 4 or 5 points (PEA paragraphs)

Paraphrase - make a point by stating the feeling or thought but use different words to what is in the quotation ( e.g if the quotation was " she suddenly jumped" your point would be: she felt surprised)
Evidence - a quote from the text
Analysis - what a word suggests from that quote ( like before), and what this tells you about what the character is feeling at that time and why they feel this way by saying how the situation they were in may have caused this feeling to occur.

You may also want to say how their feelings change though about the text. And you could include alternative interpretations ( what the word you commented on could also suggest), but you probably won't have time to have alternative interpretations.

4. This question always asks you to compare the language techniques used in two out of the three sources ( you will be able to chose one)
You must aim for 8 points (4 on each source). They should be alternating and have a conective between every other point

Point on Source 1
Connective.
Point on Source 3

X4

Structure: TEA
Technique - pair similar techniques together ( like two similes), it doesn't matter if all or none of the techniques are paired to similar techniques ( they can all be different), but the techniques must be language techniques, not structure!
Evidence - quote
Analysis - what a word suggests in the quote ( like before), what this tells you, what effect the technique has on the reader ( a feeling), and what are the authors intentions (e.g it could be to show how scary and threatening so thing was).

Unless you have extra time, spend 12 minutes on the first 3 questions and 24 minutes on the forth question. The timings are tight so practice writing using these techniques and if you get stuck on a paragraph in the exam, just move on to the next paragraph.

Let me know if any of it ( or all of it) doesn't make sense , and good luck on Tuesday, I have the same exam.

Do you have any advices for the foundation paper please ??
ubaidamin786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is november 2014 higher tier answer for question 4 is someone could mark it and feedback to me it would be much appreciated got exam in 4 days...
Now you need to refer to Source 3, ‘Home Time’, and either Source 1 or Source 2.You are going to compare the use of language in two texts, one of which you have chosen. 4 Compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts. Give some examples and analyse the effects.[16 marks]

Source 3 is a piece of descriptive writing about a girl called Jane whol ives with her gran and has recently started at a grammar school whereas Source 1 is an informative piece of writing made to persuade and inform the public in favour of the writers argument. They are both chatty however source 3 is informal and source 1 is formal given its purpose.
In Source 1 the writer uses facts and statistics to get across her point of view which is that Children are sent to school too young in the UK. This is so that people will be persuaded for the argument.
Whereas in Source 3 the writer is using verbs to bring her journey to life. Examples of these would be 'rushed and flew by', this paints a picture in the readers head and makes them feel as if they are part of the story.
Source 1 uses an anecdote to put the reader in the perspective of a young child; 'Imagine. You find yourself in an enviroment...' this is similar in Source 3 when the writer uses an factual anecdote throughout the extract.
Source 1 also uses expert opinions to sway the reader to the writers viewpoint and to make the text seem more accurate ' The Charity Potential Plus UK argues that...', however in Source 3 the writer uses short sentences to build suspense and make the writing more interesting and less boring.

Thats basically all I can write I'm fine on all of the other questions but Question 4 is a real weakness for me can someone please help and give me some tips on how to improve and how to better structure my work. Also is it okay if you compare one feature with another feature even though they don't coincide. For example Source 1 uses facts and statistics whereas Source 3 uses verbs
Jay Rye
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by raghad.)
Do you have any advices for the foundation paper please ??
Sorry I don't, only have the higher as that's the paper I'm doing. Perhaps you could try emailing your English teacher, or you could try to find your teacher tomorrow at school.
raghad.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jay Rye)
Sorry I don't, only have the higher as that's the paper I'm doing. Perhaps you could try emailing your English teacher, or you could try to find your teacher tomorrow at school.
yes, i am going to school tomorrow
thanks anyway .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads