Hubay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

Whenever I get my papers marked by teachers I almost always score L5 for Analysis etc
But i can barely get out of E2 for my evaluation, essentially I drop almost all of my marks for evaluation, does anyone haven any tips to gain evaluation marks ?
Forever4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is for buss4 not too sure if you can used this for buss3, maybe you can? Not sure.... But, I got this from somewhere that helps with buss4, and also my teacher says the same about doing this in the evaluation bit.

Evaluation needs to take place during the essay and not just at the end. A simple way to evaluate at the end of the paragraphs is to say “however, this would depend on…..” as shown in some of the student examples provided in this booklet.If the judgement depends on certain issues e.g. the culture of the business, the leader, the business objectives then bring this in. It is good practice to follow your judgement with a paragraph which deals with this. The “it depends” section tries to explain what the issue set in the question really depends upon and why. So a final paragraph is vital to make a justified judgement and answer the question set.You need to make a decision which emerges from your previous paragraphs.

I need to practise this too, usually after each paragraph you have to answer the question, and say it depends on.

This can help when writing the last paragraph:

Take Aim at the End of Each Essay When writing your final paragraph try to include the following:

A - Answer/Address the trigger words in the question. E.g. is it essential for managers to take ethics into account? Do not sit on the fence but make a clear judgement e.g. “it is not essential to take ethics into account because…” and justify your reasoning.

I - It Depends. Discuss what the overall issue depends upon – for example does it depend upon consumer reaction as to whether it is essential for managers to consider ethics? Try to come up with a few of these issues and explain fully perhaps with an example.

M - Most Important. What is the most important issue when considering the conclusion? For example is the most important issue when taking note of ethics the extent to which the media are interested in the business. Explain why this is important.

Ideally you will produce one large concluding paragraph which pulls all of this together. In many of theexamples that follow the student does the “it depends” part before answering the question which isanother way to tackle the evaluation.A further tip to consider in any evaluation is the short versus the long term. For example a firm infinancial trouble like HMV could be seen to not prioritise ethics in the immediate term but in the longterm it may be important due to the amount of media attention in the company.Remember, you will probably not be able to reach the highest levels for evaluation if you do not referdirectly to the trigger words in your chosen essay question during your final evaluation paragraph.So a good tip is to re-read the question you have been answering before your start the final paragraphto ensure that your closing evaluative remarks directly answer the question.

This is the way I am going to attempt to do it, not completely sure if this is the correct way but if you think its incorrect then you can try something else. Hope this helps in some way though!
Hubay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks a lot that really helps, I usually seem to repeat myself and that seems like a definite way to avoid it.
Forever4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hubay)
Thanks a lot that really helps, I usually seem to repeat myself and that seems like a definite way to avoid it.
Glad I can help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?