The Student Room Group

What do graduate employers care about the most?

Please rate in terms of importance. I know it's a massive generalisation, but please to the best of your ability:

1. Degree subject utility (this is apparently of increasing importance)

2. Degree class (how well you did)

3. Location (if the job is in London - will they care that I live in Liverpool or Leeds (obviously willing to move))

4. University ranking (will going to say, Aston or University of Birmingham make a huge difference?)

Many thanks!

I'm especially interested in #3.
Original post by J_89
Please rate in terms of importance. I know it's a massive generalisation, but please to the best of your ability:

1. Degree subject utility (this is apparently of increasing importance)

2. Degree class (how well you did)

3. Location (if the job is in London - will they care that I live in Liverpool or Leeds (obviously willing to move))

4. University ranking (will going to say, Aston or University of Birmingham make a huge difference?)

Many thanks!

I'm especially interested in #3.

Theoretically #3 won't matter, but that depends on if it is company policy to contribute to moving expenses. Around 70% of Graduate employers don't actually care about what your degree is in. Obviously there are a lot of jobs that do though. What is probably (although this varies job to job) most important is getting a good degree from a good Uni. However being able to show transferable skills you've gained from your course and involvement in other things (such as societies or volunteering) is also very important.
Reply 2
1) Work experience/aptitude
2) Degree class (2.i+ or go home)
3) Degree subject (if it is relevant to the job, if job is generic then nobody cares)
4) University ranking (Oxbridge and a couple of other are of benefit for high end careers, otherwise people don't care much)
5) Location (nobody cares)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending