The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i found it ok, but struggled on Q6 and then realsied near the end my gradient for Q2 was wrong and i had 2 mins left to do the whole of Q2 again...

Overall it was ok. Being realistic i think i dropped 8-12 marks.
Reply 2
I found the whole paper really hard . with the point P and Q instersecting the circle.
Reply 3
i thought it was ok

didnt like question 5 - the one with volume of the empty box
I thought it was alright actually. I got 80 in June and was aiming for 98 but realistically I think it'll be more like 94/5. A few questions were hard at first but once you thought about it a bit they were ok. There were just 2 or 3 questions I guessed but overall it was fine.

I do have a really nasty headache now though because before Maths I had 2 biology exams this morning.. so am a bit tired now! I'll give myself a couple of hours off then start on Mechanics for Friday I guess! Oh how I love exams...
Reply 5
intersect P & Q was ok, but i agree that Q5 was pretty hard with the volume question.

I found it harder than any practise papers i've done.
Reply 6
Anyone got a copy of the paper at all? I can't seem to remember much of my answers at all!
The volume question was one of the harder ones but I got there in the end. I couldn't get to the surface area answer you had to 'show' and wrote 'I don't see how this works' or something LOL then whilst checking my answers noticed I'd misread something. I crossed it out but I hope they don't think I was being really cheeky! Oops...

For the last question (with the k's), what was the answer? I'm sure i got k<-5 and k<-8 (or the signs the other way round, can't remember) then added at the end to -5<k<8 because it was worth 4 marks and I'd done 3 lines! Or where they looking for 2 equalities?
Reply 8
One hell of an easy paper.

The last answer should be -5 <= k <= 8, because -5 and 8 do work also.
Reply 9
I put -5>k>8 aswell - Let's hope that is what they were looking for!

edit: yeah it is less than/equal to, and greater than/equal to
oops i just did k= -5 k=8 :biggrin:
Reply 11
The only one I messed up on is A(6,-2) and C(2,k)
The distance is 5, and I had to find K.
I didn't know how to work it out so I went
25 = (6-2)^2 + (-2-k)^2
And then tried to solve it.
Ended with something like 8+Sqroot -64 and 8-Sqroot -64
o_O
Reply 12
kenny326
The only one I messed up on is A(6,-2) and C(2,k)
The distance is 5, and I had to find K.
I didn't know how to work it out so I went
25 = (6-2)^2 + (-2-k)^2
And then tried to solve it.
Ended with something like 8+Sqroot -64 and 8-Sqroot -64
o_O

Was the answer positive/negative 3 for the distance is 5 questions?
I thought it was all right - questions were mostly what I had expected (that's the good thing about Maths exams. Biology exams, on the other hand... humph). C2 was a bit harder though.
I thought C1 paper was soild. much harder than any practicce ones ive done. think ill be re-taking in summer! maybe it was just exam nerves but my head seemed to be all over the place. C2 on the other hand, much easier.
kenny326
One hell of an easy paper.

The last answer should be -5 <= k <= 8, because -5 and 8 do work also.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant :smile:

Ooh I'm glad I wrote that at the end then! (As I was checking back through)
^ yeah i agree with above.
I thought it was totally fine :P
the one with the volume and box i'm so sure has come up before - we've definately done an extremely similar thing in class so i was quite happy about that.

the A(6,-2) C(2,K) one
was K= 1 or K=-5
Reply 17
Thats the distance is 5 question werent it?

I got those answers! :smile:
Reply 18
I thought it was harder than the past papers I have done, but on the whole found it OK. My mind went blank when it came to why the circle didn't cross the x axis. In the end I put y=0 into the equation and came out with something like x2+2x+12=0 and said it didn't cross the x axis because it didn't factorise. Got no idea if that's right or not.
Thought the volume one was OK. Question 7 was fine. I think parts of 5 & 6 were the hardest. I missed out part c of question 2 by accident and had to go back and squeeze it in on the bottom of the page, so I hope they mark it!
Reply 19
Greenmile
I thought it was harder than the past papers I have done, but on the whole found it OK. My mind went blank when it came to why the circle didn't cross the x axis. In the end I put y=0 into the equation and came out with something like x2+2x+12=0 and said it didn't cross the x axis because it didn't factorise. Got no idea if that's right or not.
Thought the volume one was OK. Question 7 was fine. I think parts of 5 & 6 were the hardest. I missed out part c of question 2 by accident and had to go back and squeeze it in on the bottom of the page, so I hope they mark it!

I wasn't 100% sure about that one, all i wrote is that the y coordinate of the centre of the circle was 6, the radius was 5. 6-5 =1 so therefore does not touch/cross the x-axis. Not sure if that is right though.

How many marks was that worth?

Latest