The Student Room Group

KCL or St Andrews

Hi! I am a student from France, and I will be studying Medieval History in UK next year. I got a conditional offer from Cambridge (Mphil). They ask for an IELTS 7.5, and my result in march was only 7, so I try to think about a plan B.

I got two other offers: St Andrews (M. Litt) and KCL (MA). Could you give me some advices? St Andrews seems nicer and cheaper, but it is quite isolated. Which one has the best academic reputation and provides the best teaching for skills such as medieval latin and paleography?

I hope you could give some help! Thank you.
Reply 1
If someone could give some advice, it would be really helpful! :u:
Original post by gpaetu
If someone could give some advice, it would be really helpful! :u:

Both have very good reputations overall and for History. However, I have no idea about specific topics such as medieval latin and paleography.

One issue you need to consider is the environment. One is located in the centre of one of the biggest cities in the world; the other is located in a small seaside town with a population of only about 17,000. Which would suit you best?
I would try Cambridge as you only missed slightly so why not try!

I would suggest London as it's likely you will be living there after your course.

London has so much to offer for the budding historian!
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your answers, both of you! I just received the results of the IELTS, and now I'm sure I'm going to Cambridge =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending