mazzaion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

So I'm a French student looking to apply for university in England starting in 2016. Until recently I was convinced I would apply for English Literature but I recently stumbled upon Oxford's (yes I know, I'm taking my chance at Oxbridge) English and Classics course...

Now, I've never studied nor Greek or Latin before but they have (and I think other universities such as Durham do two) a "Course II" where you get one year of intensive language classes.
I've always loved Greek and Latin history and think they're a fantastic tool to understand some aspects of other works, since they are a very solid base for literature and most languages we speak in general.
However, I'm scared that by taking a joint course I might miss out on some great aspects and modules of English single honours course...

So here are my questions for you, experienced people in the field of Classics/English Lit/Joint Schools:

-If you have any experience of similar courses, do you think it's interesting to have both subjects combined?

-How do you cope with a joint degree? How does the workload compare to a single honours course?

-How do I make my personal statement valid for both joint courses at some universities and just English at others?

-How do I make the right choice????

-Do you have any reading advice for Classics?

Thank you very much

ps: it's my first time posting on here, let's see how it goes ^.^
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mazzaion)
Hi

So I'm a French student looking to apply for university in England starting in 2016. Until recently I was convinced I would apply for English Literature but I recently stumbled upon Oxford's (yes I know, I'm taking my chance at Oxbridge) English and Classics course...

Now, I've never studied nor Greek or Latin before but they have (and I think other universities such as Durham do two) a "Course II" where you get one year of intensive language classes.
I've always loved Greek and Latin history and think they're a fantastic tool to understand some aspects of other works, since they are a very solid base for literature and most languages we speak in general.
However, I'm scared that by taking a joint course I might miss out on some great aspects and modules of English single honours course...

So here are my questions for you, experienced people in the field of Classics/English Lit/Joint Schools:

-If you have any experience of similar courses, do you think it's interesting to have both subjects combined?

-How do you cope with a joint degree? How does the workload compare to a single honours course?

-How do I make my personal statement valid for both joint courses at some universities and just English at others?

Thank you very much

Hello!!

I am a joint honours student studying English Literature and History of Art and have really enjoyed the combined course. When applying to universities, I found it hard to narrow my choices down to just one subject so a joint degree was the best option and I am glad that I took this route.

For the workload, the modules and layout of both the courses are quite balanced so its not double the quantity of work. I have found however that in some ways it can be more work than a single subject course as you are applying different skills and having to learn very different topics. You do however get used to this and organise your time accordingly. I feel as if you gain lots of skills and knowledge in each subject that can be applied to the other subject which is great for enhancing your understanding. It can get particularly interesting if like me, you are able to complete a dissertation that combines the two subjects.

For your personal statement it doesn't matter if you apply to one institution just for Classics and another for the combined degree or just English Literature. It is simply important you mention your interest and experience in both subjects and perhaps make connections between the two.

I would suggest researching a lot into the course content of the universities as they will each differ from each other. Look into what modules are taught and if there are any that really appeal to you. A degree gained in Classics and English Literature at one university can be completely different to the same degree at another institution. You will be studying the course for a couple of years so need to make sure that the areas being taught are ones that interest you.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mazzaion)
Hi

Thank you very much

You could always apply for a couple of straight English literature courses and some joint honours. Also, if you ended up disliking the Classics modules (or even preferred it to English literature), I'm sure you can work your degree in a way that suits you at many universities. You often get a lot of flexibility around modules so may be able to design a degree you want.

Good luck choosing your course! Honestly, you just need to go with what you think is right for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed