The Student Room Group

Scottish parliament rejects assisted dying law

Sad to hear this. I think it's tragic that not one nation in the UK allows assisted dying or Euthanasia

MSPs vote 82-36 against bill that proposed those with terminal illnesses could seek help of doctor to end their lives, after deeply personal debate

Margo MacDonald, who fought a long battle with Parkinson’s disease, initiated the bill before her death last year.

The Scottish parliament has voted to reject legislation on assisted dying following a heartfelt and at times deeply personal debate on Wednesday, carried out in the shadow of the late MSP Margo MacDonald, who initiated the bill before her death last year.

MSPs voted by 82 to 36 against the general principles of the assisted suicide (Scotland) bill. It had proposed that those with terminal or life-shortening illnesses should be able to obtain help to end their suffering.

MSPs were given a free vote on the bill, which would allow those with terminal illnesses to seek the help of a doctor to end their own life, although the Scottish government did not support changing the law.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/27/scottish-parliament-rejects-assisted-suicide-law

Scroll to see replies

Idiots. There is no reason to be against it, as long as it's properly regulated.
Reply 2
Extremely glad that the Scottish parliament rejected this and actually somewhat surprised.
How ridiculous. The assisted dying law is just. Aside from the morons who oppose it for religious reasons, (their opinions ought to be automatically voided), what other objections are there? Other than "Well it could lead to anyone committing suicide." Or something along those lines.
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
Extremely glad that the Scottish parliament rejected this and actually somewhat surprised.

Why do you disagree with this law?
Reply 5
Original post by Skip_Snip
Idiots. There is no reason to be against it, as long as it's properly regulated.

Someone obviously wants to end it all!

:laugh:
Reply 6
Original post by josh_v
Why do you disagree with this law?

A few reasons..

1) Mother is suicidal at times and has faked it enough for doctors to release her before - imagine this happening were euthanasia laws relaxed from terminally ill patients

2) Slippery slope, starts at terminal, ends with anything

3) It is fundamentally immoral for the state to kill its own citizens, even out of mercy. I'd possibly be open to less harsh sentences for those who help somebody go abroad.
Original post by Rakas21
I'd possibly be open to less harsh sentences for those who help somebody go abroad.

If you don't mind people going abroad then what's the problem with allowing it in this country? If these other countries can control it, why wouldn't we be able to?
Original post by Skip_Snip

Original post by thunder_chunky
How ridiculous. The assisted dying law is just. Aside from the morons who oppose it for religious reasons, (their opinions ought to be automatically voided), what other objections are there? Other than "Well it could lead to anyone committing suicide." Or something along those lines.

There are a multitude of sensible and compassionate objections to assisted suicide. The 'idiots' and 'morons' in this debate are those who are unwilling to cast even a cursory glance over the benefits and drawbacks of each side of the argument, or are just too stupid to be able to comprehend them. I had the same mindset at school but in growing up I have realised that the world is far more complex than either allowing terminally ill people of sound mind to end their lives before chronic pain gets them and being a heartless bastard.

Some tidbits from the interwebs:

The Week
In Oregon, a recent study of people who took their lives with assisted suicide revealed that one in every six were suffering from depression

Terminally ill people are vulnerable members of society. Some might feel under psychological pressure to ease the burden on their families.

The Compassionate Choice
A hospice nurse told me about a lovely 24-year-old given three months to live. Five years later, she is still with us and the mother of a child. Every good doctor knows that medicine is an art as well as a science. No one can predict with 100% certainty who will live and who will die. Although it is rare, some terminally ill people can and do get better. Everyone who works in hospice can tell you at least one story attesting to that. They personally knew a patient who beat the odds and is still vertical today.

The Compassionate Choice
This week, the Mississippi Supreme Court upheld a $4 million award to the family of a woman misdiagnosed with cancer and then given a lethal dose of painkillers.The 66-year-old woman received massive doses of painkillers at a hospice for cancer, which an autopsy showed she never had, according to court records. That’s just this week’s news. It happens all the time.

The JOURNAL of the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4, reports that medical errors may be the third leading cause of death in the United States at 225,000 deaths per year.

The Compassionate Choice
Today’s AD-Assisted suicide laws cannot be written so as to prevent abuse. This is the reason the American Medical Association opposes assisted suicide. Doctors know that there is no way to control assisted suicide once you make it legal. There is no foolproof way to write the law without opening it to abuse. In Oregon and the Netherlands, for example, assisted suicide laws require two physicians to “sign off” on a suicide. However, some doctors “sign off” routinely without examining patients. One Dutch doctor hurried up a suicide because he needed the bed for another patient. You can’t write a law that covers every contingency so there’s no way to control what happens to your patients once you open that door.

The Compassionate Choice
Oregon and the Netherlands, where assisted suicide is legal, keep expanding it. This passage, written by Dr. Herbert Hendin in Psychiatric Times, sums up what’s happened in the Netherlands:
“The Netherlands has moved from assisted suicide to euthanasia, from euthanasia for the terminally ill to euthanasia for the chronically ill, from euthanasia for physical illness to euthanasia for psychological distress and from voluntary euthanasia to involuntary euthanasia (called “termination of the patient without explicit request”).” The Dutch now end the lives of psychiatric patients and deformed babies. In Oregon, medical systems are already offering people assisted suicide in lieu of chemotherapy. Cancer victim Randy Stroup got a letter from the state saying it would pay for his assisted suicide or painless death, but not his chemotherapy.

[http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/4736927/Right-to-die-can-become-a-duty-to-die.html]

The Compassionate Choice
Today’s AD-Assisted suicide laws removes incentive to do medical research. If cancer patients routinely kill themselves rather than undergo treatment, you have removed a reason to perform medical research to cure cancer. Research scientists receive funding based on how much money illnesses are costing insurance companies and how many people suffer from them. If an illness is rare, it gets less funding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by blackened_sky
If you don't mind people going abroad then what's the problem with allowing it in this country? If these other countries can control it, why wouldn't we be able to?

I do mind people going abroad, i find the idea immoral. But, the question is whether there's anything to be gained from putting the brother who went with them in prison for 3 years rather than giving them a large fine or community service.
Original post by Birkenhead
There are a multitude of sensible and compassionate objections to assisted suicide. The 'idiots' and 'morons' in this debate are those who are unwilling to cast even a cursory glance over the benefits and drawbacks of each side of the argument, or are just too stupid to be able to comprehend them. I had the same mindset at school but in growing up I have realised that the world is far more complex than either allowing terminally ill people of sound mind to end their lives before chronic pain gets them and being a heartless bastard.

Some tidbits from the interwebs:

My paternal grandmother has friends who are making arrangements to travel to Switzerland in the not so distant future. Apparently there are teams of psychiatrists etc who make thorough checks before proceeding. It seems to me that once that has been guaranteed, that takes away a great deal of the objections people seem to have.
Original post by thunder_chunky
My paternal grandmother has friends who are making arrangements to travel to Switzerland in the not so distant future. Apparently there are teams of psychiatrists etc who make thorough checks before proceeding. It seems to me that once that has been guaranteed, that takes away a great deal of the objections people seem to have.

No, it doesn't, as most of the quotations I have supplied above make clear. Medical errors, a broadening of the criteria by which someone can kill themselves (include those with treatable mental health problems), a change in social culture where people are now actually being forced to kill themselves such as in Oregon as chemotherapy is often not seen as cost-effective, which will hit the poorest hardest, a sloppiness by strained doctors in authorising assisted suicide without looking at the case in enough detail, an inability of doctors to know whether someone is doing it out of choice or out of guilt, a significant decrease in funding for the long-term curing of these illnesses... the list goes on and on and just a smattering of its contents are containted in my post above for your perusal.

Many of the people who would like to die are able to do so themselves, which isn't illegal. Additionally, in recent times cases of spouses and the like assisting a terminally ill loved one's death have been entirely or effectively let off:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/120_10/
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/oct/20/health.medicineandhealth1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32499331

The current system is not perfect but it is a damn sight better than the alternative.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Why? Have the SNP actually passed any ground breaking legislation?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why? Have the SNP actually passed any ground breaking legislation?

Just seems like something they'd support.
Original post by Rakas21
I do mind people going abroad, i find the idea immoral. But, the question is whether there's anything to be gained from putting the brother who went with them in prison for 3 years rather than giving them a large fine or community service.

Can I ask have you ever seen a loved one wear away until they're skin and bones? Have you ever seen them live in constant pain and suffering to the point where life to them becomes a curse? Imagine finding out you had a degenerate disease where you would eventually enter into a vegetative state.

I find your views quite insensitive. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to die with dignity? Why shouldn't one be allowed to leave this world with comfort and grace rather than die with immense suffering?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Okay, I see.
Original post by Bornblue
Can I ask have you ever seen a loved one wear away until they're skin and bones? Have you ever seen them live in constant pain and suffering to the point where life to them becomes a curse? Imagien finding out you had a degenerate disease where you would eventually enter into a vegetative state.

I find your views quite insensitive. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to die with dignity? Why shouldn't one be allowed to leave this world with comfort and grace rather than die with immense suffering?

Shame on you.

You don't want to hear the argument
Original post by Rakas21
Just seems like something they'd support.

I think libs Sums it up that the SNP is conservative with a small c. It's failed to make any changes to health. It wants a welfare system from ten years ago and although it claims to be progressive, it's introduced not one change to benefit those at the bottom that it claims to speak for.
I was very disappointed that the SNP are against the assisted dying law. They have lost some Brownie points from me after this tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For ****s sake.

Guess I could always walk into a mountain storm and kill myself from exposure. Or something.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending