The Student Room Group

Is maths at Queen mary uni enough to make it in investement banking.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raymat
I don't see Imperial in the list.

It's at the bottom because of the greater STEM focus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't that be a better reason to employ more graduates from Imperial as STEM subjects are on average very respected so I would expect Imperial to be at least top 5? Perhaps a lot of graduates choose STEM professions over IB.
Original post by Raymat
Shouldn't that be a better reason to employ more graduates from Imperial as STEM subjects are on average very respected so I would expect Imperial to be at least top 5? Perhaps a lot of graduates choose STEM professions over IB.

You hit the nail on the head with the last part. Yes, in terms of respect Imperial is firmly in the top tier but in terms of raw numbers it lags due to the STEM career preferences.
Reply 23
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list given that it includes all investment banking roles, not just the roles everyone usually associates with investment banking (i.e. front office) and it doesn't take into consideration the size of the student body (which explains why Nottingham/Manchester rank so highly).
Original post by Raymat

they're 15. its a science based school so not many people have banking intrests but for those who do it's a feeder
Why is everyone so obsessed with Investment Banking? If you're in it for the money, you don't have the correct reasoning behind it to see this through, and my answer would have to be... probably not. If it's really your dream and what you want to do in life, you can find a way to get there, no matter the University you go to, to a certain extent.
Original post by Emmi12345
Why is everyone so obsessed with Investment Banking? If you're in it for the money, you don't have the correct reasoning behind it to see this through, and my answer would have to be... probably not. If it's really your dream and what you want to do in life, you can find a way to get there, no matter the University you go to, to a certain extent.

Mate, no one 'dreams' of going into banking. They go into it because the work is (albeit rarely) somewhat stimulating and it pays a lot. It's mostly a springboard into better paying jobs (Private Equity/Hedge Funds) or more lax but higher impact jobs (Corporate Strategy/Corporate Development/Tech).

We aren't trying to 'drum things in' as it were, it's a legitimate fact that 80-90% of the new banking anaylsts come from a select few group (top 6 unis), then the 'semi-targets' fill out the rest of the cohort with your odd smattering of 'non-targets' once in a while.

Obviously, one can't put that as a disclaimer every time we post so therefore it's easier to just simplify this into target, semi-target and non-target. Any avid networker from the latter group can break in.

P.S. This is TSR, home of the overly ambitious and (oftentimes not all the time) money driven.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate, no one 'dreams' of going into banking. They go into it because the work is (albeit rarely) somewhat stimulating and it pays a lot. It's mostly a springboard into better paying jobs (Private Equity/Hedge Funds) or more lax but higher impact jobs (Corporate Strategy/Corporate Development/Tech).

We aren't trying to 'drum things in' as it were, it's a legitimate fact that 80-90% of the new banking anaylsts come from a select few group (top 6 unis), then the 'semi-targets' fill out the rest of the cohort with your odd smattering of 'non-targets' once in a while.

Obviously, one can't put that as a disclaimer every time we post so therefore it's easier to just simplify this into target, semi-target and non-target. Any avid networker from the latter group can break in.

P.S. This is TSR, home of the overly ambitious and (oftentimes not all the time) money driven.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the majority of bankers didn't 'dream' of going into banking. That's my point. People shouldn't be mostly driven by money! You've said it's 'rarely', 'somewhat' stimulating... sounds enticing! I just don't see why people should have such a fixed specific idea of exactly what they want to do before they even get to Uni. (Unless it's vocational and they need to prepare in advance) Maybe investment banking won't work out anyway? Have other options! Don't choose your University solely on the career you want! Go to University with an open mind, a good work ethic, and a positive attitude. You might find that by the time you've completed your degree, your perspective on IB has changed completely.

Spoiler

Original post by Emmi12345
I know the majority of bankers didn't 'dream' of going into banking. That's my point. People shouldn't be mostly driven by money! You've said it's 'rarely', 'somewhat' stimulating... sounds enticing! I just don't see why people should have such a fixed specific idea of exactly what they want to do before they even get to Uni. (Unless it's vocational and they need to prepare in advance) Maybe investment banking won't work out anyway? Have other options! Don't choose your University solely on the career you want! Go to University with an open mind, a good work ethic, and a positive attitude. You might find that by the time you've completed your degree, your perspective on IB has changed completely.

Spoiler

one of the most competitive careers. have you ever heard of "aim for the stars and if you fall you'll land on the clouds", that was my motivation.. keeps me working hard and consistent. even if my perspective has changed, it'd be nice to have some ib summer internships on my cv, surely that will only be of benefit
Original post by Raymat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Raymat

You hit the nail on the head with the last part. Yes, in terms of respect Imperial is firmly in the top tier but in terms of raw numbers it lags due to the STEM career preferences.

To be considered an employee of a company on LinkedIn, you just need to list them on your profile regardless of whether it's for a full-time job or an insight day. LSE students (a lot, but not all of them of course) seem to have a habit of putting every encounter with an investment bank on their profile and so are often listed as an investment banker for having attended a networking event that all students have free access to, whilst Imperial students (like me) often leave out entire internships, which are formal employment.

Having done front-office internships in investment banks, I found that there were more Warwick and Imperial students there than from any other University. As long as you're at Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Oxford or Cambridge (based on my experience in internships), you're in a good position, however in my opinion doing a STEM subject makes it easier; you come across as less cocky and more willing to learn. You also get less technical interviews.

No one cares about your A-level subjects for IB... Don't know where people keep getting this idea from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your A Level subjects do matter, you need to list them all on your banking applications. I think you generally need a minimum of 350 UCAS points or something (I may be slightly wrong), they also often get brought up in interviews. They can't judge you on your degree performance if it's not completed, as you could claim you're on track for anything and I don't think they can check that.
Original post by \/ibhav

Your A Level subjects do matter, you need to list them all on your banking applications. I think you generally need a minimum of 350 UCAS points or something (I may be slightly wrong), they also often get brought up in interviews. They can't judge you on your degree performance if it's not completed, as you could claim you're on track for anything and I don't think they can check that.

grades matter, subjects suprisingly don't matter much, if at all (to an extent) i.e someone who studied physics a level wouldn't have an advantage over someone who studied psychology to the extent it would make a significant difference. the general weighting of subject choice is low, the condition being you excel in your chosen subject. subjects matter generally with university choices and getting onto uni courses as oppose to job applications, where noone really gives a **** as long as you're a compotenet well rounded person.

once you hit that min of 340 ucas points (or whatever it is these days), and are on track for a 2:1, and go to a decent uni (i.e the ones you mentioned).. academic box is ticked... then comes thing like ec's / awards / achievements / hobbies and the other unspoken pre-requisites of the ib environment.
Original post by gr8wizard10
one of the most competitive careers. have you ever heard of "aim for the stars and if you fall you'll land on the clouds", that was my motivation.. keeps me working hard and consistent. even if my perspective has changed, it'd be nice to have some ib summer internships on my cv, surely that will only be of benefit

Well, that's a good plan! All I'm saying is... it's best to keep your options open!
Reply 32
Original post by shwansalah
I got an offer to study maths at queen mary ( AAB) , im doing maths, further and economics for my a-levels, which i think is a pretty good combo for investment banking. Is the uni enough for the banks to even consider me?

Work at it and you can get there tbh. I did a work experience at JP Morgan and in the FO not everybody went to a target school, furthermore I met someone there who actually did go to QMUL so definitely go for it.
I think it's going to depend on you as a candidate more than anything. If you aren't exceptional (pardon the pun), you won't get into FO. If you work hard, get the grades and score well on the various interview processes then you have a chance of course. Your alma mater isn't everything.
Reply 34
Original post by gr8wizard10
Durham > Birmingham > QMUL > Surrey

This.
Also depends what bank you apply for too. GS focused on recruiting people from a wide variety of universities, i know a handful of people from completely non targeted schools who still managed to convert to front office summer offers (including London met what people like to make jokes about..)

At the end of the day it comes down to your own personal motivations, your spark and what makes you different from other candidates. However coming from a targeted school significantly increases your chances due to previous history of students performing well from these schools.

Many Investment banks have drifted away from A-level requirements now including JPM,CS,DB, Nomura and GS.

Best of luck
whats the likelyhood of getting though to qm through adjustment with grades A*AB for Maths Further and Physics for a mathematics course??

Original post by MaGeehkaal
Also depends what bank you apply for too. GS focused on recruiting people from a wide variety of universities, i know a handful of people from completely non targeted schools who still managed to convert to front office summer offers (including London met what people like to make jokes about..)

At the end of the day it comes down to your own personal motivations, your spark and what makes you different from other candidates. However coming from a targeted school significantly increases your chances due to previous history of students performing well from these schools.

Many Investment banks have drifted away from A-level requirements now including JPM,CS,DB, Nomura and GS.

Best of luck
very likely
Reply 38
Original post by R4JBO55
whats the likelyhood of getting though to qm through adjustment with grades A*AB for Maths Further and Physics for a mathematics course??

This is a rather old thread...

But what is your Firm Offer? Adjustment only applies if you exceed it.

And what is QMUL's typical offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
This is a rather old thread...

But what is your Firm Offer? Adjustment only applies if you exceed it.

And what is QMUL's typical offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

qm typical offer is AAB and i aim to get A*AB. Firm offer that i still need to accept is greenwich which is 104 ucas pts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending