meloj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm so so overwhelmed with all of the work & revision I still have left to do. I only have 3 exams left (out of 9) but they're the most important after how the unit 1's went, and they're the ones I'm most unprepared for.

It's just chemistry. I absolutely hate everything about it, it bores me to death and I'm forcing myself to revise it, I never actually feel productive whilst doing it. I've had an awful teacher all year, and now there's so much I don't understand and especially with the energy module (OCR) I'm just memorising methods and I haven't the slightest idea what they mean! We're having our first official mock in school tomorrow (3 days before the exam?!!) and I'm 95% sure I'm getting an E.

I don't know whether to carry on with revising for chemistry but I also have to focus on my other subjects which I have exams in next week too. Should I just leave chemistry or keep revising & hope for a miracle? I just absolutely dread revising it, and I've been putting so much time into it, I'm starting to ignore my other 2 exams for next week. It just makes me want to cry, I feel like I'm about to have a breakdown. No matter how much I revise it, I get everything wrong and I don't understand any of it. What should I do?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Azula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meloj)
I'm so so overwhelmed with all of the work & revision I still have left to do. I only have 3 exams left (out of 9) but they're the most important after how the unit 1's went, and they're the ones I'm most unprepared for.

It's just chemistry. I absolutely hate everything about it, it bores me to death and I'm forcing myself to revise it, I never actually feel productive whilst doing it. I've had an awful teacher all year, and now there's so much I don't understand and especially with the energy module (OCR) I'm just memorising methods and I haven't the slightest idea what they mean! We're having our first official mock in school tomorrow (3 days before the exam?!!) and I'm 95% sure I'm getting an E.

I don't know whether to carry on with revising for chemistry but I also have to focus on my other subjects which I have exams in next week too. Should I just leave chemistry or keep revising & hope for a miracle? I just absolutely dread revising it, and I've been putting so much time into it, I'm starting to ignore my other 2 exams for next week. It just makes me want to cry, I feel like I'm about to have a breakdown. No matter how much I revise it, I get everything wrong and I don't understand any of it. What should I do?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i know it really is a lot but if you need to understand content in a short space of time i recommend the cgp guide for ur spec because it has notes and then practice questions that are well written and really helped me
Jamess8300
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meloj)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this won't be helpful to you but just keep doing it. When you finish you can take a few days to recover (relax) and you'll look back and say to youself 'how did I do that'. Stop panicking on what your grade might be and just focus on the areas you need to revise. Its intense yes, but it'll be worth it.

Good luck anyway and glad to hear your mostly there!
Laurenafenete
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you doing maths, chemistry and biology/physics? Because if you are same here (maths, chemistry and physics here)
meloj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurenafenete)
Are you doing maths, chemistry and biology/physics? Because if you are same here (maths, chemistry and physics here)
Yes! Maths, chemistry and biology. Feels like the worst decision of my life right now though, chemistry is just killing me. Are you doing stats for maths? Hope your revision is going better than mine is! (shouldn't be hard to beat haha)😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
meloj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azula)
i know it really is a lot but if you need to understand content in a short space of time i recommend the cgp guide for ur spec because it has notes and then practice questions that are well written and really helped me
That's what I'm using yay It's a lifesaver compared to the ocr specific textbook! I'm literally giving up on module 3, I'm just working harder for the others to hopefully pick up my marks from those topics. Like you mentioned though, I desperately need to finish the content and start the dreaded past papers haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laurenafenete
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meloj)
Yes! Maths, chemistry and biology. Feels like the worst decision of my life right now though, chemistry is just killing me. Are you doing stats for maths? Hope your revision is going better than mine is! (shouldn't be hard to beat haha)😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought so. What board are you of for all you subjects? Well Stats is actually my best maths out of the 3 but I did a paper today after not doing it for about a month and I was terrible. Hopefully I can remember what I forgot before the exam. Physics though that's the one in dreading as its on the notorious OCR board.
meloj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jamess8300)
I know this won't be helpful to you but just keep doing it. When you finish you can take a few days to recover (relax) and you'll look back and say to youself 'how did I do that'. Stop panicing on what your grade might be and just focus on the areas you need to revise. Its intense yes, but it'll be worth it.

Good luck anyway and glad to hear your mostly there!

That's what I keep telling myself! This time next week it'll almost be over, just the final stretch now. I was keeping up quite well, the thing that got me panicking was I attempted some exam questions and they just went horribly wrong and it felt like the hours of revision I'd done were all a waste of time. Chemistry just really isn't my subject, if you hadn't already noticed haha!

Thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
meloj
Rep:
?
Thought so. What board are you of for all you subjects? Well Stats is actually my best maths out of the 3 but I did a paper today after not doing it for about a month and I was terrible. Hopefully I can remember what I forgot before the exam. Physics though that's the one in dreading as its on the notorious OCR board.
Maths - Edexcel
Chemistry - OCR (it's a horror show)
Biology - AQA

How about yours? If you understood all of the stats before, it shouldn't take you long at all to just refresh yourself on the topics again. That'll be fine. A lot of people at my school are feeling the same about physics, OCR seemed to really mess around with the exam structure this year in the first exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laurenafenete
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meloj)
Maths - Edexcel
Chemistry - OCR (it's a horror show)
Biology - AQA

How about yours? If you understood all of the stats before, it shouldn't take you long at all to just refresh yourself on the topics again. That'll be fine. A lot of people at my school are feeling the same about physics, OCR seemed to really mess around with the exam structure this year in the first exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh hell woah OCR for chemistry! I'm on edexcel for maths, AQA for chemistry and physics OCR. I also do history OCR but those exams have finised.
For AQA the first chemistry exam is ok but this exam is much longer and harder so I'm not happy about it. Is chemistry OCR like physics OCR where the give you random and niche questions to answer. Yup for physics they screwed us around and probably they will do it again this exam they also did that a bit in history. So at least you not alone in hating OCR!
But the best advice I can give you is do tons of practice papers and look at the mark schemes closely it helped me a lot for AQA chemistry and edexcel core maths (not so much physics in the end shame )
meloj
Rep:
?
Oh hell woah OCR for chemistry! I'm on edexcel for maths, AQA for chemistry and physics OCR. I also do history OCR but those exams have finised.
For AQA the first chemistry exam is ok but this exam is much longer and harder so I'm not happy about it. Is chemistry OCR like physics OCR where the give you random and niche questions to answer. Yup for physics they screwed us around and probably they will do it again this exam they also did that a bit in history. So at least you not alone in hating OCR!
But the best advice I can give you is do tons of practice papers and look at the mark schemes closely it helped me a lot for AQA chemistry and edexcel core maths (not so much physics in the end shame )
Hopefully I'll finish revising over the last bits today, and then just slam the past papers for the weekend. History too? You do the same as my friend, talk about choosing the hardest a-levels! I also did geography on OCR, surprisingly the exam from them was really kind, but the subject itself isn't too challenging if you know all the case studies. Unit 1 chemistry for OCR was ridiculous, they really changed the pattern of the exam structure. Felt like they'd really gone out of their way to test us on the really obscure topics, caught me out in a few questions. So I'm praying unit 2 goes okay so I can hopefully get my grade up, at this rate I'm brutally tearing it down haha!

What are you interested in studying at uni if you don't mind me asking. Just curious from your a-level choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laurenafenete
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meloj)
Hopefully I'll finish revising over the last bits today, and then just slam the past papers for the weekend. History too? You do the same as my friend, talk about choosing the hardest a-levels! I also did geography on OCR, surprisingly the exam from them was really kind, but the subject itself isn't too challenging if you know all the case studies. Unit 1 chemistry for OCR was ridiculous, they really changed the pattern of the exam structure. Felt like they'd really gone out of their way to test us on the really obscure topics, caught me out in a few questions. So I'm praying unit 2 goes okay so I can hopefully get my grade up, at this rate I'm brutally tearing it down haha!

What are you interested in studying at uni if you don't mind me asking. Just curious from your a-level choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics with astrophysics hopefully if I get the grades (I probably won't at this moment in time). As I would like to become an astrophysist when I'm older.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (3)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
13.33%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
13.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (6)
40%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
13.33%

Watched Threads