The Student Room Group

I don't know which language to learn (Arabic or Persian)

I have been studying languages as far as I can remember and speak five fluently and another 4 badly ha.

I am very interested in learning Arabic or Persian, but I can't decide at this point. I kind of want to work in international development so Arabic does make more sense, but I like how Persian sounds more, plus I speak Hindi, so it's more accessible for me.

Arabic cons

1. Don't like the sounds as much.
2. Learning MSA doesn't mean you can speak to Arabic speakers and you need to learn additional dialects depending on where you are.

Persian cons

1. It's not as widely spoken.
2. It's not a UN language and I sort of want to aim towards a career in the UN/similar organisation.

I'll be teaching myself the language and want to start this summer and would really like some advice!

Scroll to see replies

Arabic loads better
Arabic pros

1. Linguistically a rather interesting choice as I have never studied a non Indo European language
2. It would help me a lot with jobs in international development.
3. Learning the script would give me Urdu for free as I speak Hindi (Hindi and Urdu are pretty much the same language but use different scripts)

Persian cons

1. Easier, as it is Indo-European language and I already understand a bit.
2. I love the sound of the language
3. Very interested in South Asian history and Persian was the lingua franca during the Mughal empire period
Original post by queen-bee
Arabic loads better

Any particular reason?
Original post by linguafranca
Any particular reason?

Many benefits along with learning English and French. These are good to have if you want to work for the UN
Arabic would be much more beneficial.
Can confirm farsi sounds better than arabic. :tongue:

Arabic loads better
Original post by BioStudentx
Can confirm farsi sounds better than arabic. :tongue:

It doesn't have that exotic tang to it
Reply 8
Arabic, way more career options.
It doesn't have that exotic tang to it

Disagree. Farsi is much more elegant than Arabic imo.
Disagree. Farsi is much more elegant than Arabic imo.

Trust me I've hear it and it's not to my tastes plus most people would agree Arabic is the best :h:
Trust me I've hear it and it's not to my tastes plus most people would agree Arabic is the best :h:

That's because most people are biased :wink:
That's because most people are biased :wink:

Naw,the truth hurts for sure,that's why most can't handle it and require validation from others :h:
Reply 13
Original post by linguafranca
Arabic pros

1. Linguistically a rather interesting choice as I have never studied a non Indo European language
2. It would help me a lot with jobs in international development.
3. Learning the script would give me Urdu for free as I speak Hindi (Hindi and Urdu are pretty much the same language but use different scripts)

Persian cons

1. Easier, as it is Indo-European language and I already understand a bit.
2. I love the sound of the language
3. Very interested in South Asian history and Persian was the lingua franca during the Mughal empire period

Arabic is really hard to learn tbh (I did arabic myself it was hard)

Persian is way to easy (it's my language lol)
Naw,the truth hurts for sure,that's why most can't handle it and require validation from others :h:

Which language sounds best is completely subjective so I'm happy to agree to disagree. But we all know your style of discussion - "truth hurts, I'm right you're wrong".
Which language sounds best is completely subjective so I'm happy to agree to disagree. But we all know your style of discussion - "truth hurts, I'm right you're wrong".

Farsi won't get you far,career wise.
There's a good man,you're learning habibi :mmm:
Farsi won't get you far,career wise.
There's a good man,you're learning habibi :mmm:

Chashm azizam
Reply 17
Arabic is far more useful.
Arabic hands down
I am leaning towards arabic nowwwww ha

Quick Reply

Latest