SoccerSarah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

Thought it would be good to get a thread set up about Doctor Faustus, if anyone is doing this for elements of the gothic? Just swap and exchange any ideas about AO4, AO2, quotes, AO3 - anything concerning the play. Whatever floats your boat!

I'll start us off with some quotes from the prologue and first scene:

“Swollen with cunning and self-conceit, his waxen wings didmount above his reach, and, melting, Heaven’s conspired his overthrow. Forfalling to a devilish exercise, And glutted now with learning’s golden gifts,he surfeits upon cursed necromancy.”

Intertextual link to the story of Icarus and his "waxen wings". Connects knowledge to indulgence and gluttony.
“Nothing so sweet as magic is to him, Which he prefersbefore his chiefest bliss.”

“Having commenced, be a divine in show.”
“Sweet Analytics, thou hast ravished me.” - Again, connects knowledge to an earthly, bodily substance that he can indulge in and gorge on.

“A greater subject fittest Faustus’ will.” - extra syllable apart from iambic pentameter - thoughts???? Ambition, or restlessness?
“Coulds’t thou make men to live eternally, or, being dead,raise them to life again?” - Faustus subtly talking of Jesus, Who rose again at the Resurrection and promises us eternal life in God. Trying to unsurp God and Jesus, and find a sanitised way of pursuing power - hubristic, elixir of life kind of idea. Challenging boundaries of life - gothic excess and convention.
“The reward of sin is death.” Quote from the Bible, but it's clipped - doesn't say the second half about salvation. Shows how selective Faustus is being, using only the things that - inconsistencies.

Cases he discusses when talking about lawyers are related to fathers and sons - parallels his rejection of the father and son in God and Christ respectively.

So just a few to start us off, hope they help and people reply to this.

Also what other texts are you doing? We're doing White Devil, Frankenstein and Bloody Chamber alongside Faustus - SO MUCH TO LEARN but STAY CALM AND POSITIVE!
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
So far I have these quote that i'm going to learn:

'Faustus lay that damned book aside'
'I'll be great emperor of the world'
'Never too late if Faustus will repent.'
'I do repent and yet I do despair'
'think of heaven and heavenly things'
'fly to india for gold'-power hungery
'why this is hell nor am I out of it'
'Sweet Helen make me immortal with a kiss.'
'Helen, come give me my soul again.'
'Hell is just a frame of mind.'
'Was this the face that launched a thousand ships'
'O spare me Lucifer'-even at the end he looks to the wrong supernatural being
'Despair in God and trust in Belzebub'-blasphemous
'A sound magician is a mighty god.'- accusing god of being a trickster
'To God?' questioning himself
'He loves thee not'-Doesn't think god loves him
'What god can hurt thee'
'Assure my soul to be great Lucifer's.'
'spirits are enforced to rise'
'thou art safe'-Faustus ignorance
'Leave these frivolous demands.'-even Mephistopheles warns him
'One bare hour to live'-time reference
'the watch strikes'
'I would weep but the devil draws in my tears.'- Other forces at work not just Faustus decisions
'You are too ugly to attend on me.'
'Sweet Mephistopheles.'-blasphemous

I hope these are somewhat useful.
If you have any more useful quotations please let me know I want to get at least up to 50
I'm also studying Wuthering Heights and Macbeth- I'm probably going to do wuthering heights for section A but I'm really enjoying Faustus and Macbeth too+ for me it depends on the question completely x
cartonama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there! The other quotes I've learnt- besides the ones already up- are:

'Be thou on Earth as Jove is in the sky' - evil angel, temptation
'Curse Faustus, curse thyself, curse Lucifer/ That hath deprived thee of the joys of heaven' (finally taking accountability)
'Ugly hell, gape not! Come not, Lucifer. I'll burn my books...' (realisation that his thirst for knowledge was the root of his damnation)
'For this is hell, nor am I out of it' (creates pathos for Mephastophilis, links to Wuthering Heights/ Heathcliff's 'living hell')
'Regard his hellish fall, whose fiendish fortunes may exhort the wise only to wonder at unlawful things'- epilogue (wraps up play with traditional message making it less controversial, provides moment of catharsis, shows it was a morality play)

What are people doing for context? So far all I've got is Marlowe's crisis of faith/protestantism of the time...and not even sure if that's right gaaah

I'm also doing Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein (and failing spectacularly)
Peachtree123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just got a question about interpretation from the prologue

We see contrasts made within 'not marching in the fields of Trasimene' and 'base of stock' - with the first interpretation being because of the impact of the renaissance, an ordinary man like Faustus, a common-born scholar, is as important as any king or warrior, and his story is just as worthy of being told.

However I was wondering if an alternative interpretation being because he falls from such a height 'falling to devilish exercise,' - it also shows how any normal man can fall to hell as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (253)
57.11%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.89%

Watched Threads