Kiimii
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey
for nucleophilic reactions, when the reaction is between a halogenoalkane and water, does the water actually react or do the OH- ions and the H is just a spectator ion?
thymolphthalein
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/nucsub/water.html

The water does react, it seems.
Kiimii
Rep:
?
(Original post by thymolphthalein)
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/nucsub/water.html

The water does react, it seems.

Thank you so much! would we only need to know the first step for the exam?
thymolphthalein
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kiimii)
Thank you so much! would we only need to know the first step for the exam?
I can't comment on that, because I do Edexcel and AFAIK we're just supposed to be able to show the mechanism for Sn1 and Sn2 and explain it.

You should check with the specs for your board or ask a teacher/student who does OCR.

The page does says "It is very unlikely that any of the current UK-based syllabuses for 16 - 18 year olds will ask you about this. In the extremely unlikely event that you will ever need it, secondary halogenoalkanes use both an SN2 mechanism and an SN1."
Kiimii
Rep:
?
(Original post by thymolphthalein)
I can't comment on that, because I do Edexcel and AFAIK we're just supposed to be able to show the mechanism for Sn1 and Sn2 and explain it.

You should check with the specs for your board or ask a teacher/student who does OCR.

The page does says "It is very unlikely that any of the current UK-based syllabuses for 16 - 18 year olds will ask you about this. In the extremely unlikely event that you will ever need it, secondary halogenoalkanes use both an SN2 mechanism and an SN1."
I don't think ive ever seen it before and its not in the textbook but I asked someone just I case

oh I didnt read that bit, hopefully it wont come up!

thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (122)
27.29%
England (160)
35.79%
Belgium (33)
7.38%
Germany (43)
9.62%
Spain (10)
2.24%