The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Real Estate Reading Uni Bsc

Saw there hasn't been a thread on this yet. I'm planning to apply for Summer 2016.
Looking at applying to UCL and Manchester possibly. Confused over which to put as my first choice, UCL or Reading. Any help from current students at reading/ucl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tillieh
Saw there hasn't been a thread on this yet. I'm planning to apply for Summer 2016.
Looking at applying to UCL and Manchester possibly. Confused over which to put as my first choice, UCL or Reading. Any help from current students at reading/ucl?

Hi!

I'm a current student at Reading so can tell you more about the university. I have really enjoyed my time here! Is there anything in particular that you would like to know?

First off the campus is really big and green. I would say that a campus uni and a city based uni both offer very different student experiences. Both have their pros and cons so maybe you might to consider which you would prefer, although I must say when I applied I chose a mixture. Being a campus based uni feels like a massive student town and has so much going on. The union runs a club night twice a week which are the biggest nights out in Reading as well as a weekly pub quiz, karaoke and a comedy night that runs fortnightly. The facilities are great on campus and you technically don't need to leave as there is even a bank and a hairdresser's! There are also a small convenience store, a bagel shop, pub, lettings agency and a Korean store. Its also really pretty and has been voted in the UK's top green uni campuses.

There are so many student activities you can get involved in and they form a big part of uni life. There are over a hundred societies and sports clubs as well as volunteering and work schemes that you can join (the fresher's fayre is spread across three days). You can join mountaineering, poker, skiing, roller coaster society, radio, course based societies..etc. For the full list look here: http://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/ There are also many trips you can hop on at really good discounted rates.

Reading town is pleasant too with everything you need really. There's a big shopping centre, many restaurants and cafes (particularly nice along the riverside) and bars. There are some really nice independent places to go to as well! Of course there are many clubs too which means that the nightlife is great with a choice of different nights out. There are some good travel links-great for going home or visiting different parts of the country with London 30 minutes away.

I think that the support that has been given from the uni has been great. They offer so many services that help you with improving your work, enhancing your career skills and wellbeing advice. I have had no trouble approaching my professors and have been able to gain a better insight into how to improve my career prospects. Definitely look out for the events and workshops they run- I've just practically finished my final year and am still seeing new things pop up!

Perhaps you would like to visit the uni? We have two open days coming up next Friday and Saturday but there will be more open days in the autumn and you can arrange a campus tour outside these dates or just have a wander yourself!

I hope this has helped! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :biggrin:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi there!

If you haven't done so already, go along to the relevant Open Days and have a look around Reading and UCL. Listen to what each Uni/course offers and ask questions. Reading is acknowledged as a top global centre for real estate teaching and research (a friend of mine in the industry called it 'The Manchester United of real estate research'...when United were the top club!), whilst UCL has a wider reputation as 'London's Global University' with it's renowned built environment faculty (The Bartlett School). Particularly think about the university environment you want, the course content and options, academic strengths/depth, the extra-curricula offer and job prospects.

Good luck!

Joe Doak (UG Admissions Tutor at Reading)
Reading has just been recommended (by someone in the field) to our son who is mainly looking at Planning. Couldn't make these open days as they clashed with others but we're thinking of coming at the beginning of October although that is tight up against the Cambridge UCAS deadline.

How does the funding work for the four year programme given that it is described as 3 years to BSc Real Estate and followed by MSc in Planning? Is it the same as if you were doing MPlan elsewhere, or are there complications and it is more like doing any 3 year degree and then funding an MSc?
Original post by dirtmother
Reading has just been recommended (by someone in the field) to our son who is mainly looking at Planning. Couldn't make these open days as they clashed with others but we're thinking of coming at the beginning of October although that is tight up against the Cambridge UCAS deadline.

How does the funding work for the four year programme given that it is described as 3 years to BSc Real Estate and followed by MSc in Planning? Is it the same as if you were doing MPlan elsewhere, or are there complications and it is more like doing any 3 year degree and then funding an MSc?

The 3+1 works like the MPlan for student finance i.e. students get student loan arrangement for 4 years. The funding actually covers the BSc and Diploma and there is a small top-up fee to get the MSc (which arguably has greater status than the MPlan, as it's a full masters degree....and students therefore get a BSc Real Estate AND an MSc degree in Urban Planning & Development). The top-up fee is covered anyway because we have a £1000 discount for students who stay-on at Reading to undertake a masters. There are also a number of undergrad and postgrad scholarships from both the Reading Real Estate Foundation and the Henley Business School (of £5K and £9K respectively) and RREF also provide hardship funding (up to £5K), industry mentoring (from second year onwards), a dedicated real estate and planning careers fair and numerous industry talks and presentations. Our graduate employability stats (circa 95-98%) speak for themselves!

It will be great to see you in October and I'm happy to answer any more questions here 'on-line'.

Joe Doak (UG REP Admissions Tutor)
Thanks, that's really helpful. Definitely somewhere he needs to be thinking about then.
Well, that's what 'the industry' think! And, of course, we do too!:wink:

You might want to check-out the video and brochure on our course page: http://www.henley.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/bsc-real-estate-with-msc-dip-urban-planning-and-development-k400/#CImore-info
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
If I were to get 3A's and a B in my AS subjects, what would be the chances of securing an unconditional place at Henley Business school?
(edited 8 years ago)
I too would be interested in whether this course operates an unconditional offer scheme for its most promising applicants prior to A2 results.

I note that the typical offer range is shown as AAA-AAB. Is the lower offer a contextual offer in terms of school? If so, what metric is used to determine eligible schools (my son's school seems to appear on some lists and not others)
Unconditional offer has been operating the past two years, based on GCSE results (and predicted A-level grades of AAB or better). The arrangement might be changing next year, with possible A-level offers below AAB based on similar GCSE results criteria. Come along to the October Open Days and I might be able to update then. Joe.
Reply 10
Hi Joe

My daughter really wants to apply for this course of the Investment/Finance in Property course. The entry requirements are very different on the Henley website to those for the course on the Reading website. She would qualify for the Henley(ABBb) grades but not the Reading grades (AAA-AAB). No can can tell me when I ring but we need to know if she should bother and use one of her 5 UCAS choices if she hasn't got a chance. Could you please help> Thanks

Original post by klsdoakj
Unconditional offer has been operating the past two years, based on GCSE results (and predicted A-level grades of AAB or better). The arrangement might be changing next year, with possible A-level offers below AAB based on similar GCSE results criteria. Come along to the October Open Days and I might be able to update then. Joe.
Thanks for alerting me to this inconsistency! The two offers (AAB and ABBb) still apply. We appreciate the range of subject areas relevant to real estate/planning and therefore currently reflect that in the 'alternative' offer of ABBb. I've asked the University Web people to amend the info to reflect this. Joe
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi Joe. Thanks for this info. My daughter will be delighted! One more really important question she has - what is the gender split on both the Finance and Investment and Real Estate courses? thanks

Thanks for alerting me to this inconsistency! The two offers (AAB and ABBb) still apply. We appreciate the range of subject areas relevant to real estate/planning and therefore currently reflect that in the 'alternative' offer of ABBb. I've asked the University Web people to amend the info to reflect this. Joe
Original post by peck
Hi Joe. Thanks for this info. My daughter will be delighted! One more really important question she has - what is the gender split on both the Finance and Investment and Real Estate courses? thanks

As I said in my email (and posted here so that others might be informed!) the current intake will be 35% female. The Finance and Investment Prog is usually predominantly male but there are only a few modules (in the third year) which they do separately from the other real estate programmes....so it doesn't really matter. As I also regularly say....our female students often get the best degree classifications at the end of the three years!

Joe.
Reply 14
Hi Joe,

Firstly, having attended the Reading open day back in June, i'd like to thank you for the very informative talk you gave! I will also be attending an open day in October, but i have a question that has been eating away at me over the last few weeks. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me an insight as to how much maths is involved in the course and broadly speaking, how quantitative the course is? I can do maths (A* at GCSE) but i think i would be better suited towards a more qualitative course.. hopefully this is the case!

Thanks
Well, there certainly is some maths in the course....as part of the RANGE of subjects that go to support real estate and planning as an academic area and as a professional career. However, our requirement is GCSE grade B and you should be fine with your A*. With a grade like that you would be in the top 30% of the class for maths! The other point to make is that you can select the more 'qualitative' modules in the final year, which is is where most of your degree classification is derived from. It often happens that students surprise themselves and get quite 'into' the more quantitative areas of the course! I hope that eases your concern somewhat.
Joe
(edited 8 years ago)

Update on this issue: the University is not going to make any 'alternative' offers this coming year. However, we will certainly be accepting applicants who get ABBb in their A/AS levels. So don't worry that the offer will be AAB.
Reply 17
Hi Joe. So should be daughter not bother applying - her predicted grades are ABB and her 4th AS was a D?? thanks

Update on this issue: the University is not going to make any 'alternative' offers this coming year. However, we will certainly be accepting applicants who get ABBb in their A/AS levels. So don't worry that the offer will be AAB.
Original post by peck
Hi Joe. So should be daughter not bother applying - her predicted grades are ABB and her 4th AS was a D?? thanks

With predicted grades of ABB she will get an 'aspirational' offer of AAB. She should do her best to reach that level in her A2 exams (to guarantee her a place on the course), but is likely to be successful getting in if she is in that zone. I presume she has at least grade B in GCSE Maths and English, which is also required.
Joe
Reply 19
Yes B in Maths and English at GCSE. But.....worried about AAB offer. Will need to think about how much of a gamble this would be. thanks for your help.

With predicted grades of ABB she will get an 'aspirational' offer of AAB. She should do her best to reach that level in her A2 exams (to guarantee her a place on the course), but is likely to be successful getting in if she is in that zone. I presume she has at least grade B in GCSE Maths and English, which is also required.
Joe

Quick Reply

Latest