The Student Room Group

Do you have to pass all your GCSE's

So i've only got a few exams left until i finish all my GCSE'S but i'm kind of worried i didn't pass all of them. I passed two last year in history with a C and english language with a B, so i've already got two in the bag, but what happens if i get a few D's like in ICT, Chemistry, French, and possibly Physics and Graphics? Will it matter because the A-levels i'm taking are english lit, history and sociology...

This is what i've predicted so far
French- D
ICT- D
Biology- C
Chemistry- Possibly C
Physics- Possibly C
English Lit- A/B
Maths - C
Graphics - B/C
Art- C (could be a B)
(Also including the C from history and B from english language)
(edited 8 years ago)
D is still a pass, but 5 A*-Cs will get you into most 6th forms/colleges, and it seems like you'll easily achieve that. Plus decent grades in the 2 subjects you're continuing. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
If your planning on taking history A level I'd be surprised if they let you in with a C at gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by olitheoblong
If your planning on taking history A level I'd be surprised if they let you in with a C at gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our school sixth form allow C students for history, plus it was a really high C because i got an A and B in both pieces of coursework, just not the exam, that was rough :smile:
Reply 4
I don't think your in a bad position really. My sixth form only offers history to people if they have a B grade minimum but they were quite harsh with entry requirements. The only thing I think might be an issue is when you get to university level and some of the really good universities (specifically UCL) require a pass in a language and a B for maths at some subjects (I think?)
Original post by RandomTeen
So i've only got a few exams left until i finish all my GCSE'S but i'm kind of worried i didn't pass all of them. I passed two last year in history with a C and english language with a B, so i've already got two in the bag, but what happens if i get a few D's like in ICT, Chemistry, French, and possibly Physics and Graphics? Will it matter because the A-levels i'm taking are english lit, history and sociology...

This is what i've predicted so far
French- D
ICT- D
Biology- C
Chemistry- Possibly C
Physics- Possibly C
English Lit- A/B
Maths - C
Graphics - B/C
Art- C (could be a B)
(Also including the C from history and B from english language)

Boost everything upto B and A in History
Reply 6
To be honest it probably depends what you what to go in to after school and what entry requirements your school has- as previously stated, most colleges and sixth forms accept 5 A*-C grades but some are harsher. Definitely aim for Bs in what you want to take at A Level just so you're secure; however, a lot of schools take individual circumstances into consideration- so although their requirement to take a subject may usually be a B, if you got a high C and they know you're capable of getting a decent grade they'll most likely let you take it at least to AS level :smile: For subjects like sociology that you don't already take at A Level they will probably want you to have a good grade in an essay-based subject- so you should be fine with that if you get the predicted B/A in English Literature :smile:
Reply 7
You don't have to pass all of your GCSE's, you just need 5A*-C grades including in English and Maths to progress unto the next level, be it A levels or apprentechips.

You could easily get your grades up to C's and B's if you try from now and your grades are not awful.

I failed history but that does not affect me because I don't want to do anything with history anyway.
D is not a pass
Reply 9
I think it would be good if you passed all your GCSE’s, because it shows your consistency in your work and that you worked hard to do well in all of them and not just pick and choosing.
Most colleges and Unis would want you to have passed all or most of your GCSE’s anyways- and it would be good to leave secondary school with a qualification of all ur subjects, and you didn’t waste 5 years of your life studying them entirely

Quick Reply

Latest