username1269748
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can anyone genuinely make a case for such an archaic and unfair system of electing the executive of the USA?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by She-Ra)
x
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by palmtop)
Can anyone genuinely make a case for such an archaic and unfair system of electing the executive of the USA?
Which exam is this for?
ekmad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Main reason is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Although 2000 (When Gore won the popular vote but lost to Bush via Electoral College votes) was a significant issue it was a rarity, the previous similar election being in 1888 (Cleveland won the popular vote narrowly but lost to Harrison via Electoral College votes).
Due to its position there is no impetus to change due to it being a long held tradition in US politics.
Add to this that it would require a Constitutional Amendment which means it would need even more public support (that's just not there) to get even anywhere near being replaced.
Besides what would you replace it with, bearing in mind any kind of direct democracy (ie voting for the President or a National Party) interferes with the Federal structure of the US.

So yeah, not exactly a positive argument in favour of it but that's the reason it has stuck around
slightlyhomeless
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the only things i can say are that a) it preserves the voice of small states who otherwise would not have a say (regardless of disproportionate influence and distribution of ECVs - like if california was awarded the same number of ECVs in the same ratio as wyoming, it'd have 200)
b) it produces a stronger candidate with an absolute majority, which a proportional system wouldn't do, increasing the likelihood of house of reps/senate having to choose pres/VP, always dangerous in case different parties control each house
c) the rogue electors argument is always nullified by the fact they've never determined the result of the election

so basically, the electoral college is a piece of crap, and the only arguments in favour of it are the weak counterarguments as to why it should just go go go :P (hope i helped at least a little!)
John1209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are doing the F853 paper, do you know what the 'A' question was last year? And any guess as to what the A question will be this year?
slightlyhomeless
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by John1209)
If you are doing the F853 paper, do you know what the 'A' question was last year? And any guess as to what the A question will be this year?
As in the source question? Last year it was on stages of a bill and reasons why they fail. Not sure about what could come up this year though - could literally be anything
John1209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope its not elections, the only topic i havent properly revised cause its rubbish, or supreme court. The only topic they havent asked since 2010 is rights and liberties and thus my teacher thinks itll be rights and liberties -.-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads