Possible derealisation/dissociation disorder?

Watch
Mathangi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Last September I started noticing some strange symptoms, the first time I did was when I was travelling and I was extremely tired and trying to pass some time in a museum before the check-in time at my hostel, I basically started seeing very slight movements in the exhibitions and I was really light headed.

Originally I just assumed it was because I was really tired but it happened a couple more times that day and then over the next few months I started getting this weird feeling more and more often - sort of like extreme light headedness and feeling like I could see things in front of me but there was just something slightly wrong with them? The next few times it happened it only lasted about 10-15 minutes in kind of stressful situations like in a big room of people etc

I've now been experiencing it pretty much all the time for the last 3-4 months and I've been to the doctor and they've tested blood glucose, pressure (slightly low), thyroid, iron, b12 (im vegan) etc and they haven't found anything so I'm wondering if it could be some sort of derealisation/dissociation disorder?

Last year I did have a few issues mentally and took more than one overdose so could it be something to do with my kidneys/liver? I also used to smoke weed quite a lot and last June had a particularly awful experience with mushrooms so idk if that could have anything to do with it?

If anyone else has experienced this disorder it would be good to know if I'm describing what you are experiencing and if you've managed to find any way of reducing it's effects etc?

It doesn't actually seem to affect me too badly, it's really strange because it's almost like I feel like I can't concentrate but I don't think I'm doing any worse with my revision than I was this time last year, but it is weird I really don't know how to describe it properly!

Thanks
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathangi)

I've now been experiencing it pretty much all the time for the last 3-4 months and I've been to the doctor and they've tested blood glucose, pressure (slightly low), thyroid, iron, b12 (im vegan) etc and they haven't found anything so I'm wondering if it could be some sort of derealisation/dissociation disorder?
doctors didn't find anything so surely we have the answer.
you can go to a clinical psychiatrist the same way you can a physician when you're having a tummy ache.
sparkletoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathangi)
Last September I started noticing some strange symptoms, the first time I did was when I was travelling and I was extremely tired and trying to pass some time in a museum before the check-in time at my hostel, I basically started seeing very slight movements in the exhibitions and I was really light headed.

Originally I just assumed it was because I was really tired but it happened a couple more times that day and then over the next few months I started getting this weird feeling more and more often - sort of like extreme light headedness and feeling like I could see things in front of me but there was just something slightly wrong with them? The next few times it happened it only lasted about 10-15 minutes in kind of stressful situations like in a big room of people etc

Last year I did have a few issues mentally and took more than one overdose so could it be something to do with my kidneys/liver? I also used to smoke weed quite a lot and last June had a particularly awful experience with mushrooms so idk if that could have anything to do with it?

If anyone else has experienced this disorder it would be good to know if I'm describing what you are experiencing and if you've managed to find any way of reducing it's effects etc?

It doesn't actually seem to affect me too badly, it's really strange because it's almost like I feel like I can't concentrate but I don't think I'm doing any worse with my revision than I was this time last year, but it is weird I really don't know how to describe it properly!

Thanks
I've experienced derealisation. I can't say I identify with your symptom of seeing things as being 'slightly wrong' but this is a disorder that manifests in many different ways. Are there any other symptoms you've been experiencing?
Also - have you used the website dpselfhelp.com, I found it to be the most useful resource when I was trying to figure out what was happening with me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads