twentyfirstpilot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Really confused about what to pick for my a levels and was wondering if taking 5 would be best for me.
I was definitely going to pick:
-Music
-Psychology
-Biology
-Economics
and considering taking music technology as the last one.
I am interested in doing music or psychology in the future so I thought it would benefit me to do music tech.
Anybody who's done 5 please help!!!
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by twentyfirstpilot)
Really confused about what to pick for my a levels and was wondering if taking 5 would be best for me.
-Music
-Psychology
-Biology
-Economics
I am interested in doing music or psychology in the future so I thought it would benefit me to do music tech.
There's no need to take 5. Pick the 4 you think you will enjoy the most.
kandykissesxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-Music
-Psychology
-Biology
-Economics

I don't do 5 but my cousin does and he has managed fine (he's really good at balancing school life with his social life), i guess to choose 5 you need to be the type of person to understand things first hand and thoroughly, you have to be on the ball always. Biology is more application and remembering which is the same for psy. I can imagine music would be hard?
twentyfirstpilot
Rep:
?
(Original post by kandykissesxox)
I don't do 5 but my cousin does and he has managed fine (he's really good at balancing school life with his social life), i guess to choose 5 you need to be the type of person to understand things first hand and thoroughly, you have to be on the ball always. Biology is more application and remembering which is the same for psy. I can imagine music would be hard?
Thanks, so far I'm finding GCSEs ok, balancing school and social life stuff, tbh, I don't think psy will be too bad bc a lot of it is the GCSE repeated but the music subjects have a lot of coursework , so a bit concerned about that side of things
kandykissesxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, so far I'm finding GCSEs ok, balancing school and social life stuff, tbh, I don't think psy will be too bad bc a lot of it is the GCSE repeated but the music subjects have a lot of coursework , so a bit concerned about that side of things
That's okay then and with coursework you can work on lets say 15-20 mins a day
Clarinet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-Music
-Psychology
-Biology
-Economics

Getting four good As without music tech would be better if you're planning on applying to top universities, which I imagine you would be if you're considering 5 AS levels. Music A level is hard enough, so I'd just focus on the four, and getting the best grades you can in those! You could always do some extra music tech stuff on the side and mention it in your person statement
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't really need 5 a-levels - it might be better to do more practical 'extra-curricular stuff' to show your interest in music?

For example, being in an orchestra (if we're going classical) and doing exams/grades for musical instruments, music theory exams etc.

Learning how to use a soundboard (is that what they're called, i'm hopeless...) perhaps? Helping out with school productions on sound tech stuff is fun as well (mics and soundtracks and shiz) - I've done this and you get to look all cool twiddling buttons that you really have no clue about

And if you have friends who sing and stuff, then you could make a band and do covers, make your own recordings, play around with the tracks and recordings.

Just some thoughts as music tech sounds quite coursework and 'practice' heavy and these are things you could do for fun as well as mentioning on a personal statement and stuff.
twentyfirstpilot
Rep:
?
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
You don't really need 5 a-levels - it might be better to do more practical 'extra-curricular stuff' to show your interest in music?

For example, being in an orchestra (if we're going classical) and doing exams/grades for musical instruments, music theory exams etc.

Learning how to use a soundboard (is that what they're called, i'm hopeless...) perhaps? Helping out with school productions on sound tech stuff is fun as well (mics and soundtracks and shiz) - I've done this and you get to look all cool twiddling buttons that you really have no clue about

And if you have friends who sing and stuff, then you could make a band and do covers, make your own recordings, play around with the tracks and recordings.

Just some thoughts as music tech sounds quite coursework and 'practice' heavy and these are things you could do for fun as well as mentioning on a personal statement and stuff.
Thanks for the advice, I already do lots of music groups outside of school so it should help with applications and stuff
InfoOverload
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-Music
-Psychology
-Biology
-Economics
I'm afraid I can't comment on most of the subjects that you want to do, except biology, which I for one really enjoy. But I am currently doing 5 AS level, and it doesn't seem to be going too badly! (Although I'll have to get back to you on that after results day) For me, most of my subjects are maths based, so where a lot of people find themselves with 5 essays to do each weekend, I haven't had that workload, so that might be something to think about with some of the subjects that you are considering. It is harder during the exam period, as I'm finding that most of my friends have four or five exams, and I have twelve, but I think that also depends on the courses you take, and how coursework-based they are. I'm sure doing music and music tech will complement each-other. I have heard that psychology is interesting, but I think it's a lot of work. Economics sounds pretty interesting too. Also, its better to start off with more and then drop one or two than to start off with less and find that you wished you had picked something different.
I hope this helps. Good luck!
bitofageek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing 5, but two of those are maths and further maths,although timetabled as 2 subjects, if you're good at maths it's more like the workload of 1 and 1/2. My other three are physics, chemistry and history. I personally didn't have difficulties balancing work and social, no more so than any other a level student. If you want to do 5, go for it. However I must say I've done 4 which are easier to revise and work for, I.e. Past papers is the key. Just my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
bethygirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally don't do five but I know a few people who have and they haven't found it beneficial because usually on uni entry requirement it says ' X UCAS points from a maximum of 3 a levels' and some don't even take into consideration the AS level. So you'll be putting more pressure on yourself and having to balance 5 may be difficult and your grades won't be as high as they would if you took 4. You could always start off with 5 and see how you go but a levels are by no means easy, I got such a shock going from floating my way through GCSE without much revision to having to revise for 7 hours a day to even have a shot at doing well
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did 5 AS levels (although one was only critical thinking) and continued 4 essay subjects to A2. In truth 4 was quite enough and in all fairness the 4th subject was pretty irrelevant as all my uni offers were for 3 grades (but it did mean I had 4 chances to get the required 3 grades).

You need to consider the balance between exams and coursework too and play to your strengths - I only did 1 subject with coursework element (English lit/lang) the others were all exam based (psych, sociology and RS) - think it would personally have been harder to cope with more than one coursework module but then again I prefer an exam!

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads