The Student Room Group

Self teaching AS Economics

How long would it take me to self learn the content of AQA AS Economics if I started after next week? Would I be able to complete it before the start of Year 13?

Also, any tips for self learning Economics? :tongue:
Reply 1
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
How long would it take me to self learn the content of AQA AS Economics if I started after next week? Would I be able to complete it before the start of Year 13?

I don't see why not if you worked at it. The YouTube channel pajholden has videos on pretty much all of the micro side of the course which are awesome, and the cgp textbook is pretty good too! But you'd need someone to be able to mark your past papers because knowing the theory and applying it to the given context are two different things :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fudge2
I don't see why not if you worked at it. The YouTube channel pajholden has videos on pretty much all of the micro side of the course which are awesome, and the cgp textbook is pretty good too! But you'd need someone to be able to mark your past papers because knowing the theory and applying it to the given context are two different things :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does pajholden do the macro stufd (unit2)?
I have to go back to school after exams to start A2 anyway so I can probably see an economics teacher every now and then to mark essays.

But I just wanted to get the content down and learn exam technique when I start Year 13. :smile:
Reply 3

Entirely depends how self-motivated you are. I know a old pupil at my school who self taught AS economics and got 200/200 (or whatever full UMS is) but he was very disciplined. An hour of proper study every day would be more than enough if you're focused, just make notes with a textbook, use the internet whatever.
Reply 4
Does pajholden do the macro stufd (unit2)?
I have to go back to school after exams to start A2 anyway so I can probably see an economics teacher every now and then to mark essays.

But I just wanted to get the content down and learn exam technique when I start Year 13. :smile:

Not yet :frown: I was gutted when I was revising haha. On the tutor2u YouTube channel there are a few revision videos for macro, although I don't know how useful they'd be if it was learning for the first time.

Either way I reckon with a decent textbook it should be doable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by voxdock
Entirely depends how self-motivated you are. I know a old pupil at my school who self taught AS economics and got 200/200 (or whatever full UMS is) but he was very disciplined. An hour of proper study every day would be more than enough if you're focused, just make notes with a textbook, use the internet whatever.

Are you an Economics teacher? :smile:
I will try an do an hour a day, maybe 2 hours on days where I am free. But overall you're saying it can be done?

Hoping to pick up A2 if I am allowed so that's why I want to finish AS before Year 13.
Original post by Fudge2
Not yet :frown: I was gutted when I was revising haha. On the tutor2u YouTube channel there are a few revision videos for macro, although I don't know how useful they'd be if it was learning for the first time.

Either way I reckon with a decent textbook it should be doable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay, there's lots of resources for AQA Economics so I will use them to my advantage. I'll probably use the textbook first then use revision videos to consolidate what I've learnt :smile:
Reply 7
Are you an Economics teacher? :smile:
I will try an do an hour a day, maybe 2 hours on days where I am free. But overall you're saying it can be done?

Hoping to pick up A2 if I am allowed so that's why I want to finish AS before Year 13.

No I'm not haha. I don't know for certain what a plan for self-study would be as I've never self-taught myself a whole A level course. I'd say that a good hour a day (more on holidays/weekends) should work though based off the timescales I've used to teach myself chapters in other A-level subjects.

I'd just say be very careful about whether you really want to study it. Lots of students in my year took it because it was "respected", "useful" etc and then found it conceptually quite dull, and if you find it dull, you won't be able to self-teach it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by voxdock
No I'm not haha. I don't know for certain what a plan for self-study would be as I've never self-taught myself a whole A level course. I'd say that a good hour a day (more on holidays/weekends) should work though based off the timescales I've used to teach myself chapters in other A-level subjects.

I'd just say be very careful about whether you really want to study it. Lots of students in my year took it because it was "respected", "useful" etc and then found it conceptually quite dull, and if you find it dull, you won't be able to self-teach it.

Yeah self teaching the whole course would be difficult for me, just looking into self teaching the AS side as it is relatively easier compared to the A2.

I do have an interest in Economics and I have looked into some of the concepts and find it interestinf. Hopefully the interest doesn't fade away during the course :tongue:
Has anyone learnt the AS over summer before? Need some help from someone who has done it before.

Quick Reply

Latest