Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel GCSE History A - Monday 1st June watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone make a post beneath on how to answer each type of question in the paper based on the marks?

ReputationRep:
    sure thing!! this is the cold war paper right? my school made us a grid on how to answer the questions lmfao :')
    ok question 1 assesses your source understanding skills, and its 2 marks. youre given a source, a statement, and you need to find evidence from the source that proves the statement. so thats pretty straightforward

question 2 assesses knowledge recall, and its 4 marks. youre asked to "outline 2" somethings- so you might be asked to outline two steps taken by khrushchev after nagy took power in hungary, for instance. in this question you outline a reason in one sentence (so you might say 'khrushchev had nagy arrested and removed from power') which is one mark, and then develop it in another sentence ('he did this to reassert soviet control in hungary', or smthn to that effect.). you do this twice for the 4 marks.

question 3 is the usefulness of two sources (why did they decide to put this so early in the paper???). its 10 marks, so you should write 3 paragraphs. the first paragraph focuses on the first source and why it might or might not be so useful, depending on the content, the nature, origin or purpose of the source. so think NOP + own knowledge. you do this again in the second paragraph for the second source. paragraph 3 is your judgement, in which you compare the sources and decide which is the more useful and why.

question 4 is the key features question!!! heheh i love this q. youre given a choice of two qs, each of which is 6 marks. for key features, you need two or more developed statements, preferably one paragraph each- a 'key feature' can be anything to do with an event; for example, if the question is on the key features of detente, you might want to write about SALT I and the end of detente with the soviet invasion of afghanistan, because both are directly related to detente. here its all about your knowledge of the event they ask about in the question

question 5 is the significance question- you're given a choice of four events, and you have to pick three and explain why they were significant in international relations. no prioritising, linking, etc is needed here. think of it as like key features but you focus on significance. write a paragraph for each chosen event, explaining why it was important with detailed factual support. its a 15 mark question, but it's really a 5 mark question x3.

the last question is about causation and significance and is worth the most marks (13). it'll be phrased 'explain why relations between the USA and the Soviet Union grew (better/worse) in the years (usually a four year time period)'. you're given two causes as stimulus material to write about, and you need to think of one yourself to get top marks. write a paragraph for each in order of importance, making sure to drop in stuff like 'i believe this was the most important because of xyz', as prioritising gets you marks. try to make links between the causes as well, and explain specifically how they led to the bettering or worsening (is that a word) of relations between the superpowers. the last paragraph is your conclusion, in which you just compare relative importance.

sorry that this was a little long!!! but thats how you do the paper. wishing u good luck!!!! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Medicine Through Time GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazykiwi)
    sure thing!! this is the cold war paper right? my school made us a grid on how to answer the questions lmfao :'
    ok question 1 assesses your source understanding skills, and its 2 marks. youre given a source, a statement, and you need to find evidence from the source that proves the statement. so thats pretty straightforward

question 2 assesses knowledge recall, and its 4 marks. youre asked to "outline 2" somethings- so you might be asked to outline two steps taken by khrushchev after nagy took power in hungary, for instance. in this question you outline a reason in one sentence (so you might say 'khrushchev had nagy arrested and removed from power' which is one mark, and then develop it in another sentence ('he did this to reassert soviet control in hungary', or smthn to that effect.). you do this twice for the 4 marks.

question 3 is the usefulness of two sources (why did they decide to put this so early in the paper???). its 10 marks, so you should write 3 paragraphs. the first paragraph focuses on the first source and why it might or might not be so useful, depending on the content, the nature, origin or purpose of the source. so think NOP + own knowledge. you do this again in the second paragraph for the second source. paragraph 3 is your judgement, in which you compare the sources and decide which is the more useful and why.

question 4 is the key features question!!! heheh i love this q. youre given a choice of two qs, each of which is 6 marks. for key features, you need two or more developed statements, preferably one paragraph each- a 'key feature' can be anything to do with an event; for example, if the question is on the key features of detente, you might want to write about SALT I and the end of detente with the soviet invasion of afghanistan, because both are directly related to detente. here its all about your knowledge of the event they ask about in the question

question 5 is the significance question- you're given a choice of four events, and you have to pick three and explain why they were significant in international relations. no prioritising, linking, etc is needed here. think of it as like key features but you focus on significance. write a paragraph for each chosen event, explaining why it was important with detailed factual support. its a 15 mark question, but it's really a 5 mark question x3.

the last question is about causation and significance and is worth the most marks (13). it'll be phrased 'explain why relations between the USA and the Soviet Union grew (better/worse) in the years (usually a four year time period)'. you're given two causes as stimulus material to write about, and you need to think of one yourself to get top marks. write a paragraph for each in order of importance, making sure to drop in stuff like 'i believe this was the most important because of xyz', as prioritising gets you marks. try to make links between the causes as well, and explain specifically how they led to the bettering or worsening (is that a word) of relations between the superpowers. the last paragraph is your conclusion, in which you just compare relative importance.

sorry that this was a little long!!! but thats how you do the paper. wishing u good luck!!!! :yy:
    For question 4, how big should the paragraphs be?

ReputationRep:
    I am so confused. Is anyone here doing the Cambridge IGCSE paper or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blitzchika)
    For question 4, how big should the paragraphs be?
    they dont have to be that big at all! its more about the quality of your own knowledge. a statement starting with 'one key feature of *whatever the question asked about*', followed by 4/5 sentences of relevant, detailed evidence is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asha.o)
    I'm doing Medicine Through Time GOOD LUCK!
    Same do you have the structure for the part a,b and c

ReputationRep:
    Also there's a 10 mark question that is source based. They'll give you two sources (a picture and a speech), then they'll ask how useful are the two sources. For this question I make a table. Origin (primary or secdonary), Purpose (why was is created?), Value( how use is this source? Can I trust the source?), Limitiations( basically why it isn't useful, why you can't trust it. Most likely a lack of detail will be part of your limitations.
    For this question you need three paragraphs. Paragraph 1 (how useful is source a), Paragrapgh 2 (how useful it source b), Paragrapgh 3 (this source is more useful than the other because.....). Also for your first paragraph make sure you start off by saying, "Both sources are you because they're are both primary sources( or secdonary), then continue from there.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the Cold War?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z212)
    Also there's a 10 mark question that is source based. They'll give you two sources (a picture and a speech), then they'll ask how useful are the two sources. For this question I make a table. Origin (primary or secdonary), Purpose (why was is created?), Value( how use is this source? Can I trust the source?), Limitiations( basically why it isn't useful, why you can't trust it. Most likely a lack of detail will be part of your limitations.
    For this question you need three paragraphs. Paragraph 1 (how useful is source a), Paragrapgh 2 (how useful it source b), Paragrapgh 3 (this source is more useful than the other because.....). Also for your first paragraph make sure you start off by saying, "Both sources are you because they're are both primary sources( or secdonary), then continue from there.
    The source question is 8 marks isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cubixx)
    The source question is 8 marks isn't it?
    It's 10 marks starting this year. There's a new easier exam. Check the specimen

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that the old system? My teacher told us that last year they changed the system and there are new types of questions. I'm not sure if the ones you've explained are the old style or the new style.
    If anyone does know anything about the new style can you please explain it because I'm really confused :

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this will work but check this out if it does https://files.itslearning.com/File/D...d/GetFile.aspx it's a generic mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone want me to email it to them somehow? It's literally got everything

ReputationRep:
    It says it requires a username and password

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a website that the school kinda sets up so we have to have logins, I can email it though

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  177.6 KB

ReputationRep:
Views: 418
Size:  230.0 KB

ReputationRep:
Views: 412
Size:  249.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    I hope that works

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.