Is it possible to 'look up to' a stranger?

Watch this thread
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I was watching on of my favourite youtuber who happens to be gay and basically a lot of the comments were positive and even people went as far as saying the youtuber is their idiol and they look up to him. You hear this all the time with people idolising celebrities as well and it makes me feel uncomfortable and I pity these people. Because they don't have anyone in their imediate lives to actually look up to. For me growing up it was my parents and to a lesser extent uncles/aunties never would I dream of saying to my parents "I look up to" a celebrity because it doesn't make sense... Why should I look up to a stranger who doesn't even know I exist...

Mind boggling
whorace
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes but I don't recommend it as it can be quite intimidating.
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What does it have to do with them knowing of your existence? That doesn't matter, it's solely about them. I personally don't have any role models. I don't think there's anything strange about looking up to people such as Clement Attlee or Nelson Mandela.
Smilin’ Knight
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hm, you only ever see the good side of celebs so its like comparing yourself to perfection, not because they are perfect, just because that's the side you get to see. Unattainable goals.
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Theres a difference between idolising somebody because of the illusion that celebrities are somehow superior to us, and admiring people for what they do. I dont know particular music artists personally, but i look up to them in the sense that i respect the messages that they send out.
whorace
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
Hm, you only ever see the good side of celebs so its like comparing yourself to perfection, not because they are perfect, just because that's the side you get to see. Unattainable goals.
Perfection? Is that what people call celebs? I call them plebs with awful status and money.
blackened_sky
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hm, you only ever see the good side of celebs
I don't think that's true. If a celebrity puts a foot wrong then every gossip mag jumps down their throat these days. They have every aspect of their lives scrutinised.
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
Perfection? Is that what people call celebs? I call them plebs with awful status and money.
Not all celebrities are awful, there are humble and honourable men amongst them such as Keanu Reeves.
Smilin’ Knight
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
I personally don't buy into it (I have to google most 'celebs' people mention from under my rock) so i agree with you. i'm just assuming from what other people say about them with the constant idolization regardless of what they have done

(Original post by blackened_sky)
I don't think that's true. If a celebrity puts a foot wrong then every gossip mag jumps down their throat these days. They have every aspect of their lives scrutinised.
I guess there has to be some downsides
blackened_sky
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I guess there has to be some downsides
Aye, Ian Somerhalder has been getting sh*t recently because he (quite politely) asked a group of fans to not follow him, and that he didn't want to take any pictures because he was on his honeymoon. The money must be nice, but I don't think I could cope with being literally stalked everywhere.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I look up to a lot of figures from history; great reformers, prominent statesmen, effective politicians, brilliant generals ect.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are my idols, but I don't see anything wrong in admiring attributes and convictions of people you have never met or who have long since been dead.

But it is important to have everyday role models; in your family, at school, in your local community ect.
aaronlowe
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Maybe if they're standing on a wall...
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it is.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If they're quite a bit taller than you then yeah.
Hashim123
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't like to use this willy-nilly, but you sound like you're trolling. I put it down to your almost-childlike oversimplification of the issue you're discussing, and the judgemental tone you do it in. On the off-chance you aren't actually trolling and this is a genuine post, though...

(Original post by Daenerys...)
So I was watching on of my favourite youtuber who happens to be gay and basically a lot of the comments were positive and even people went as far as saying the youtuber is their idiol and they look up to him. You hear this all the time with people idolising celebrities as well and it makes me feel uncomfortable and I pity these people. Because they don't have anyone in their imediate lives to actually look up to. For me growing up it was my parents and to a lesser extent uncles/aunties never would I dream of saying to my parents "I look up to" a celebrity because it doesn't make sense... Why should I look up to a stranger who doesn't even know I exist...

Mind boggling
Non-sequitur logical fallacy. Just because one premise is true doesn't mean the other unrelated premise is. In this case, just because people idolise celebrities, it doesn't logically follow that they "don't have anyone in their immediate lives to look up to". There's no innate psychological cap on the amount of people that you respect and look up to that you can fit in your head before one has to be pushed out for another to take their place. It's perfectly possible to look up to your parents and elder relatives whilst simultaneously looking up to some YouTubers and not have a neurological meltdown. Often, you respect different people for different things. I could look up to my parents cos of what they've done for me, but look up to someone like Harry Fear for his work in journalism, and look up to Frankie Boyle cos he's a funny bas tard and a bit of a comical genius, and so on. I'm really not understanding why this is such a hard concept to grasp, hence "childish" and leading me to conclude that you were probably trolling. Granted, there are stupid reasons to look up to people, but that's applicable whether that person is part of someone's immediate life or not, and so a whole other point to the one you're making.
aaronlowe
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Depends if she's standing over me while I'm lying on the floor
mjrd
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blackened_sky)
Aye, Ian Somerhalder has been getting sh*t recently because he (quite politely) asked a group of fans to not follow him, and that he didn't want to take any pictures because he was on his honeymoon. The money must be nice, but I don't think I could cope with being literally stalked everywhere.
Oww i could stalk ian, yum yum lol. Dnt look upto him in a hero sense though but hes defo sexy to me.
LauraMayden1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emily.97)
Theres a difference between idolising somebody because of the illusion that celebrities are somehow superior to us, and admiring people for what they do. I dont know particular music artists personally, but i look up to them in the sense that i respect the messages that they send out.
This. You can admire people and look up to them for how they are and what they do, but I wouldn't turn them into my idol or let what they do affect my life (like how some people get depressed if a celebrity they 'love' goes out with someone else)
mjrd
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I dont look upto anyone. I respect lots of people for thier achievements, but without personally knowing them they would never be my hero. They might have great achievements but be complete arse holes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads