The Student Room Group

Moving into Y12

Obviously this summer holiday I don't want to do much stuff after GCSE exams, but just before I go back - i.e. late august - is it worth it getting those CGP 'step up' books? It will make me prepared for what's ahead and will mean I can settle into A-levels quicker and feel more confident.

So yeah, is it worth it?

The options I'm doing are - Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics
Original post by jamestg
Obviously this summer holiday I don't want to do much stuff after GCSE exams, but just before I go back - i.e. late august - is it worth it getting those CGP 'step up' books? It will make me prepared for what's ahead and will mean I can settle into A-levels quicker and feel more confident.

So yeah, is it worth it?

I don't really think its necessary. If you want to do something, find an area of one of your subjects that your interested in and just read a good book about it, no need to learn as content over the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
I don't really think its necessary. If you want to do something, find an area of one of your subjects that your interested in and just read a good book about it, no need to learn as content over the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't actually want to learn the content, the books basically takes the harder GCSE topics, recaps them, and briefly introduces to the key a-level topics. It's not even that thick, 40 pages or so.
Original post by jamestg
I don't actually want to learn the content, the books basically takes the harder GCSE topics, recaps them, and briefly introduces to the key a-level topics. It's not even that thick, 40 pages or so.

Honestly I would still just read a proper book that you are interested in. I had no issues moving to as and I did nothing over the summer so I wouldn't worry. Find a topic you are interested in and read about it, the key to doing well at a level is to enjoy the subject so read about something you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

So yeah, is it worth it?

I got an A in both Biology and Chemistry GCSE, Chemistry was then my passion. I didn't 'revise' between GCSE and AS like you suggested and got to year 12, oh my christ in hell, chemistry was the spawn of satan, i failed it so i had to resit and i'm going to fail again, the application there is just so so much, the amount of time you'll need to put into it is stupid, so for chemistry i would most definitely recommend reading over your stuff before starting year 12. However a lot of the stuff you learned at GCSE is necessarily true.
Nah, it's not worth it. Yes there's a step up, but you should enjoy your last slither of freedom in the summer!
The effect of the step up is kind of cancelled out by your decrease in subjects.

If you're going to buy books in advance, ask which exam boards you're going to be on and find some relevant (current specification) textbooks if there are any out yet. Then again, I bought an AS maths revision guide, and dropped maths within a week at sixth form XD oops... So I gave the book to a friend in need.
A levels really aren't as difficult as you may have heard. It is harder to get an A in them than in GCSEs though since the grade boundaries tend to be higher. The stuff you learn about starts to feel more 'grown up' (I'm doing biology, chemistry, physics and psychology)

Quick Reply

Latest