The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fighting123
I see, thanks. People usually stay in ensuite single rooms or ensuite studio rooms? I guess ensuite single rooms are big enough and suitable if you're not cooking?

most of them are ensuite singles anyways
I stay in a studio just cuz I cook a lot
Reply 41
Original post by cholelwt
most of them are ensuite singles anyways
I stay in a studio just cuz I cook a lot

Hey!

Sorry to bother but you seem really knowledgeable about CSFC cuz you're a student there - I was just wondering whether you could answer some of my questions :smile: I've got an offer from CSFC for Sept 2019 intake and one from OIC, and I'm having a bit of trouble choosing which one to go to.
- I know Yasmin left CSFC a while back for OIC, was there a particular reason for this? I heard some kinda sketchy stuff but not sure what to believe haha
- What is the accommodation like? And the teachers? And just more deets on the overall atmosphere too lol
- I think I've practically scoured all of Google for anything I can find on the 2 schools, I found this article https://thetab.com/2016/03/18/britains-brainiest-school-business-not-learning-72257 from a former CSFC student and I have no idea what to think - your thoughts please?

Thank you so so much, any advice at all would be super helpful!
Original post by pearln1
Hey!

Sorry to bother but you seem really knowledgeable about CSFC cuz you're a student there - I was just wondering whether you could answer some of my questions :smile: I've got an offer from CSFC for Sept 2019 intake and one from OIC, and I'm having a bit of trouble choosing which one to go to.
- I know Yasmin left CSFC a while back for OIC, was there a particular reason for this? I heard some kinda sketchy stuff but not sure what to believe haha
- What is the accommodation like? And the teachers? And just more deets on the overall atmosphere too lol
- I think I've practically scoured all of Google for anything I can find on the 2 schools, I found this article https://thetab.com/2016/03/18/britains-brainiest-school-business-not-learning-72257 from a former CSFC student and I have no idea what to think - your thoughts please?

Thank you so so much, any advice at all would be super helpful!

I was in the same situation, both gave me scholarships

People said that she didn’t like the new buyer of the school but at the time there was financial issues but it happened the year before me and the school seems to go on just fine
The accommodations are really nice (compared to other boarding schools) and is definitely nearer to school than wavy gates to oic (if you treasure convenience) and is 2 mins away from town centre.
Teachers are fab (they actually made me interested in all my chosen subjects) and if I didn’t say I started Chemistry at A Levels and I’d say I’m picking it up well
Well I’d say most people come here quite brainy, but well most schools are a business here. I’d say the atmosphere here helps you to learn how to maintain a work life balance to adapt to uni. I’ve heard OIC has been wanting to push grades up and has been a really harsh cram school by having 12 hour days or more. CSFC doesn’t really force you but people do their own studies. The thing is everyone has their own way of studying and there is no perfect way to push grades up. The teachers are often in at weekends if students have problems and they will all be here during half terms and easter.
I’d say dm me for personal questions, I thought it would be a cram school here before I came but it actually made me find my interests in Maths and they have a absolutely fav STEP teacher here and helps you to prep from AS which is super useful.
Oh yea and they still kept that AAB requirement, sounds harsh but it actually motivates you to get over it, only around 5 gets kicked out of 130 (my year has mysteriously low numbers of students)
A lot in my year were scared of not meeting the standards by exam time and gets stressed, but think about it, at uni you face even higher levels of stress (especially the bunch of medics) and AAB is pretty much good unis want.
If you are aiming for good unis, AAB isn’t a harsh requirement and I don’t quite see the problem there. Rarely does people drop out but they do have sanctions on drinking and smoking which could risk you being kicked out (well that really only applies to borders) you’ll be surprised people are more likely to be kicked out due to offences than grades!
Reply 44
Original post by cholelwt
I was in the same situation, both gave me scholarships

People said that she didn’t like the new buyer of the school but at the time there was financial issues but it happened the year before me and the school seems to go on just fine
The accommodations are really nice (compared to other boarding schools) and is definitely nearer to school than wavy gates to oic (if you treasure convenience) and is 2 mins away from town centre.
Teachers are fab (they actually made me interested in all my chosen subjects) and if I didn’t say I started Chemistry at A Levels and I’d say I’m picking it up well
Well I’d say most people come here quite brainy, but well most schools are a business here. I’d say the atmosphere here helps you to learn how to maintain a work life balance to adapt to uni. I’ve heard OIC has been wanting to push grades up and has been a really harsh cram school by having 12 hour days or more. CSFC doesn’t really force you but people do their own studies. The thing is everyone has their own way of studying and there is no perfect way to push grades up. The teachers are often in at weekends if students have problems and they will all be here during half terms and easter.
I’d say dm me for personal questions, I thought it would be a cram school here before I came but it actually made me find my interests in Maths and they have a absolutely fav STEP teacher here and helps you to prep from AS which is super useful.

Thanks so much, that definitely clarifies a few things and is really encouraging haha
I think I am leaning more towards CSFC now (it's a shame we won't see each other cuz by the time I arrive you'll have graduated), will dm if any more questions pop up! And good luck with your A-levelss
Original post by pearln1
Thanks so much, that definitely clarifies a few things and is really encouraging haha
I think I am leaning more towards CSFC now (it's a shame we won't see each other cuz by the time I arrive you'll have graduated), will dm if any more questions pop up! And good luck with your A-levelss

You’ll probably bump into me when you’re off to interviews or when I come back to visit you won’t know hahaha

Good luck anyways:biggrin:
Reply 46
Hellllo I am year10 now and I am applying to the CSFC’s IGCSE course but I am not really clear about what is inside so anyone is studying there or even study IGCSE there could tell me more about it thanksssss
Original post by Ltccc
Hellllo I am year10 now and I am applying to the CSFC’s IGCSE course but I am not really clear about what is inside so anyone is studying there or even study IGCSE there could tell me more about it thanksssss

Tbh if you are able to do IGCSE elsewhere for 2 years there’s not much use of doing the 1 year IGCSE course cuz you don’t do as much gcses than other people.
There might be someone else in the thread who have done it but it’s a fresh course this year so well A Level ppl don’t know much bout it
Reply 48
Hello Chole I am from hong Kong haha are you studying in csfc?? If you are, would u know how many students are studying in IGCSE in csfc this year??
Original post by Ltccc
Hello Chole I am from hong Kong haha are you studying in csfc?? If you are, would u know how many students are studying in IGCSE in csfc this year??

I am from hong kong too!
I would put a wild guess of around 20, but GCSEs and anyone under 16 by sept the year of entry will be CSAs and they have even stricter rules (eg earlier curfews, prep and can’t go out on their own etc)

I went from F4 to Year 12 here, didn’t regret skipping that year
Hello. I am from Hong Kong too. I got accepted to CSFC this September for A levels. However I am a form 5 student, which meant that I am going to regret my decision in not skipping a year.😑
Original post by Michelle Chan
Hello. I am from Hong Kong too. I got accepted to CSFC this September for A levels. However I am a form 5 student, which meant that I am going to regret my decision in not skipping a year.😑

Most people do so, somehow I’m one of those who came here after F4 and is one of the youngest in the year (and now as a Year 13 is younger than many Year 12s😂)
Omg same here! I am worried I'll feel bad seeing all my classmates getting in uni while I'm still in y13. But still I think I'll be going to csfc.
Original post by Fighting123
Omg same here! I am worried I'll feel bad seeing all my classmates getting in uni while I'm still in y13. But still I think I'll be going to csfc.

Then you remember UK unis are shorter so you graduate the same time!
(I do have to do a masters to graduate the same time as my friends)
I think I was too worried about not catching up in year 12 initially so I decided to study in Hong Kong for form 5 first. May I ask which school are you from back In Hong Kong? It's ok if you don't want to tell me though, or just pm me. It's a shame that I wouldn't be seeing you around in CSFC in September. If I am correct you will have graduated.
Hi everyone, I’ll be studying at CSFC in this September. Can anyone tell me if it’s necessary to buy books on the book list? Since I heard some graduates said teachers there distribute notes and teach based on it. Thankssss
Original post by lwhrenee
Hi everyone, I’ll be studying at CSFC in this September. Can anyone tell me if it’s necessary to buy books on the book list? Since I heard some graduates said teachers there distribute notes and teach based on it. Thankssss

Well you can always buy it here
I don’t own any of the books other than Maths which the school will provide and is deducted from Deposit (if you do maths). The other books are not really useful for sciences (see amazon reviews on how many mistake the books have)
I do Physics and Chem and their notes are more than enough for the exam
Reply 57
heard that if you do not get enough A in yr AS or IGCSE result you will be kick out
IS THAT TURE quite scared
Original post by Ltccc
heard that if you do not get enough A in yr AS or IGCSE result you will be kick out
IS THAT TURE quite scared

Yes if you don’t get AAB by AS you might be asked to leave
In my year there was 5 but for real that is a great motivation for you to study
I think the iGCSE part is just for your sixth form condition where if you don’t meet it you just can’t go there (I’ve heard that before)
And to be honest if you would like to come to this school you would have certain expectations to yourself, not to mention you might be a high scorer in your old school
AAB out of 4 ASes (some do even more) wouldn’t be too hard
(edited 5 years ago)
How bout calculators? Seems like we have to buy them before hand. Does many students have the books?

Latest