The Student Room Group

being marked unfairly because of chronic ill health

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this issue, I have an on going issue with my stomach, it means I have take strong pain killers and sickness tablets.
I applied for DSA and chronic ill health support at University in my 2nd year, when an attendance grade was introduced, I was told this would 'secure' I was not marked unfairly compared to my healthier class mates.

However last year my attendance grades ranged from 60%-80%, holding 10% per module. When I questioned the grade to my head of faculty, I was told "I was marked to my average coursework grade" and the two higher grades of 80% were simply a mistake, despite the fact none of my attendance grades met my average grades.

Here is where the problem started:

I spoke to my friend who also suffers bad health on my course, who said all her attendance grades are marked at 80%, despite having a 60% average on her coursework. She said they were not marked to my average grades, but leeway was given to people who are sick - which my administration office of my department further confirmed.

So they advised me to apply for extensions, assuring me it would be okay.
Neither of my grades changed, and when contacting my tutor, she simply said "You didn't tell me about your condition in advance." and "I mark you on your ability in class" when I told her further how my medication affected my ability to participate in class. (strong painkillers)
The low attendance marks brought my overall degree down for a 2.1 to a 2.2, so Im pretty gutted about it.

Furthermore, people who don't have chronic conditions still get higher grades than me, with 2.2 average students scoring 80% in attendance, whereas I'm continuously marked at 60% - 'my average' because I'm too ill for them to determine it correctly on my performance.

When I try to talk to anyone in my department about it, they don't want to know, or simply don't understand the procedure, or recognise I'd had a condition.

I don't really know what to do as I have informed them....I feel discriminated against for being sick. What paths can I take to resolve this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Your uni will have a Student Support department, who should work to resolve this kind of issue on your behalf. Just email them the details as above. I'd leave out comments about your disappointment about grades, as that can come across as sour grapes in the initial stages. Just stick to the facts - which seem pretty convincing to me. At most unis, it wouldn't be your job to inform staff of your problems. If you have DSA, there should be a framework of support and communication in place. Either it hasn't happened, or it hasn't worked. Someone at the uni needs to fix it.

Also, contact your Student Union at the same time. They will have a Disability Officer who should be able to advise further.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this issue, I have an on going issue with my stomach, it means I have take strong pain killers and sickness tablets.
I applied for DSA and chronic ill health support at University in my 2nd year, when an attendance grade was introduced, I was told this would 'secure' I was not marked unfairly compared to my healthier class mates.

However last year my attendance grades ranged from 60%-80%, holding 10% per module. When I questioned the grade to my head of faculty, I was told "I was marked to my average coursework grade" and the two higher grades of 80% were simply a mistake, despite the fact none of my attendance grades met my average grades.

Here is where the problem started:

I spoke to my friend who also suffers bad health on my course, who said all her attendance grades are marked at 80%, despite having a 60% average on her coursework. She said they were not marked to my average grades, but leeway was given to people who are sick - which my administration office of my department further confirmed.

So they advised me to apply for extensions, assuring me it would be okay.
Neither of my grades changed, and when contacting my tutor, she simply said "You didn't tell me about your condition in advance." and "I mark you on your ability in class" when I told her further how my medication affected my ability to participate in class. (strong painkillers)
The low attendance marks brought my overall degree down for a 2.1 to a 2.2, so Im pretty gutted about it.

Furthermore, people who don't have chronic conditions still get higher grades than me, with 2.2 average students scoring 80% in attendance, whereas I'm continuously marked at 60% - 'my average' because I'm too ill for them to determine it correctly on my performance.

When I try to talk to anyone in my department about it, they don't want to know, or simply don't understand the procedure, or recognise I'd had a condition.

I don't really know what to do as I have informed them....I feel discriminated against for being sick. What paths can I take to resolve this?

Thanks

I had a similar problem to you in regards to my work. since I have a disability where I have frequent chest infections I have to be admitted into hospital.

I had to have tutoring at home which my college didn't pay for.

I missed college for a month went back and I got accused of copying a word for English which I had found in the terminology list provided from themselves. this absoloutley bought my self-confidence down. it was a week near exams, my parents arranged a meeting with the SENCO, English teacher and head of sixth form. other subject teachers had turned up. and decided to pick on me.

problem is stil on - going

have you told the disability support team about your condition? maybe it might help if your doctor writes a letter to your uni - explaining your diagnosis?

discrimination side I would suggest a round up meeting with head teacher. and SENCO. Have someone their that knows you are capable e.g family friend (you'll need a back up) someone who is good at talking and handing situations

hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest