SimplyGuided
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys I'm a new user so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong category or something...
I've taken AS statistics and have done my c1 and c2 exams. C1 I know for sure I've gotten a b but c2 was a whole lot worse and I know I'll need to resit at least one maths exam next summer. My question is if I drop maths at A2... Can I still resit ?
urkadee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, you can still resit but note that it will be more difficult to repeat these modules having not studied anything maths related for a whole year. C2 is easy to repeat once you have learnt C3 and C4, so don't worry about that. If it was just a bad day, and you are good at maths, I would keep Maths on and work on bringing up your AS exams. Ensure you don't repeat your S1, as it will be very hard to repeat next year, not studying any stats in A2.

Like i say, if it was just a bad day, keep the maths on and work on it, dropping a subject you got an A at AS and may not get at A2. That way you would have e.g. AAAa. This route is not for everyone though!
SimplyGuided
Rep:
?
(Original post by urkadee)
Yes, you can still resit but note that it will be more difficult to repeat these modules having not studied anything maths related for a whole year. C2 is easy to repeat once you have learnt C3 and C4, so don't worry about that. If it was just a bad day, and you are good at maths, I would keep Maths on and work on bringing up your AS exams. Ensure you don't repeat your S1, as it will be very hard to repeat next year, not studying any stats in A2.

Like i say, if it was just a bad day, keep the maths on and work on it, dropping a subject you got an A at AS and may not get at A2. That way you would have e.g. AAAa. This route is not for everyone though!
But I've heard that c3 and c4 are much much harder... :/ and I'd not be able to resist thoseThank you so much for the reply!!My aim is AAAb (at the end of A2)Ive had struggles in general with this whole AS year due to domestic disturbances but i really dont want to rely on that when applying for uni.
urkadee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SimplyGuided)
But I've heard that c3 and c4 are much much harder... :/ and I'd not be able to resist thoseThank you so much for the reply!!My aim is AAAb (at the end of A2)Ive had struggles in general with this whole AS year due to domestic disturbances but i really dont want to rely on that when applying for uni.
Well, generally S1 is much easier than mechanics to gain high UMS. At AS I got a low B in C1(bad day), A* in C2 , and an A in M1, so if you were to possibly get an A* in S1 (90+ ish), a middle-ish B or above in C1 (about 77 UMS), you could get 73 in C2 and get an A. I would advise aiming for the B in AS and not repeat any modules.

A B is 210 UMS, so to be just on the B you could get 43 UMS (using 77 for C1 and 90 for S1). Do not worry!!
SimplyGuided
Rep:
?
Well, generally S1 is much easier than mechanics to gain high UMS. At AS I got a low B in C1(bad day), A* in C2 , and an A in M1, so if you were to possibly get an A* in S1 (90+ ish), a middle-ish B or above in C1 (about 77 UMS), you could get 73 in C2 and get an A. I would advise aiming for the B in AS and not repeat any modules.

A B is 210 UMS, so to be just on the B you could get 43 UMS (using 77 for C1 and 90 for S1). Do not worry!!
Yea im aiming for more than 90% in S1 to get a b, but i keep making silly mistakes whilst doing papers, any advice?
Especially when timing isnt great...s1 feels a bit tight for timing
urkadee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SimplyGuided)
Yea im aiming for more than 90% in S1 to get a b, but i keep making silly mistakes whilst doing papers, any advice?
Especially when timing isnt great...s1 feels a bit tight for timing
I agree, I have so many exams next week I don't know when to study S1.
I think mainly do the questions by topic, like start with all those questions that test on Sxx, Sxy, then do all the Probability questions, etc. Learn off all your formulae, some of them questions are merely recall questions, and you won't get the answer unless you have the formula. I haven't done maths in a while (due to the rest of my exams), so trying to refresh my memory too. Use examsolutions.net if you're stuck on a question, he does all the S1 questions out in a video

Keep finding out where you go wrong, its more than likely the same place each time. Work on it. Don't do the questions you know so you feel better about yourself (a lot of people do this). At this point only do the questions you aren't 100% sure on, and then just do questions that look difficult.
SimplyGuided
Rep:
?
I agree, I have so many exams next week I don't know when to study S1.
I think mainly do the questions by topic, like start with all those questions that test on Sxx, Sxy, then do all the Probability questions, etc. Learn off all your formulae, some of them questions are merely recall questions, and you won't get the answer unless you have the formula. I haven't done maths in a while (due to the rest of my exams), so trying to refresh my memory too. Use examsolutions.net if you're stuck on a question, he does all the S1 questions out in a video

Keep finding out where you go wrong, its more than likely the same place each time. Work on it. Don't do the questions you know so you feel better about yourself (a lot of people do this). At this point only do the questions you aren't 100% sure on, and then just do questions that look difficult.
Thank you so much!
urkadee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem, if you have any more trouble I'd be happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads