Why do people take their Gcses in January?

Watch
Futurechemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Title says it all! And oh because of gcse reforms does that mean IGCSES are less respected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damien_Dalgaard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no.

Actually doing iGCSE's and doing sufficiently well on them has led me to have a sense of superiority over the gcse betas.
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took my maths in January because our teacher was confident that our class would get our predicted grades and we were already prepared for the exam - no point hanging around and doing more practise. We were going to get the same grade whether we did it in january or in the summer.

Compost
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Futurechemist)
Title says it all!
Because they can? Many schools enter stduents for GCSes in Year 10, this is just a less extreme version - it takes some of the pressure off.

And oh because of gcse reforms does that mean IGCSES are less respected?
No, it's just the politicians messing with the system. I haven't seen all the specifications on offer butin the Sciences the IGCSE content is significantly more challenging (hence very few state schools chose to do them over GCSEs). In languages the capacity for massive cheating in the 60% of the GCSE that forms controlled assessment isn't there (ditto). CIE English language is the only IGCSE I have seen where I think some students may find it suits them better than GCSE.
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Title says it all! And oh because of gcse reforms does that mean IGCSES are less respected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IGCSE isn't in the stupid politics control so they can do it as hard or as easy they want. IGCSE is old O-Level, making the GCSEs look like babywork but GCSEs are being reformed into being harder, and while GCSEs get harder IGCSE CIE gets harder to kepe it better then GCSE.
Futurechemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
But according to bbc
"The 2017 league tables will include only the new qualifications - IGCSEs, which are unchanged, will not count."
"Schools which, in all good faith, had planned to continue using IGCSE qualifications", would have to reconsider those plans.
"It also has serious consequences for young people,"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But according to bbc
"The 2017 league tables will include only the new qualifications - IGCSEs, which are unchanged, will not count."
"Schools which, in all good faith, had planned to continue using IGCSE qualifications", would have to reconsider those plans.
"It also has serious consequences for young people,"
And your point is?
IGCSEs did not count in league tables before 2010, but that did not stop many independent schools teaching them as they saw them as more rigorous and a better preparation for A level. There were even a few state schools (mainly grammars) that did the same, accepting that they wouldlook terrible in league tables but believing that it was in the interests of their students.

The government has no control over the content of IGCSEs, which may be the problem, but they have international recognition.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For some subjects you're ready by January, it also allows you to retake it if needed or do further/advanced version after. E.G I did Maths GCSE in November then could do Additional maths after it for June.
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Better taking some stuff at the peak of your ability rather than at a fixed time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (281)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.95%
Isolating with family (130)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.32%
Loneliness (182)
9.9%
Financial worries (75)
4.08%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.75%

Watched Threads