The Student Room Group

Offer holder - reading list?

Hi, I'm currently holding an offer for Modern Languages (French and Beginners' Italian) and I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage we should expect a reading list? Do they wait until after results? It's just that there isn't much time by then until term starts, but at the same time it would feel odd to start preparing when you don't even know if you have a place? :smile:
Original post by rebeccafrances
Hi, I'm currently holding an offer for Modern Languages (French and Beginners' Italian) and I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage we should expect a reading list? Do they wait until after results? It's just that there isn't much time by then until term starts, but at the same time it would feel odd to start preparing when you don't even know if you have a place? :smile:

It depends on the college and modules you will be taking. I would really suggest not doing any reading at all until after you start. You will be set up 15 books to read per week when here at Ox, and unless you know what you should be looking for it's all a little pointless to be honest. Just enjoy the rest of sixth form and have a restful break, you'll be doing work before you know it and then you'll wish you took it easier!
Original post by colourtheory
It depends on the college and modules you will be taking. I would really suggest not doing any reading at all until after you start. You will be set up 15 books to read per week when here at Ox, and unless you know what you should be looking for it's all a little pointless to be honest. Just enjoy the rest of sixth form and have a restful break, you'll be doing work before you know it and then you'll wish you took it easier!

Okay, thanks! It's just that because I'm starting Italian from scratch, I know I'll be expected to do some preparation for that, and I'm just unsure as to when that might become 'official' work, as they've said there will be preparatory work before term starts. :smile:
Original post by rebeccafrances
Okay, thanks! It's just that because I'm starting Italian from scratch, I know I'll be expected to do some preparation for that, and I'm just unsure as to when that might become 'official' work, as they've said there will be preparatory work before term starts. :smile:

In that case, do the minimum prep work. You'll begin classes and tutors will assume that nobody did the work over the summer, trust me! XD

Quick Reply

Latest