The Student Room Group

AQA Computing Unit 1 Exam Just 1st 2015

AS-Level Computing Thread
Hey, couldn't find a thread for this but the exam is in 2 days so thought I would make one for general discussion, Will only be able to help with the Pascal version of the pre-release documentation but I'm sure there are others on here that can help with other languages.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I think I'm pretty well prepared for this exam, but I don't want to speak too soon.

I've created flash cards to help me quickly recall certain things for specific topics and covered a lot of programming for the skeleton code (which of course takes up about a third of the marks in the exam).

Just for other peoples benefit, I think these things are very important to cover for the upcoming COMP1 exam the coming Monday.

Theory Element:
-Sound (this comes up every year according to my speculation)
-Signed and Unsigned binary calculations (comes up as the first few questions more often than not and gives an easy 5 marks at least).
-Finite State Machines (I saw the EAD and predict that Q13 is a FSM question based on the way the table looks like).
-Find a stepper, fixed, user-defined data type and an array value in the skeleton program for Section C.

Programming Element:
-Manipulate pieces behaviour to behave like Chess pieces (this is probably very likely)
-Learn to create and implement a save/load function in the skeleton program (the last question from the EAD has 18 marks and save/load function is the only thing that comes to mind which can possible contain that many marks - considering that whatever it may be, it must be easily programmable in any language).
-Try creating a Witch piece (coz why would AQA hint it in the preliminary material and not deliver on the clues...)

If anyone has objections or further additions, please let me know! I'm eager to be as prepared as I possible can for this exam!
Reply 2
Original post by OWNAJ3D
I think I'm pretty well prepared for this exam, but I don't want to speak too soon.

I've created flash cards to help me quickly recall certain things for specific topics and covered a lot of programming for the skeleton code (which of course takes up about a third of the marks in the exam).

Just for other peoples benefit, I think these things are very important to cover for the upcoming COMP1 exam the coming Monday.

Theory Element:
-Sound (this comes up every year according to my speculation)
-Signed and Unsigned binary calculations (comes up as the first few questions more often than not and gives an easy 5 marks at least).
-Finite State Machines (I saw the EAD and predict that Q13 is a FSM question based on the way the table looks like).
-Find a stepper, fixed, user-defined data type and an array value in the skeleton program for Section C.

Programming Element:
-Manipulate pieces behaviour to behave like Chess pieces (this is probably very likely)
-Learn to create and implement a save/load function in the skeleton program (the last question from the EAD has 18 marks and save/load function is the only thing that comes to mind which can possible contain that many marks - considering that whatever it may be, it must be easily programmable in any language).
-Try creating a Witch piece (coz why would AQA hint it in the preliminary material and not deliver on the clues...)

If anyone has objections or further additions, please let me know! I'm eager to be as prepared as I possible can for this exam!

The witch piece, how do you think it will move because the logic behind an infinite diagonal moving piece such as a queen from chess would require quite a bit of brainstorming, I'm hoping it takes the place of the ZigZag education booklet Witch where it can 'Fly' to any tile within 2 Squares, thats a nicer piece...

Also the save feature, do you think you would need to save whose turn it is, because I cannot get my load feature to return whoseturn it is without it changing to white somewhere...
Original post by TMudd
The witch piece, how do you think it will move because the logic behind an infinite diagonal moving piece such as a queen from chess would require quite a bit of brainstorming, I'm hoping it takes the place of the ZigZag education booklet Witch where it can 'Fly' to any tile within 2 Squares, thats a nicer piece...

Also the save feature, do you think you would need to save whose turn it is, because I cannot get my load feature to return whoseturn it is without it changing to white somewhere...

I think the witch will move like the queen in chess, it isnt that difficult to work out the diagonal movement.

As for whose turn, just load the game after the program changes WhoseTurn to "W" in sub main. For example in VB.NetPlayAgain = "Y"
Do
WhoseTurn = "W"
GameOver = False

Console.WriteLine("Do you want to load your saved game? (Enter Y for yes)":wink:
GameLoad = Console.ReadLine()
If GameLoad = "Y" Then
Call your loadgame function here
Else
Console.Write("Do you want to play the sample game (enter Y for Yes)? ":wink:
SampleGame = Console.ReadLine
If Asc(SampleGame) >= 97 And Asc(SampleGame) <= 122 Then
SampleGame = Chr(Asc(SampleGame) - 32) End If InitialiseBoard(Board, SampleGame)
End If
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Can someone post the code for a witch piece and a code for save game vb?
Reply 6
Can someone link me to the electronic answer document?
Reply 7
Original post by Hexol
Can someone link me to the electronic answer document?

Here you go :smile:
Reply 8
Anyone else think AQA where a bit cheeky in this paper? Section A was fine and expected. Section B was pretty easy but a few people will be thrown with MOD. Section C was harder with a truth table for some code. Section D was different which made it harder. We are all used to writing code in subroutines but most of the questions got you to write it inside the main program. The last saving question was quite ridiculous. You had to read in the array to a variable, then remove all the letters, then make black lowercase, then add a / and then reload it. Overall it was alright, but a bit cheeky. Any thoughts?
Reply 9
Original post by frosts23
Anyone else think AQA where a bit cheeky in this paper? Section A was fine and expected. Section B was pretty easy but a few people will be thrown with MOD. Section C was harder with a truth table for some code. Section D was different which made it harder. We are all used to writing code in subroutines but most of the questions got you to write it inside the main program. The last saving question was quite ridiculous. You had to read in the array to a variable, then remove all the letters, then make black lowercase, then add a / and then reload it. Overall it was alright, but a bit cheeky. Any thoughts?

In Python the last question was difficult but completable.

Make a for loop for each Rank. (For Rank in range(1, 9))

Inside make another for loop for each File. (For FIle in range(1, 9))

Inside the for loop read the Board[Rank] [File] to a variable. This is the piece you will be working with.

Read the second character and make it upper or lowercase depending on if the first character is W or B.

At the end of each Rank add a "/"

The difficult part is making it so that it prints the number of spaces in a row instead of each space individually.

For this I decided that if there was a space instead of letters add 1 to a count.

If you find a piece that is not a space (the chain of spaces is over) and the space count is more than 0 then print this number, reset your count of spaces and carry on as normal...

Also add a check at the end of each Rank to make sure the space count has been added (for ranks that are all spaces)

That is how I did it...
Reply 10
Last question was very difficult indeed, for Pascal I went down more of a double for loop with 3 selection statements, a Variable to store the number of spaces, a number to store that in string value, 2 stepper variables and a lot of logic, it worked and then at the end just had to reset the count variable to 0 and the string to empty... Was completable but bloody hell took me some time....

Also anyone get the incorrect Hamming Code digit to be the 6th one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by iJames55
In Python the last question was difficult but completable.

Make a for loop for each Rank. (For Rank in range(1, 9))

Inside make another for loop for each File. (For FIle in range(1, 9))

Inside the for loop read the Board[Rank] [File] to a variable. This is the piece you will be working with.

Read the second character and make it upper or lowercase depending on if the first character is W or B.

At the end of each Rank add a "/"

The difficult part is making it so that it prints the number of spaces in a row instead of each space individually.

For this I decided that if there was a space instead of letters add 1 to a count.

If you find a piece that is not a space (the chain of spaces is over) and the space count is more than 0 then print this number, reset your count of spaces and carry on as normal...

Also add a check at the end of each Rank to make sure the space count has been added (for ranks that are all spaces)

That is how I did it...

Thats pretty much what I did in Pascal except mine was probably a little more inefficient with converting the space counter into a string and concating onto my StoreFEN variable along with the upper or lower case version of the letter Hoping for an A overall but always living in fear of the grade boundaries...
Reply 12
Original post by TMudd
Last question was very difficult indeed, for Pascal I went down more of a double for loop with 3 selection statements, a Variable to store the number of spaces, a number to store that in string value, 2 stepper variables and a lot of logic, it worked and then at the end just had to reset the count variable to 0 and the string to empty... Was completable but bloody hell took me some time....

Also anyone get the incorrect Hamming Code digit to be the 6th one?

Yeah, got 6 as well, 2 and 4 incorrect. Took some time to explain it in the previous question!
Reply 13
Original post by frosts23
Yeah, got 6 as well, 2 and 4 incorrect. Took some time to explain it in the previous question!

I explained it in terms of using a XOR gate and figuring out which bits need to be changed to get the check digits and converting to decimal and then that value is the incorrect digit... Probably lose some marks due to the wording of it :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending