The Student Room Group

Work experience for personal statement

I really want to do maths at uni but I left my work experience to the last minute and now have it in a centre that helps kids with mental disorders. I am considering doing psychology and maths as a joint degree for uni as well but it's not priority for me like straight maths.

So now I'm scared in case I do this work experience and write about it in my personal statement when applying for a maths course and the uni doesn't give me an offer because I'd have no experience in a maths career environment because I've heard that work experience is really important in your personal statement.

Should I look for another work experience placement to do with maths over the summer or will I be ok writing about centre for kids??
What year are you in? I seem to remember the only compulsory work experience stuff we did was in year 10 - I spent a week in an architects and another in a primary school, now studying science at uni. It really doesn't matter if your year 10 work experience is in something completely irrelevant!

If you're just finishing AS levels though, this is the time to be getting some useful stuff for your personal statement - so yes, if you can find a work experience placement for a few days/ week over the summer in something maths-related that would be great :smile: It's by no means essential though - loads of people don't do any work experience placements but demonstrate their interest for their subject in other ways instead - e.g. volunteering to teach maths to younger students, writing maths blogs, reading maths books, doing a maths related EPQ, going on a summer school, etc.

Tbh, a lot of unis just want to see a certain level of interest in your subject, and then the required grades. They understand that not everyone has the connections or time to organise a relevant work experience placement. Some unis might be pleased to see that you are also interested in helping other people, as demonstrated through your work experience placement for example.
Reply 2
Original post by dragonkeeper999
What year are you in? I seem to remember the only compulsory work experience stuff we did was in year 10 - I spent a week in an architects and another in a primary school, now studying science at uni. It really doesn't matter if your year 10 work experience is in something completely irrelevant!

If you're just finishing AS levels though, this is the time to be getting some useful stuff for your personal statement - so yes, if you can find a work experience placement for a few days/ week over the summer in something maths-related that would be great :smile: It's by no means essential though - loads of people don't do any work experience placements but demonstrate their interest for their subject in other ways instead - e.g. volunteering to teach maths to younger students, writing maths blogs, reading maths books, doing a maths related EPQ, going on a summer school, etc.

Tbh, a lot of unis just want to see a certain level of interest in your subject, and then the required grades. They understand that not everyone has the connections or time to organise a relevant work experience placement. Some unis might be pleased to see that you are also interested in helping other people, as demonstrated through your work experience placement for example.

I'm in lower sixth now but my school makes us do our work experience in lower sixth rather than year 10.
So it shouldn't lower my chances of getting a place or anything just as long as i do something else thats maths related?? I'm just nervous because my careers teacher kept on saying that there's no point in doing work experience if it's nothing to do with your uni course.
Original post by Lauren45894
I'm in lower sixth now but my school makes us do our work experience in lower sixth rather than year 10.
So it shouldn't lower my chances of getting a place or anything just as long as i do something else thats maths related?? I'm just nervous because my careers teacher kept on saying that there's no point in doing work experience if it's nothing to do with your uni course.

Yeah, mind you I didn't bother mentioning my non-relevant work experience on my UCAS form. So if you are planning on this work experience making up a significant component of your UCAS form then it would be a good idea to get some more maths-y experience too. That being sad, perhaps you can try and get some maths into your current work experience placement - e.g. by volunteering to help the kids with maths? Tbh, it's really hard to get work experience directly relevant to your degree, so universities aren't specifically looking for it - if you've got it, great, but it's definitely not required.

I'd recommend you do the work experience placement you've been offered, perhaps look into additional placements too, but mainly focus on all the other things you can do much more easily for your personal statement - e.g. reading maths books, attending summer schools/ taster days, entering maths competitions, blogging about maths, doing a maths MOOC online course, doing some kind of maths related project (e.g. EPQ), volunteering to help other students with maths in AS classes/ lunchtime maths workshops, etc.
You don't have to have work experience to apply for a maths course. Unis appreciate that it's difficult to get relevant work experience and that you may not have the time. Don't talk about irrelevant experience just for the sake of putting something in. You have till January to submit your PS so don't panic. You can try and organise something between now and then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending