The Student Room Group

thinking about leaving medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow this thread is so insightful..I'm in a similar position and any advice here would be welcomed.

I've finished my second year of medical school and I've realised I do not want to work as a doctor. This was not a sudden decision, but something I have been thinking about for a while now. I'm quite sure I would prefer industry or research.
My two options now are either to intercalate in something such as BSc Biomedical Engineering, and then return to Medicine and finish the five years. I've also been advised to undergo my two foundation years too so that my MBBS would be 'worthwhile'. My second option is to leave Medicine now and start an MEng in Medical Engineering.
I'm really confused because whilst I do find interesting and enjoy what we learn about in Medicine, and I know that I can go into industry and research, I also crave the maths, creativity and innovation that engineering offers.
I know for me neuroscience and hormones are generally more interesting than circuits and robotics, but in Medicine we just follow protocol and guidelines, I want to be able to give my own thoughts in design and research projects, and get early links with industry than engineering would offer. Is that reason enough to leave?

Whilst it is definitely the safer option the stay, because I like what I'm learning and am good at it, just the thought of doing Medicine for the next five years (3 for medical school and FY1 and FY2) is daunting and overwhelming. I feel like I'd be spending my prime years where I don't want to be.

Besides this, would a BSc and MSc in biomedical engineering offer the same or similar job prospects as an MEng in biomedical engineering? I'm very much interested in biotechnology, so I think this is where I would like to work in the future.

PS. At my medical school the theory and clinical practice are together- we have placements every module from Year 1 so I've already experienced the clinical environment for about half the time I've been on my course, and I know I do not want to work in a clinical environment.

I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!
Original post by happyxo
Wow this thread is so insightful..I'm in a similar position and any advice here would be welcomed.

I've finished my second year of medical school and I've realised I do not want to work as a doctor. This was not a sudden decision, but something I have been thinking about for a while now. I'm quite sure I would prefer industry or research.
My two options now are either to intercalate in something such as BSc Biomedical Engineering, and then return to Medicine and finish the five years. I've also been advised to undergo my two foundation years too so that my MBBS would be 'worthwhile'. My second option is to leave Medicine now and start an MEng in Medical Engineering.
I'm really confused because whilst I do find interesting and enjoy what we learn about in Medicine, and I know that I can go into industry and research, I also crave the maths, creativity and innovation that engineering offers.
I know for me neuroscience and hormones are generally more interesting than circuits and robotics, but in Medicine we just follow protocol and guidelines, I want to be able to give my own thoughts in design and research projects, and get early links with industry than engineering would offer. Is that reason enough to leave?

Whilst it is definitely the safer option the stay, because I like what I'm learning and am good at it, just the thought of doing Medicine for the next five years (3 for medical school and FY1 and FY2) is daunting and overwhelming. I feel like I'd be spending my prime years where I don't want to be.

Besides this, would a BSc and MSc in biomedical engineering offer the same or similar job prospects as an MEng in biomedical engineering? I'm very much interested in biotechnology, so I think this is where I would like to work in the future.

PS. At my medical school the theory and clinical practice are together- we have placements every module from Year 1 so I've already experienced the clinical environment for about half the time I've been on my course, and I know I do not want to work in a clinical environment.

I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

First of all - I'm sorry you're feeling like this! Soldiering on with a degree you're not enjoying is a completely unenviable situation to be in.

Can't really tell you which route would be best for you (only you know whether you'd be happier in one particular career or another!)... but I can tell you that there's a third option, which is to intercalate and then leave (with the intercalated BSc/MA/whatever else you decide to do) - that way you will have a degree but not have to stick through the remaining few years of medical school. As an alternative, and if you didn't fancy intercalating, some universities (if not all) will let you leave at the end of third year with an unclassified BSc in Medical Sciences. As you're only at the end of second year, I'd be tempted to see if I could jump onto an intercalation for the coming academic year. :smile:
If you already know your heart is not in it then it's definitely worth exploring alternative careers. Your uni will have a careers service and they can normally advise on non medical careers too. Otherwise it might be worth visiting a job centre or recruitment agency to see what you might be well suited to or qualified for.
There are lots of other options available to you, you just need to uncover them first!
related a lot, so much support on this thread.
Reply 24
Recently discussed this with my educational supervisor. I was told that I should finish F2 or else everything would have been a waste and if I decide to come back, I would have to do F1 again. I knew my supervisor was going to say this so I wasn't surprised and I haven't let it affect me too much. But I'm not sure they're right. I'm a F2 now, I've completed F1, so why would I have to do the whole two years again? And the conversation reinforced the kind of mentality we have in medicine 'just do it', 'keep going' 'only stop if there's a major reason'.
Original post by MedicZd
Recently discussed this with my educational supervisor. I was told that I should finish F2 or else everything would have been a waste and if I decide to come back, I would have to do F1 again. I knew my supervisor was going to say this so I wasn't surprised and I haven't let it affect me too much. But I'm not sure they're right. I'm a F2 now, I've completed F1, so why would I have to do the whole two years again? And the conversation reinforced the kind of mentality we have in medicine 'just do it', 'keep going' 'only stop if there's a major reason'.

It depends what changes they make in the future. You probably wouldn't have to do it again, but they are thinking of changing the registration time so its hard to say for sure.

As things stand though: If you're fully registered you're fully registered, no need to do FY1 again. It depends how likely you are to come back to medicine as to whether completing FY2 would be worth it - certainly you get a lot more options come ST1 - you can retreat to a lab speciality, comfortably take a year out doing locums, lots of options. If you do wish to come back to medicine then he is right in saying that post-FY2 is the more natural career break than post-FY1, but its up to you.

Remember that your educational supervisor may be very nice etc, but if you are/will be working under them, they do have a personal incentive to try to keep you on. Locums to replace you are not easy to find these days!
Reply 26
Original post by nexttime

Remember that your educational supervisor may be very nice etc, but if you are/will be working under them, they do have a personal incentive to try to keep you on. Locums to replace you are not easy to find these days!

It's funny you should say that, because I will be working in their department in my last rotation. Either way I am planning on finishing F2.

I'm hearing rumours that things are going to change. It'll be interesting to know what'll happen.
I think it's better to finish a year and then take time out, for what it's worth. Nobody will question that but they will look at the fact you quit a job part-way through - non-medics included will ask why you quit a job, and some people will think you're great and chasing your dreams and other people will put a question mark about your stickability, daft as it sounds. Also you need good references for any future job. I know you're planning on finishing F2 either way, but just saying for anybody else thinking, it's worth considering this stuff :P

That and I think in F2 (depending on where you are and how much responsibility you're given) you can actually gain really valuable experiences that help you decide whether to stay in medicine or not. I had two such jobs - one where I nearly quit and one I actually felt good about again. If I'd stopped at the start of F2 my perspective on the job would be super different.
Well F2 is actually 3 distinct jobs afterall so I don't think that there is anything wrong with not completing the full year, and you cannot be given a poor reference as long as you act professionally and give the required period of notice. I don't think that people would question your "stickability" if you can justify your reasons for leaving.
I also think it's unlikely your educational supervisor will have given you unbiased advice, and so would definitely advocate speaking to someone who can! As an F2 you have achieved full registration already so the idea that if you don't finish everything will have been a waste is obviously rubbish. Hopefully you can find a senior to discuss things with who actually knows what they're talking about!
Original post by Pantha66
I'd like to offer an alternate opinion to the predictable responses already posted here. Don't bother with F1 and F2. Why the **** should you? People always seem inclined to tell you to just "push a little bit more, do that next bit, otherwise its a 'waste' ". What a load of BS. Do yourself a favour and set aside some time to work out what you truly enjoy, where your passions lie and start on a plan to work towards them. Do not fall into the trap of believing all of these other "play-it-safers" that believe that because you've done a medical degree you must go onto the next prescribed stage even though you don't enjoy clinical medicine.

A friend of mine at Cambridge hated clinical medicine, decided to push through to the end of his degree and went into research. Hes recently moved to Berlin and is carrying out some world class research into influenza. Another friend just finished medical school in Manchester, hated the prospect of spending his life on the wards and so spent his summer break reading up on economics and finance and applied for a position at an asset management/IB firm, got to interview and secured the position and so sacked off the F1 position he had as backup.
One of my close friends dropped out of medical school towards the end of his fourth year (4 of 6) simply because he had no dreams of becoming a doctor. He is leaving to travel the world in October and has set up a web development website to fund his travels while he does so. You are NOT beholden to anything my friend. You're young and entering the best years of your life. Trade space for time Goddamit. TIme is so important. Don't ****ing waste it living a life you dont want to lead.

A little about myself. I've just finished my 4th year of medical school, meaning I have 5th and 6th remaining. I entered medical school for the wrong reasons. I never dreamt of being a doctor, medical school was simply the choice I made at 18 given my strong academic record and the fact that the course was supposed to be challenging, rewarding and prestigious. I've signed the papers to leave the course at this stage despite the world and his wife telling me to "just finish the course". Oh and then I suppose id get these fools telling me to just "do F1". Sack that. I have plans for my life. I know what I want to do and no i havent "wasted" all that time. Ive learnt a hell of a lot. Ive matured and, yes unfortunately ive got some big student debt but ill be dammed if I let it force me into a life of cowardice, of following a well worn path simply because it "makes sense". Don't listen to the naysayers. Work hard, smash life and go out there and achieve what you truly want to achieve, not what anyone else thinks is respectable.

You are so wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending