The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths GCSE exam / 4th June changed paper...

As you may or may not be aware, recently the edexcel maths paper has been altered for GCSE this year and instead of being able to previously ace past papers and ace the exam, this years exam as changed and as a result means it will test your "Maths abilities more than your past paper ability". WHat does this mean? Will it be harder and grade boundaries lowered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by golfcam
As you may or may not be aware, recently the edexcel maths paper has been altered for GCSE this year and instead of being able to previously ace past papers and ace the exam, this years exam as changed and as a result means it will test your "Maths abilities more than your past paper ability". WHat does this mean? Will it be harder and grade boundaries lowered?

Could you give us a link to where it says that?
I'm probably going to fail maths...

I thought i had a chance, obviously not.
Reply 3
Original post by golfcam

This is what every exam sets out to do.
You're getting a grade in Maths, not memory recall.
Think about it - does it really seem that crazy that they'd want to test that? :giggle:

It means nothing. Nothing will change. It is still a Maths exam testing your mathematical ability :yep:

Don't panic.
Original post by Midnightmemories
I'm probably going to fail maths...

I thought i had a chance, obviously not.

My hopes of doing well, also, just went down the ****ter :tongue:
Original post by Neuth
This is what every exam sets out to do.
You're getting a grade in Maths, not memory recall.
Think about it - does it really seem that crazy that they'd want to test that? :giggle:

It means nothing. Nothing will change. It is still a Maths exam testing your mathematical ability :yep:

Don't panic.

Hard not to when maths is the one thing holding me back from my college course...
Reply 6
But your missing the best point, it could change for the better, or they could be wordier questions liek WJEC. The good thing about it is if it does get harder, then the grade boundaries get lower. It's already 49/100 to get A B and roughly 68/100 to get an A
Reply 7
Original post by slowdive
My hopes of doing well, also, just went down the ****ter :tongue:

Why? Because a Maths test is now testing your Maths? Gosh, who'd have thought it :giggle:

Relax. You will be fine. Nothing has changed. Honest :hugs:

Original post by Midnightmemories
Hard not to when maths is the one thing holding me back from my college course...

Oi you - you have 5 A-Level Mathematicians helping you out 24/7, and from Tuesday I'll be doing constant questions with you - there is no way you won't do amazingly. Believe in yourself :hugs:
Reply 8
Original post by golfcam
But your missing the best point, it could change for the better, or they could be wordier questions liek WJEC. The good thing about it is if it does get harder, then the grade boundaries get lower. It's already 49/100 to get A B and roughly 68/100 to get an A

It's still testing the same knowledge - if it's a wordier question just take your time and think through it logically - you'll be fine :hugs:

The grade boundaries reflect on the toughness of the paper, like you say.
If it is a harder paper, the grade boundaries will be lower, and you'll do just as well :h:
I think there will be questions where you have to explain yourself more instead of just calculating a number. Which is good it tests our thinking more then just memorising a method
Original post by Neuth

Oi you - you have 5 A-Level Mathematicians helping you out 24/7, and from Tuesday I'll be doing constant questions with you - there is no way you won't do amazingly. Believe in yourself :hugs:

:jumphug: thank you for believing in me..
Reply 11
Original post by SuperHuman98
I think there will be questions where you have to explain yourself more instead of just calculating a number. Which is good it tests our thinking more then just memorising a method

Prove that questions are loved by exams board. :yep: Means that you can check that person knows how to do something and if they can't they can still do the next question using the prove that statement above. But really you are just working out the same answer.
This is the first I've heard of this and now I'm seriously worrying
Reply 13
Original post by beth.rose

Don't worry. The spec is the same and you have been taught for it. You'll do awesomely. :awesome:
Reply 14
Original post by beth.rose

Don't worry :console:
They're testing the same things. You know how to do it all. You're fine.
They can't test you on something you've never been taught. Remember that.
Reply 15
Original post by 8472
Prove that questions are loved by exams board. :yep: Means that you can check that person knows how to do something and if they can't they can still do the next question using the prove that statement above. But really you are just working out the same answer.

That is true, they aren't allowed to go off syllabus and you have covered all the topics it can ask anyway
Seriously worried about this exam now..

Thanks a lot...
Reply 17
Edexcel Maths News
There isn't anything there about any changes to the exam. :smile: Each year the exams are slightly different as the examiners test different areas and try out new questions. When you open the paper it'll be the same as usual. Don't let this thread panic or worry you. You will do awesomely. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 8472
Don't worry. The spec is the same and you have been taught for it. You'll do awesomely. :awesome:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Neuth
Don't worry :console:
They're testing the same things. You know how to do it all. You're fine.
They can't test you on something you've never been taught. Remember that.

Thank you (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending