Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be doing A level Philosophy & Ethics (religious studies) and it will be on the OCR exam board. I am just wondering what topics or units you specifically learn about on the OCR course in AS & A2 year? How is the course broken down and what is the subject content? I'd just like to know what to expect.
    Many thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by existential)
    Hi, I will be doing A level Philosophy & Ethics (religious studies) and it will be on the OCR exam board. I am just wondering what topics or units you specifically learn about on the OCR course in AS & A2 year? How is the course broken down and what is the subject content? I'd just like to know what to expect.
    Many thanks
    Philosophy:

Plato, Aristotle, Judaeo-Christian Concepts of God is Good and God as a Creator, The Teleological Argument, Kant's Moral Argument, The Ontological Argument, Religion and Science, The Problem of Evil and The Cosmological Argument.

I think that's it. And for Ethics, you study a balance of theory and application:

Religious Ethics (Christian - for us), War and Peace, Abortion, Right to a child, Genetic Engineering, Utilitarianism, Absolutism and Relativism, Natural Moral Law, Kantian Ethics and Euthanasia.

ReputationRep:
    The exam consists of a choice of 4 essays out of a possible 8. You choose four as I said, and that's 2 a)'s and 2 b)'s - b's are evaluative and worth 10 marks, a's are 21 marks and explain questions.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Many thanks
    I've moved this to the correct forum for you

Good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davelongcock)
    x
    A science is not for everyone

ReputationRep:
    x
    That's a joke. Most philosophers are the ones who even made science and mathematics a thing. Maybe you should get a brain and realise not everyone likes science and maths and other subjects aren't inferior to STEM.

Not to mention that just because this user stated they are doing Philosophy and Ethics does not completely remove the possibility that they are doing a maths/science subject as another a-level. I did this subject and Biology. Don't be so judgmental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    That's a joke. Most philosophers are the ones who even made science and mathematics a thing. Maybe you should get a brain and realise not everyone likes science and maths and other subjects aren't inferior to STEM.

Not to mention that just because this user stated they are doing Philosophy and Ethics does not completely remove the possibility that they are doing a maths/science subject as another a-level. I did this subject and Biology. Don't be so judgmental.
    100% agree with this! I don't understand why people are so judgemental about subjects that are not a science. Philosophy & Ethics seems to quite a hands-on subject in terms of thinking and essay writing, it shouldn't be looked down upon.

ReputationRep:
    get a ****ing brain and do a science
    errrm...right.

Philosophy and Ethics is really difficult in it's own right just like any other A-Level. It requires the use of certain skills that science subjects don't focus on, so a philosophy student has no less of a brain than a science student - they just use different skills. For example, science stresses logical thinking and re-call which is totally different from analysis and evaluation which is needed to write a decent essay.

This is coming from someone that studies Philosophy and Ethics as well as Biology and Chemistry.

So hush your gums because you're making yourself out to be a bit of a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    100% agree with this! I don't understand why people are so judgemental about subjects that are not a science. Philosophy & Ethics seems to quite a hands-on subject in terms of thinking and essay writing, it shouldn't be looked down upon.
    My teacher did sciences and philosophy for A-level and she went to Cambridge and she said it is one of the hardest A-levels and unlike anything else because it is incredibly abstract and I totally agree with her. I thought it wouldn't be too bad, how wrong I was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaggiePieee)
    errrm...right.

Philosophy and Ethics is really difficult in it's own right just like any other A-Level. It requires the use of certain skills that science subjects don't focus on, so a philosophy student has no less of a brain than a science student - they just use different skills. For example, science stresses logical thinking and re-call which is totally different from analysis and evaluation which is needed to write a decent essay.

This is coming from someone that studies Philosophy and Ethics as well as Biology and Chemistry.

So hush your gums because you're making yourself out to be a bit of a hypocrite.
    Hi, I will also be doing philosophy and ethics along side biology and chemistry, I just wanted to ask how you are finding the workload, what is your favorite/least favorite subject ? and which is your easiest/hardest ? also any tips or further reading i should do before starting philosophy and ethics ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2015

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.